Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Boss Red Seven

Imperial HUGE Ships...I'm Calling It.

2,477 posts in this topic

So, if the Gozanti really is 75 meters, then with the sliding scale I guesstimate it would be about 10% smaller than the transport.  Now THAT is a huge ship that I can stat!

So, like the transport it would have 1 ship card.  Unlike the transport this thing is armed.

It would have a primary weapon in a turret, and be able to take one hardpoint upgrade. It would be less effective as an electronic warfare boat than the transport, but probably still a decent fleet supporter.

PS: 4

A: 3 (turret)

E: 3

H: 7

S: 6

Actions: Target Lock, Coordinate, Jam(?), Recover

--

Upgrade Bar: [Crew] [Team] [Hardpoint] [Module] [Module]

I think this would represent a Gonzanti Cruiser, and shouldn't make it overpowered.  Anyone have any Idea on points?

Hobojebus and oneway like this

So, if the Gozanti really is 75 meters, then with the sliding scale I guesstimate it would be about 10% smaller than the transport.  Now THAT is a huge ship that I can stat!

So, like the transport it would have 1 ship card.  Unlike the transport this thing is armed.

It would have a primary weapon in a turret, and be able to take one hardpoint upgrade. It would be less effective as an electronic warfare boat than the transport, but probably still a decent fleet supporter.

--

I think this would represent a Gonzanti Cruiser, and shouldn't make it overpowered.  Anyone have any Idea on points?

I would run it at a base 35 points say. Then you can add the piggybacking (belly clinging in this case) TIE as a reinforcing unit and so forth.

:D

Corellian Corvette likes this

http://palinmaz.deviantart.com/art/Imperial-Gozanti-471031095

For Comparison, Here is a 42 meter Imperial Gozanti next to a 75 meter version. I think the 75 makes a lot more sense.

Anyone else come across this theory that the Gozanti is actually 75 meters

I thought I had seen something where it was stated as 62 meters.. but not sure where I saw that anymore... still.. 41 seems too small especially when you look at the one presented by the Rebels show..

--

I like my version better,

a lot of the stats are based on the GR75:

14539572692_e5b4dfc96e_o.png

Edited by gabe69velasquez

This thread is growing faster than my reading speed!

Vigil yes oh yes, Gozanti spaghetti, yes indeed! Imperial customs corvette, sure why not?

Lancer frigate... No!

Its ugly! it would also be the definition of the word broken if it went even half way towards the fluff. In X-Wing Alliance it could shoot down everything that came remotely close to it and shoot down the torpedoes fired at it too.

Also has anyone else noticed that Han Solo was a drug runner? Rebel scum indeed!

The reason for no lander is that it is too dangerous to star fighters.

IIRC, there are scenes in the Rogue Squadron books where lancers show up and Rogue Squadron either just runs, or looks at each it the and realizes, some of them are going to die taking this thing on.

It would completely wreck anything we throw at it in this game.

The reason for no lander is that it is too dangerous to star fighters.

IIRC, there are scenes in the Rogue Squadron books where lancers show up and Rogue Squadron either just runs, or looks at each it the and realizes, some of them are going to die taking this thing on.

It would completely wreck anything we throw at it in this game.

And then Corran plays catch me if you can with 24 proton torpedoes and then hides behind one it just means you need to bring the right tools (and not have much fighter support since I bet it would be fairly expensive 180-200ish base 4-5 EP

--

Is it supposed to have a turret, or are you making that up?

you all say lancer, but Im leaning a little more to the carrack....

Why not a Star Destroyer while you're at it? I mean if scale doesn't matter...

On a related note, do you really want the TIE Advanced included with an IMP huge ship? Because I imagine that would piss off a lot of people. I keep seeing people saying one should be included in the new Imperial ship but that would effectively cost a much desired fix beyond reason. If you wanted multiples of whatever made the fix possible, you'd need multiple huge ships. Shouldn't fixing the TIE Advanced be saved for a second round of Imperial Aces?

Standard disclaimers apply when sharing anything from Wookieepedia, but according to the entry for the Gozanti Cruiser, it should have:

Armament
  • 2 quad laser cannon batteries[1]
  • 2 quad laser cannon turrets[1]
  • Proton torpedo launcher[1]

[1] reference being "Starships of the Galaxy" (which is also apparently the source of that ridiculous 41.8m measurement, so take with measure of salt as appropriate).

