Sign in to follow this  
Takeda

Rex load out

Anyone else feel that you have to give Rex Outmaneuver and HLC to justify his cost and ability? I mean beyond that a basic defender is great enough for back and forth action all game. Thoughts?

Anyone else feel that you have to give Rex Outmaneuver and HLC to justify his cost and ability? I mean beyond that a basic defender is great enough for back and forth action all game. Thoughts?

No way.  Rexler Brath is a ship that increases the potency of your damage when you fire accurately.  To work towards this your build needs to focus on making him more accurate to increase the chances that you can use his ability.  To achieve this try running him with Predator at 40 points even.  Rexler Brath with Outmaneuver and HLC is simply too many points tied up in one ship for Imperials and his build does nothing to work towards getting his special ability to go off.  Sure the damage potential is there but you will find that you will rarely have the focus token after shooting as you will need to use it to make your shots more accurate; predator helps offset this issue.

Predator is a maybe where as outmaneuver is basically having an additional attack if your outside their arc.

It is actually not quite that potent as it reduces agility instead of increasing attack dice; attack dice are stronger than evade dice.

I feel that Predator is the way to go with Rexler Brath because he is all about saving his focus until after his attack is concluded and that means he needs a way to be accurate without using his focus.  Push the Limit is a solution as well so that he can Target Lock and Focus but it forces a stress on the Defender's awkward dial who can only clear stress by moving straight.  Predator is weaker than Target Lock but not forcing a stress on the Defender is a huge deal.  Predator also applies on every single attack while outmaneuver only works if you get yourself out of the enemy's firing arcs; possible sure with the white K-turn but far less reliable than Predator.

Predator is a maybe where as outmaneuver is basically having an additional attack if your outside their arc.

It is actually not quite that potent as it reduces agility instead of increasing attack dice; attack dice are stronger than evade dice.

I feel that Predator is the way to go with Rexler Brath because he is all about saving his focus until after his attack is concluded and that means he needs a way to be accurate without using his focus.  Push the Limit is a solution as well so that he can Target Lock and Focus but it forces a stress on the Defender's awkward dial who can only clear stress by moving straight.  Predator is weaker than Target Lock but not forcing a stress on the Defender is a huge deal.  Predator also applies on every single attack while outmaneuver only works if you get yourself out of the enemy's firing arcs; possible sure with the white K-turn but far less reliable than Predator.

Attack dice and defense dice are equil. Too many people worry about the **** clock running out. If you play defensively an evade is just as powerfull. There are plenty of times I have sacs fixed an extra hit to save my focus for defensive purposes.

Attack dice and defense dice are equil. Too many people worry about the **** clock running out. If you play defensively an evade is just as powerfull. There are plenty of times I have sacs fixed an extra hit to save my focus for defensive purposes.

They aren't equal though; attack dice succeed 4/8 times (6/8 with focus) while evade succeed 3/8 times (5/8 with focus).  Technically speaking +1 attack die is more valuable than +1 evade die though personal experience can of course make things appear differently.  Adding an attack die or reducing the opponent's evade die are both great advantages but they really do nothing to take advantage of Rexler Brath's ability.  On a Defender the Outmaneuver upgrade would fit better on Vessery in a list with target locks to use his ability; this results in Vessery being exceptionally accurate (especially with a focus too) and the target having less opportunity to evade.  It still requires that Vessery be out of firing arcs though which can be a tall order.

Edited by SonicPara

Its not the clock it is that attack dice have a higher chance to hit than defense dice have a chance to evade, (personally i think the dice skew more in favor of the attacker than the 1/8th chance but 1/8th is the "expected" difference)

Predator is better than PTL because it always works, stressed, driving over a asteroid and bumping a ship and you still get the reroll vs having to do the TL with PTL

Vessery would be a better candidate for Outmaneuver because his ability is like predator already and double dipping would be wasteful, but we are talking about Rexlar here anyways.