FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

I think we really shoulda gotten the gunboat over the Punisher.

I think we shoulda got both, but yeah, even as a TIE Superfan, I think the Gunboat should have come first.

a) No. We will see the stupid TIE/SF. Yet another TIE Fighter copy with slightly different stats.

To be fair, it's probably going to have REALLY different stats.  It's just it's appearance that's only going to be slightly different.

c) No. Someone somewhere has decided that they want to discard all other ship designs for the Empire, and everything imperial must either have another stupid TIE cockpit, another stupid pair of TIE-like panels, or both things at the same time. Look at the decimator, look at the raider, look at the Rogue Shadow. It's Star Wars for attention deficient people. "If it doesn't look Imperial, it could confound our stupid customers".

I still think this makes sense both from a design aesthetic, and with the lore.  Having a military have all of it's ships of a specific role designed and built by a single manufacturer makes sense.  And having all ships made by a single manufacturer have a similar design aesthetic does as well.

The Empire's starfighters all look like TIEs because they're all made by Sienar.  Their capital ships all look like Star Destroyers because they're all made by Kuat, etc.

Edited by DarthEnderX

I still think this makes sense both from a design aesthetic, and with the lore.  Having a military have all of it's ships of a specific role designed and built by a single manufacturer makes sense.  And having all ships made by a single manufacturer have a similar design aesthetic does as well.

The Empire's starfighters all look like TIEs because they're all made by Sienar.  Their capital ships all look like Star Destroyers because they're all made by Kuat, etc.

The lambda shuttle wouldn't have been created today. Today the Emperor or Vader would have come to the Executor on a decimator with TIE panels and even more evident TIE viewport.

Today the star destroyers would have TIE panels like the raider.

Even the Death Star would be a giant TIE cockpit with TIE Panels to the sides.

The AT-ATs? Nah, TIE Tanks.

It's a time of rehashes and remakes. Of retreading the same paths, and of zero creative risks. Reducing all complexity to the minimum expression, also in the creativity.

The new Empire is not at all like the old one. (Am I talking about new lore versus old lore? Or about Disney versus Lucasfilm?)

Before?

The Republic used all kind of different designs and manufacturers. I don't think the Empire had a reason to restrict itself to Sienar. Koensayr, Incom, Cygnus, and yes also Kuat and Sienar.

In the old lore, the Empire used Nebulon-B frigates and corellian corvettes, DX stormtrooper transports. Even the X-Wing, for 30 years has had a backstory of being a design for the Empire, but that ultimately the Rebels got by defection of its designers.

I guess Rebels and Rogue One will put an end to that.

I am still amazed that they keep (over)using the Gozanti nowadays. Clearly a non-wedge Kuat ship, clearly a non-TIE-like Sienar ship either, but supposedly a corellian ship (like the corvettes in the old lore).

Edited by Azrapse

If the next small base Imperial ship is anything other than a design from TFA/rogue one or GUNBOAT/Avenger/MIS, then we know FFG is trolling us. ******* TIE Hunter, raptor, whatever, I would start punching people until I get the right person, then keep punching.

Anyway, If Sienar can make Shuttles, Cygnus can make Starfighters. Sienar makes Interdictor Capital ships, in nu canon no less.

Honestly. I'm on TV. 

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/ctv-morning-live

(Mask of leia, may have to scroll back a page).

That's my excitement for the day. If we get the gunboat, that's just icing.

In all seriousness though guys, do a star brother a favour and view the film. More views the better and it's more of a chance for us to win the competition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZJY0bJ02xU

Edited by DariusAPB

The lambda shuttle wouldn't have been created today. Today the Emperor or Vader would have come to the Executor on a decimator with TIE panels and even more evident TIE viewport.

To be fair, the TIE Shuttle was introduced in the movies before the Lambda was.

I don't think the Empire had a reason to restrict itself to Sienar. Koensayr, Incom, Cygnus, and yes also Kuat and Sienar.

There are lots of reason to restrict yourself to one manufacturer.  There's the obvious "everything in our army is built by the same people, so everything from interfaces to replacement parts will have a shared compatibility."  And then there's the whole "We're an evil bureaucracy, it's much less work for us to keep our thumb on one corporation for this purpose than a whole bunch of them".

In the old lore, the Empire used Nebulon-B frigates and corellian corvettes, DX stormtrooper transports.

Sure, but those are all holdovers from the Republic days.  Once they started building all of their own stuff, they became much more uniform.

There's a reason why the Rebels use those ships, it's because the Empire in in the process of actively phasing them OUT of Imperial service.

Edited by DarthEnderX

In the old lore, the Empire used Nebulon-B frigates and corellian corvettes, DX stormtrooper transports.

Sure, but those are all holdovers from the Republic days.  Once they started building all of their own stuff, they became much more uniform.

There's a reason why the Rebels use those ships, it's because the Empire in in the process of actively phasing them OUT of Imperial service.

Plus: much easier to steal. 