Wookieepedia Link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gozanti_Cruiser

Now, I'm just curious what sort of mechanics would apply to carrying TIE fighters into battle, if anything.  It's something that might look neat, but might have no functional benefit in the scope of an X-Wing game.  (I.e., those TIEs aren't exactly going to be much help while they're saddled underneath the Gozanti, and it's not as if being parked on the outside would confer them any sort of protection.)

Is it just me or is Corran Horn the ultimate Mary Sue in the books. I mean he out flies two TIE Interceptors while in an Imperial Shuttle. That just seems daft to me Ok, back to topic. The anything you can do i can do better mindset of a lot of EU writers/game designers has resulted in some seriously overpowered ships. It is unfortunate that there are so few Imperial ships depicted in the original movies

On a related note, do you really want the TIE Advanced included with an IMP huge ship? Because I imagine that would piss off a lot of people. I keep seeing people saying one should be included in the new Imperial ship but that would effectively cost a much desired fix beyond reason. If you wanted multiples of whatever made the fix possible, you'd need multiple huge ships. Shouldn't fixing the TIE Advanced be saved for a second round of Imperial Aces?

If it was in a huge ship I would expect multiple copies to be present like how 2 Proton Rockets and 2 Refits are in Rebel Aces despite only 1 being an A-wing or 2 Copies of Flechettes Torpedoes in the Transport pack.

Personally Fix or no fix I don't see myself running more than 2 Advanceds in a list  Don't get me wrong I love the ship, I just prefer more variety than just spamming the same ship over and over.

Is it just me or is Corran Horn the ultimate Mary Sue in the books. I mean he out flies two TIE Interceptors while in an Imperial Shuttle. That just seems daft to me Ok, back to topic. The anything you can do i can do better mindset of a lot of EU writers/game designers has resulted in some seriously overpowered ships. It is unfortunate that there are so few Imperial ships depicted in the original movies

That is why a lot of us want the good stuff from the EU in the game. FFG is working on it just fine too IMO.

That is why a lot of us want the good stuff from the EU in the game. FFG is working on it just fine too IMO.

Part of it, mind you, is that each faction has its own philosophy. The Imperials gave advanced ships to special units (see TIE Defenders or the Rogue Shadow) but gave everybody else TIEs. Swarm was the approach. Imperial Might. FFG can only bend the faction's identities so far. They could have and might still go in a direction where the Imperials just get massively more generic pilots of the typical TIE line, keeping the ships but giving Imperial players more options. That's why, after the next wave or 2 I wouldn't even mind if FFG stopped making new ships and just made new pilots/Aces packages. The farther we get from TIES and X-wings, especially from ROTJ, the less it will have that Star Wars flavor. Some EU ships should of course be added but not to the point where they become more common than the OT ships.

DJB2 and R2Servo like this

Yay I got a discussion going!

*Pats self on back*

But yeah, looking at the model, it has a twin laser turret on top and i assume one on bottom, and thats why i gave it a primary turreted weapon value of 3.

It is also supposed to have gun banks (according to wookieepedia) so i gave it a hardpoint.

Left out the proton torpedoes, not sure if wookieepedia is right on it or if it even needs them.

Limited the crew/teams cause that encroaches on the transports stick. One of each is good enough.

Dunno what to give it on Hull/shields, It should probably be less than the transport due to less bulk, and the shields are probably stronger than the transport as well. Just couldn't get a value that "Feels" right, you know? 

Joe Boss Red Seven likes this

Now, I'm just curious what sort of mechanics would apply to carrying TIE fighters into battle, if anything.  It's something that might look neat, but might have no functional benefit in the scope of an X-Wing game.  (I.e., those TIEs aren't exactly going to be much help while they're saddled underneath the Gozanti, and it's not as if being parked on the outside would confer them any sort of protection.)

This question keeps coming up, and I say isn't it a matter a four TIEs being placed on the play area edge, two on either side, at the set up stage of the battle? why does there have to be some special mechanic, like you're going to have them start with overlapping bases?

Gozanti Cruiser ability idea...

If a damaged Tie (Standard Tie model only, mind) ends it's activation phase w/in R1 of the cruiser, remove it from play (Docking).

Next Movement phase, don't assign it a dial, but place it at R1 of the cruiser (any facing), with no damage.

It may perform actions and continue it's turn as normal.

1 Tie may dock a turn

Balancing issues:

Ties are only usually 3HP...

The most this can fix is 3 HP of dmg (assuming a Tie w/ Hull or Shield upgrade was at 1 HP remaining)

It loses a whole rd of firing, the turn it docks.

