FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

The number of pages in this thread is equal to the number r of times a day the designers have a good chuckle about never making the Gunboat but never officially saying it's off the table to keep people hoping. 

Chris was a silver tongued politician at last years GenCon when some punk millennial asked about prequel ships... they ain't gonna make that crap... period.

I like several of the Prequel ships myself, so I hunted them up via Micro Machines and F-Toys.

;)

The number of pages in this thread is equal to the number r of times a day the designers have a good chuckle about never making the Gunboat but never officially saying it's off the table to keep people hoping. 

"Never say never!"

giphy.gif

I think that quote from Alex Davy was the closest thing to "Never!" he can say without actually saying just "Never!".  :(

I was thinking the other day that we don't know what's coming in the next wave of ships...and holding out hope that maybe...just maybe...the beloved Gunboat will be on the list. Beyond the Falcon/Poe box...there is still hope...

I saw someone asking about the WHY of Gunboat love...because it was so cool in the game, a treat to fly and could blast enemies from the sky all day and looks really cool in that way Bulldogs, A-10s, and me all have an ugly, but adorable, charm lol. :)

That guarantees that two of the next wave will be IMP%252520FO%252520%252520SHUT.png and IMP%2BTIE%2BFO%2BSF%2BFIGHTER.PNG as for the other two slot, assuming they make four ships... well it could be almost anything but I bet we get anything but the gunboats.

;)

Hopefully... Maybe Gunboat is in Wave IX, and HOTFO is the spring 2017 box, or maybe the other fall 2016 box...

At some point, but I still feel tremors in The Force telling me that FFG is working on dat Rouge One tie-in Rebel Veterans set and so forth.

Rouge One?  Is someone letting Lucas do a prequel *shudder* Darth Maul spinoff?

Edited by HolySorcerer

I was thinking the other day that we don't know what's coming in the next wave of ships...and holding out hope that maybe...just maybe...the beloved Gunboat will be on the list. Beyond the Falcon/Poe box...there is still hope...

I saw someone asking about the WHY of Gunboat love...because it was so cool in the game, a treat to fly and could blast enemies from the sky all day and looks really cool in that way Bulldogs, A-10s, and me all have an ugly, but adorable, charm lol. :)

That guarantees that two of the next wave will be IMP%252520FO%252520%252520SHUT.png and IMP%2BTIE%2BFO%2BSF%2BFIGHTER.PNG as for the other two slot, assuming they make four ships... well it could be almost anything but I bet we get anything but the gunboats.

;)

Hopefully... Maybe Gunboat is in Wave IX, and HOTFO is the spring 2017 box, or maybe the other fall 2016 box...

At some point, but I still feel tremors in The Force telling me that FFG is working on dat Rouge One tie-in Rebel Veterans set and so forth.

Rouge One?  Is someone letting Lucas do a prequel *shudder* Darth Maul spinoff?

New Star Wars Movie... it is all kinds of TOT, and will be how FFG adds more love to T-65's...

:lol:

CYeaLqgWAAAkZNA.jpg

Edited by Joe Boss Red Seven

To be perfectly fair though, that quote was about prequel ships, not the Gunboat

Well, he said that in the Scum & Villainy Podcast when they were talking about how much he feels about the Empire not needing another 2 attack, 3 agility, "3-ish" hull TIE fighter. Around the 30 minutes mark:

Alex: "Star Wars is having a renaissance. And, you know, every time something new comes out there is probably going to be an opportunity-"

Interviewer: "Or something old like the Assault Gunboat?"

Alex: (laughs)

Interviewer: "Maybe? Huh? Huh?"

Alex: "Never say never!"

Interviewer: "Look,man: I love TIE Fighter. I mean, you loved us enough to make us a faction. Just love us enough to give me the Assault Gunboat".

Alex: (laughs) "Yeah, we tried to do that with the Punisher aswell. And maybe the Punisher will have a renaissance now that ordnance is not, you know, basically useless..."

Then he keeps on talking about the TIE Bombers.