What's the skeleton crew on an ISD again? Something like 1200 people? There's thousands and thousands of crew and stationed officers, infantry etc etc

What's the skeleton crew on an ISD again? Something like 1200 people? There's thousands and thousands of crew and stationed officers, infantry etc etc

I'd be surprised if that was still the case in new-canon.

I mean, the crew of Rebels stole a carrier with, like, 5 people.  I know an ISD is a lot bigger, but it's not 60 times bigger.

The hard part isn't getting a skeleton crew on a Star Destroyer to take it.  It's getting the standard compliment of Imperial crew OFF of it.

Edited by DarthEnderX

To be fair, the TIE Shuttle was introduced in the movies before the Lambda was.

I don't think the Empire had a reason to restrict itself to Sienar. Koensayr, Incom, Cygnus, and yes also Kuat and Sienar.

There are lots of reason to restrict yourself to one manufacturer.  There's the obvious "everything in our army is built by the same people, so everything from interfaces to replacement parts will have a shared compatibility."  And then there's the whole "We're an evil bureaucracy, it's much less work for us to keep our thumb on one corporation for this purpose than a whole bunch of them".

The one manufacturer idea is very evident in the TIE line. Everything seems modular and made for ease of maintainance. Once trained on any TIE you can pretty much fly them all. Great for logistics and training, and ease of upgrading aging craft.

After experiencing many, MANY triple jumpmasters at the Regional event last weekend, I don't think the game is ready for this. The last thing we need is yet more triple, point and declare four hits lists.

Admittedly this won't be as bad, as it won't have a 360 arc and barrel roll but still. If they do release this, I reckon it will be large base, 2 x missile slots, 1 x torp slot and a tech upgrade slot.

Then the top 16 will be 3 x Starwings, 3 x Jumpmasters, a Palp/Aces list and some random Rebel list that makes no sense to anyone but managed to dodge all the star wings and jumpmasters until the cut.

... it, it is to much like the Lambda...

And the TIE/fo is just like the TIE/ln.  The Z-95 is aesthetically similar to a T-65, and the T-70 is only marginally different from the T-65.  Then there's the Bomber and the Punterdictor.  I'm pretty sure at this point that bearing a passing similarity to another already released ship has no bearing on whether something will be released or not.

It's probably worth noting as well that all of those ships listed above are much more similar to each other than the (small based, missile carrying starfighter) Gunboat is to the Lambda Shuttle (large based, crew carrying transport).

But a seasoned Star Wars vet like you surely already knows that, right Joe?  :P

FFG is not going to make it gang, no matter how long this topic is.

Pretty sure people were telling you the same thing on the Imperial Epic ship thread, Joe.  Then, out of nowhere, a wild Raider appeared.

People said the same thing about Scum & Villainy as well.  "Pirates?  Pfft.  Bounty Hunters?  Pfft.  We don't need their kind of Scum!" was the usual comment.  Then, out of nowhere, Most Wanted.  And Wave 6.

I think with FFG at this point the only thing we can rule out is ruling anything out.

I knew SCUM was coming... but yeah they are NEVER GOING TO MAKE PREQUEL SHIPS.

:lol:

This little cousin to the Lambda and Imp Lander... MAYBE.

:D

Until then we have my four Boss Emotes that I made for you and us to play with here, and regular pictures to look at, and there is that alternate option of getting the actual model.

:)

After experiencing many, MANY triple jumpmasters at the Regional event last weekend, I don't think the game is ready for this. The last thing we need is yet more triple, point and declare four hits lists.

Admittedly this won't be as bad, as it won't have a 360 arc and barrel roll but still. If they do release this, I reckon it will be large base, 2 x missile slots, 1 x torp slot and a tech upgrade slot.

Then the top 16 will be 3 x Starwings, 3 x Jumpmasters, a Palp/Aces list and some random Rebel list that makes no sense to anyone but managed to dodge all the star wings and jumpmasters until the cut.

...wait what?

Definitely not a Large ship, the StarWing is shorter than an X-Wing. Tech seems a little out of place, since it's almost as old as the X-Wing as well.

And where are we getting to "point and declare four hits"?

I'm confused by your post and inferences, sorry.

I mean, the crew of Rebels stole a carrier with, like, 5 people.  I know an ISD is a lot bigger, but it's not 60 times bigger.

The hard part isn't getting a skeleton crew on a Star Destroyer to take it.  It's getting the standard compliment of Imperial crew OFF of it.

That carrier held like 4 ties... it has a crew of 250 max and on a light patrol duty had very few crew, an ISD has 275 gunners alone.  An ISD has roughly 190x the crew of that quasar carrier.

That carrier held like 4 ties... it has a crew of 250 max and on a light patrol duty had very few crew, an ISD has 275 gunners alone.  An ISD has roughly 190x the crew of that quasar carrier.

Oh man the Quasar Fire-class carriers were one of my favourite EU designs, despite coming from Truce at Bakura. It seemed so dang Star Warsy to just have a giant carrier acting as a mobile base of operations, without going to a full capital ship like an ISD or Home One.

It seemed perfectly reasonable to forego heavy capital armament when you were able to scramble snubfighters faster than anything else, Gozanti notwithstanding.

Flurry_egvv.jpg