It *might* not have a target in arc the turn it launches

Lets be honest, you're probably only going to use this on named pilots

Counterpoints:

Is this too strong?

Would you cap how many re-launches it can give? (is only 2 worth it?)

Thoughts? (Things factored - what's the point of having light vessel carrying a few ties under it?- what else could it do?)

Standard disclaimers apply when sharing anything from Wookieepedia, but according to the entry for the Gozanti Cruiser, it should have:

Armament

[1] reference being "Starships of the Galaxy" (which is also apparently the source of that ridiculous 41.8m measurement, so take with measure of salt as appropriate).

Wookieepedia Link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gozanti_Cruiser

And I found this on the talkpage:

Armament Edit

I notice that the article at present lists the Saga Edition weapons from Starships of the Galaxy. The way that Saga Edition treats weapons, especially batteries, isn't very specific to the number of guns the ship actually mounts. I see that the Krayt's Honor entry on the archive of the sw.com databank lists an armament of the following: "Eight laser turrets, two quad turrets, three turbolaser cannons and two proton torpedo launchers". The information in SOTG's Saga Edition then says that the "Krayt's Honor was significantly upgunned with the addition of three turbolasers and a second proton torpedo launcher." Since it seems to say that the change in weapons was the addition of the turbolasers and a proton torpedo launcher, would we be able to say the standard armament is eight laser cannon turrets, two quads, and a proton torpedo launcher so we can get actual number of guns as opposed to the nebulous "battery" from Saga Edition? I'm reticent to just add it because it seems like it's making an inference based on data as opposed to something more concrete. - Slagass (talk) 04:01, September 2, 2012 (UTC)

Saga says a battery is 5 guns. So 2 batteries of 5 quads, In order to fit the turbos they dropped one gun from each battery, gave them more effective turret mounts and downgraded from quads to singles. (I figure the two "Batteries" come out the sides of the "wings", and the 8 turrets come out either the op of bottom of the "Wings" giving them better firing arcs. SargeLIVES (talk) 22:48, April 26, 2014 (UTC)

So I'm very tempted to update my card.

Way too fast. Likely too strong.

One turn in this game is a handful of seconds. No way they can repair a TIE fighter of even one damage that fast.

I would tend to agree with you. But if it had more restrictions, like only repairing one point, maybe critical hits that require an action, but when docked they don't require it. Yet on the plus side they might get to keep their defense roll for being under cover.

14774549592_4fbc2d5ac0_o.png

So I was curious about the size comparison between these two now, 

and thinking other people would appreciate the image.

I also found these miniatures that are very well done.

gozc_img_6511.jpg

gozc_img_6542.jpg

gozc_img_6548.jpg

gozc_img_6521.jpg

gozc_img_6532.jpg

Edited by gabe69velasquez
oneway likes this

One turn in this game is a handful of seconds. No way they can repair a TIE fighter of even one damage that fast.

I would tend to agree with you. But if it had more restrictions, like only repairing one point, maybe critical hits that require an action, but when docked they don't require it. Yet on the plus side they might get to keep their defense roll for being under cover.

If instantly repairing TIEs is too much of a stretch, how about looking at the various abilities afforded by the Astromech cards?  I confess I'm still new to this, so I haven't familiarized myself with ALL the cards and their utility, but I recall that there are several Astromech cards with variations on the idea of "do a bit of repair on a ship" -- either by flipping over a critical hit card (so it just counts as regular damage) at the end of a round, or removing a regular damage card, or even recovering a shield point.  (Limiting factors -- and I forget which one goes with which -- include such things as "immediately after making a Green maneuver," or "at the end of the End Phase," or "roll a Defense die, and on any Evade or Focus result...")

At present, I don't recall any Imperial ships that allow for an Astromech on board to perform repairs, so having some sort of support ship might come in handy in that regard (and be thematic in the sense that TIEs are made to be reliant upon support, vs. the relatively self-sufficient Rebels with their on-board hyperdrives and all-purpose astromechs).  Having to go back to a support ship to get repairs would be a MAJOR limiting factor (how many moves is it going to take to turn around, get back to ship, launch, get back into battle?), but I suppose only play-testing would properly reveal just how much.

Hmmm, ok.

Well, don't think of it as repairing... Just the pilot switching to a spare fighter.

As a counter, the rebels have 2x droids who repair shields, a droid who repairs Hull, and a droid who un does ship crits.

If the cruiser carries only 2x spare ties... is that so bad?