I think someone (if not Alex or Frank themselves, someone else higher up) is vetoing all Imperial ships that aren't TIEs, or TIE-alikes, forcing them to use really obscure options. In the same podcast, Alex comments on the TIE Punisher being "the tier 3 upgrade to the TIE Bomber in a really obscure random RTS". That comment itself tells me that he wasn't really thrilled with it himself. So it's not them choosing which ships to make next. That seems to be a decision that comes from somewhere else.

As some have said before, Chris Petersen has a strong control over X-Wing and Armada, and it's been said that they got the Star Detroyer in Armada just because he wanted them to, and they had to modify the "size" of that game to make room for that ship.

I suspect (I might be wrong) the same is happening here, and they are being forced to add this and that ship in this and that wave. If the direction considers that they need to sell more Force Awakes ships, then the designers will have no choice but create more redundant boring "Heroes of the Resistance"-like expansions.

And if the same direction considers no non-TIE fighter for the Empire, then we will never see the Gunboat in this game.

You are going to see a push for the new stuff that's just the way this sort of marketing works. Rebels, the new movies and games are going to get the spotlight. But I do think FFG will slip in some old favorites in side like they have done with the hawk, outrider and others.

FYI don't know if u know if u google Star Wars XG-1 assault gunboat this thread is the first thing that pops up other than the wiki on the assault and missle boat..... No one has ever talked about the gunboat as much as we have haha

Oh, I don't know about that - the Hard Light 3D modelling forums have a LOT of topics devoted to it.  Our discussion is more recent, though.

And if the same direction considers no non-TIE fighter for the Empire, then we will never see the Gunboat in this game...

Faith Azrapse  You must have faith!  We cannot give up the fight now... we must keep on fighting to the bitter end, Azrapse...

Faith Azrapse  You must have faith!  We cannot give up the fight now... we must keep on fighting to the bitter end, Azrapse...

I don't know if it is the end yet, but for me it certainly starts to taste kind of bitter that FFG decide to rather release obscure, unpopular, and silly-looking ships as long as they are TIEs.

And I am dam sick of the boring, repetitive TFA ships already (even when I didn't particularly dislike the movie), with its "30 years ago Lucas rejected these designs" X-Wings and palette swap TIE Fighters.

Edited by Azrapse

I don't know if it is the end yet, but for me it certainly starts to taste kind of bitter that FFG decide to rather release obscure, unpopular, and silly-looking ships as long as they are TIEs.

And I am dam sick of the boring, repetitive TFA ships already (even when I didn't particularly dislike the movie), with its "30 years ago Lucas rejected these designs" X-Wings and palette swap TIE Fighters.

Boohoo

I don't know if it is the end yet, but for me it certainly starts to taste kind of bitter that FFG decide to rather release obscure, unpopular, and silly-looking ships as long as they are TIEs...

To be fair, that's only really happened once (with the Punterdictor).  And as long as the Force Awakens releases continue to be announced and released seperately from the rest of X-Wing's waves, there's no real reason to worry about them too much.

It'll be interesting to see what's revealed in Wave 9, though.

Alex mentioned in that same podcast that Wave 9 contained a hard counter for the 3 jumpmasters.

As someone else has mentioned, it could be something as simple as the mag pulse warheads from "TIE Fighter" that are even mentioned by Poe Dameron in TFA, when they steal the TIE/SF. 

They included the standalone T-70 and TIE/FO in wave 8, right? So I wonder if the TIE/SF comes with those and is included in wave 9.

I would very much prefer anything else than another TIE, of course. But I wouldn't really mind much if they released that leaked concept for a new TIE that JJ discarded, and actually looked awesome.

PD: If they release the TIE Pacman, I might aswell cry...

mining-guild-tie-fighter_33cd0df7.jpeg

Edited by Azrapse

They included the standalone T-70 and TIE/FO in wave 8, right?

Actually, they were announced seperately from Wave 8.  A later preview article said they were being "added" to Wave 8 - alongside the four(five) ships that had already announced - but they were released three months earlier than the rest of the Wave, in a different calendar year no less.

I woke up this morning and decided that I want the XG-1 now.

I woke up THIS morning and decided to work-up some ship stats.

(I just looked at pics from Google image search)

XG-1 Assault Gunboat

Attack3 Agility3 Hull3 Shield4

Actions: Focus, Target Lock

Upgrades: Missile x3, Cannon