FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

All I know is that Terrorists and Criminals both have SLAM when the Empire, which invented the darn thing, is still left hanging.

Whatever next, a Republic Death Star?

WE WERE DECEIVED!!! - Darth Malgus

Was thinking a good ace ablility for a missile boat (prob the PS 7-8 one) should be something to help with TL.

"Once per turn, you do not discard your TL when instructed to"  Make this work when firing ord, and expert handling/Black Leader.

Every new announcement I eagerly click on hoping that there will be a gunboat. Come on FFG!!! I bet it will outsell the HotR set by a wide margin.

Well, I mean, I'd probably buy four StarWings immediately. And I know I'm not alone in that.

But you miiight be underestimating the popularity of TFA and demand for this tie-in pack that costs ~2x the price of a single Small expansion.

Not a bad thing at all! I just know that newbie pilots that want awesome TFA models will probably outperform hardcore Imp players by a wide margin.

Every new announcement I eagerly click on hoping that there will be a gunboat. Come on FFG!!! I bet it will outsell the HotR set by a wide margin.

Bold claim.  I think it's fair to say there's far more Falcon fans out there than there are Gunboat fans.  Poe fans too.

Of course, you only really need one Falcon, and one Poe (with two pilot cards).  Like Tsiegtiez, I can see myself picking up at least four Gunboats...

Honestly it would be the SINGLE game expansion I'd buy twice.

Two reasons.

1. I like it from the games and I think it would work nicely as a pair.

2. Because it is not a TIE. TIEs are great, but it would be such a nice change from the main design line.

Edited by Endobai

Surely 111 pages is an indication of how much the Gunboat's popular among players. Which means one thing for FFG if they make it:

CA$$$$$$$SHING!

I'd buy enough Gunboats and Missile Boats to fill an epic list.

Enough to fill both sides of team epic. Obviously.

3 reasons the gunboat will NEVER be in the game:

1. Its non canon.

So far (since wave 8) FFG has stayed away from old EU stuff. 

2. What role will it play?

Its basically a TIE punisher that looks like a lambda .

3. It's obscure.

Aside from ten crazy gunboat zealots on the FFG forums no one seems to have heard of this ship (except from said gunboat freaks)

Sorry guys but its the truth.

All I know is that Terrorists and Criminals both have SLAM when the Empire, which invented the darn thing, is still left hanging.

Whatever next, a Republic Death Star?

WE WERE DECEIVED!!! - Darth Malgus

Funny you should mention that!

I'll address these. See replies in bold.

1. Its non canon.

So far (since wave 8) FFG has stayed away from old EU stuff. HWK290s, Decimators, Phantoms, K-wings the TIE Punisher, IG2000 and the JM5K all would like a word in disagreement.

Its basically a TIE punisher that looks like a lambda . Roles can be made up, there is plenty of design space and 111 pages of discussion on it.

3. It's obscure.

Aside from ten crazy gunboat zealots on the FFG forums no one seems to have heard of this ship (except from said gunboat freaks) That TIE Punisher would like another word. At any rate being a part of all 4 of arguably the MOST succesful Star Wars series, which this miniature game is named after probably makes it not so obsure.

Sorry guys but its the truth. Is it? Fairly sure I just disproved the hell out of it.

1. Its non canon.

So far (since wave 8) FFG has stayed away from old EU stuff. 

Its basically a TIE punisher that looks like a lambda .

3. It's obscure.

Aside from ten crazy gunboat zealots on the FFG forums no one seems to have heard of this ship (except from said gunboat freaks)

Sorry guys but its the truth.

What?

1.  Since wave 8?  They haven't released anything since wave 8.  We are still on wave 8 right now.  X-wing is full of non-cannon ships, I fail to see them stop including them anytime soon.

2.  The Gunboat is nothing like a Punisher.  It is far closer to a B-Wing than anything else.  Yes, it looks like a Lambda, the same company builds both.

3.  You call a ship with 111 pages of people demanding the thing obscure?  What the hell would you consider mainstream?

Edited by HolySorcerer