FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat

7,435 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

final line is inconsistent with the xg-1 loadout and seemingly random as there are no missile/torps you could fire out of arc without nera

you're probably looking at "you may perform attacks with [torp] and [missile] secondary weapons even while you have a weapons disabled token"

The visible part of the card pretty clearly says "Against" which you are dropping entirely.

4 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Missile warning!  Press SPACE key to target

I remember that being all I heard during the end of Rebel Rendezvous - Aid To The Alliance mission in X-Wing: Alliance (still one of my favourite missions of all time).

The Rebel platform, the ISDII's arrival and warning, the scramble to evacuate and the destruction of the Vasudra, that's when the game changed from a family operation to all-out war.  And then as you're trying to escape - four Gunboats chasing you down, and the repeated warning (and if you're unlucky, impact) of concussion missiles as you flee for the hyperspace buoy...

Good times.

Ugh, I hate that mission.  I've tried hanging back and shooting torpedoes as they come in.  I've tried flying right up to the Star Destroyer and destroying the Bombers almost as fast as they deploy.  I've tried linking turrets to forward firing so I could dump laser energy to engines.  I've tried having my turrets fire at one Bomber while I fire at another.  One time, I even managed to save the Vasudra, which was still flying around after all other craft were destroyed (apparently it's not programed to ever even try going to hyperspace)!  Yet still, after twenty-thirty attempts, I make it to about 20-40% of the Rebel craft evacuated with all the rest destroyed.  <sigh>  Eventually, I just edited the game's mission file to skip that mission entirely.

On the other hand, seeing the Vasudra get destroyed dozens of times is probably a pretty accurate simulation of how much you'd be reliving the experience if you actually saw family members killed like that, so props for that, I guess.

51 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

For the record, every time I play that mission, Ace Azzameen definitely has PS1! :P

Also, does Emon ever drop bombs in the game? I feel like he just nukes everything with missiles. I always thought his design in this game was a little off.

Is it possible to have a negative PS?  I'm pretty sure I do every time I fly as Ace...

Kieransi likes this

2 hours ago, Kieransi said:

For the record, every time I play that mission, Ace Azzameen definitely has PS1! :P

Also, does Emon ever drop bombs in the game? I feel like he just nukes everything with missiles. I always thought his design in this game was a little off.

Bombs in X-Wing: Alliance are more like heavy dumb fire rockets. Fired forward without guidance system.

Kieransi likes this

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

final line is inconsistent with the xg-1 loadout and seemingly random as there are no missile/torps you could fire out of arc without nera

I agree. So what if it’s 

OS-1 [Ordnance]

Lo[adout]

Alpha-Cla[ss Star Wing only. Title.]

Your [upgrade bar gains]

the torpedo [and missile icons.]

you may [perform]

torpedo and [missile attacks]

against [ships at range 4]

even when [you have a]

[weapons disabled token.]

I can dream! 

With how the OS-1 and XG-1 load outs are configured I think we're going to hear a lot of "Empire is to OP" and "They Pone in Championships" and all they'll hear back is "Missile warning!  Press SPACE key to target"

Odanan, Giledhil and Ktan like this

2 hours ago, RogueLeader42 said:

Bombs in X-Wing: Alliance are more like heavy dumb fire rockets. Fired forward without guidance system.

Maybe this is just me, but I felt like Emon's special rules were a reference to the fact that the Azzameens left some booby-trapped supplies at their home base when the Imperials raided them.

Played the level again recently. It doesn't establish WHO booby-traps the supplies (and going by the way the mission pans out I'd have to assume they may have been rigged BEFORE the Azzameens left to retrieve their belongings). However, it certainly seems like a very "Emon" thing to do.

boop, boop...  boop, boop...  boop, boop...  WOOT! WOOT!

"Missile Warning!  Key to target?"

Sorry, I can't help myself. I just pre-ordered four Gunboats at my local FLGS. I'm going to try and bring gunboats to the world championship.

Lobokai, GrimmyV and Odanan like this

28 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

Only 4?  

I'll get more if I can fit it in 100 points. I'm also planning a Countess Ryad plus gunboat list. Green K-turns, ion cannons with TIE/D,  plus all the missiles from the Gunboats.

Edited by Eskandare