FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

Not an active poster in this topic, so I would like an honest answer from the crew here. How likely do you think it is that

a) we will see the Gunboat is Wave 9?

b) we will see the Gunboat within the next 3 waves?

c) we will ever see the Gunboat?

I'm sure this has been touched on before, seeing as this is a 100+ page topic, but I am starting to wonder if FFG has any plans on releasing this ship soon, if at all. I believe in one of the podcasts interviews with Alex Davy, he gave a very ho-hum "Never say never" answer when asked about the Gunboat, almost like he was saying "Not planning on it, but hey, maybe if the game is alive 10 years down the road."

I love the idea of the Gunboat. Anything to get the Imps away from 8 more Tie variants is good news to me.

Not an active poster in this topic, so I would like an honest answer from the crew here. How likely do you think it is that

I'm sure this has been touched on before, seeing as this is a 100+ page topic, but I am starting to wonder if FFG has any plans on releasing this ship soon, if at all. I believe in one of the podcasts interviews with Alex Davy, he gave a very ho-hum "Never say never" answer when asked about the Gunboat, almost like he was saying "Not planning on it, but hey, maybe if the game is alive 10 years down the road."

I love the idea of the Gunboat. Anything to get the Imps away from 8 more Tie variants is good news to me.

I don't think it's possible or wise to ignore the avid fan base when they ask for a ship more than any other from the universe.

Aw. It's hard to work in or make "unique"? Too bad.

How about the Tie Bomber, Punisher and most Punishieriest ? Lol

I don't think it's possible or wise to ignore the avid fan base when they ask for a ship more than any other from the universe.

Aw. It's hard to work in or make "unique"? Too bad.

How about the Tie Bomber, Punisher and most Punishieriest ? Lol

Unfortunately, there have been a number of scenarios that have proven that FFG at times can be totally oblivious to the fan base. The release of the Tie Punisher, as much as I enjoy the ship in the game, was a bit baffling upon its initial release for example.

a) I'd say it's fairly unluckly, extremely improbable, that the Gunboat will be in Wave 9.  More likely they'll be focusing on things from Rogue One and Force Awakens for the Rebels and Empire. 

b) I do think that it's entirely possible for it to show up in the next three waves. FFG is at least somewhat aware of the fanbase. They've fixed several ships in ways that were often suggested by fans, and have acknowledged the Gunboat in a recent interview. I doubt they'll continue overlooking it forever, especially when it has such die-hard fans.

c) Absolutely. It will happen.

Gunboat in next wave: about the same as me rolling an evade on a random green die, about 0.001 percent

Gunboat in next three waves: about 5 percent chance.

Gunboat sometime in the future: about 50 percent. Assuming X-wing is still an active game putting out expansions in ten years.

We should start a campaign to demand the mouse to make the gunboat canon. Not like they'll listen to their fan base... ever. Just the move to push the Thrawn trilogy out of canon enraged the community.

I think we really shoulda gotten the gunboat over the Punisher.  

The shuttle/Lambda design is basically the only other design scheme in the entire OT for Empire.  Cmon.  

... and sadly this is why we ain't gonna get it, it is to much like the Lambda.

:mellow:

Chris prolly don't like it either... FFG is not going to make it gang, no matter how long this topic is.

;)

The shuttle/Lambda design is basically the only other design scheme in the entire OT for Empire.  Cmon.  

Chris prolly don't like it either... FFG is not going to make it gang, no matter how long this topic is.

;)

Really? No crew, ability to K-turn, and ordnance make it wildly different from the Lambda in my book.

;)

Really? No crew, ability to K-turn, and ordnance make it wildly different from the Lambda in my book.

Yeah but it is still just a Lambda... kinda.

:lol:

;)

Dont forget it carries missiles and a cannon. Yes, the Lambda carries a cannon slot, but this has missiles. Oh and also this is a small ship, not a large vessel like the Lambda. Would also be much more maneverale than an Lambda.

a) No. We will see the stupid TIE/SF. Yet another TIE Fighter copy with slightly different stats.

b) No. They will be full with the stupid designs of the Episode VII or VIII (TIE/SF, that box that carries soldiers, that black shuttle thing with stupid long wings, some other TIE Advanced variation from Rebels or Rogue One...)

c) No. Someone somewhere has decided that they want to discard all other ship designs for the Empire, and everything imperial must either have another stupid TIE cockpit, another stupid pair of TIE-like panels, or both things at the same time. Look at the decimator, look at the raider, look at the Rogue Shadow. It's Star Wars for attention deficient people. "If it doesn't look Imperial, it could confound our stupid customers".

If we ever see again a non-Sienar ship, it will get either TIE cockpit in front, or TIE panels glued to the sides. 

... it, it is to much like the Lambda...

And the TIE/fo is just like the TIE/ln.  The Z-95 is aesthetically similar to a T-65, and the T-70 is only marginally different from the T-65.  Then there's the Bomber and the Punterdictor.  I'm pretty sure at this point that bearing a passing similarity to another already released ship has no bearing on whether something will be released or not.

It's probably worth noting as well that all of those ships listed above are much more similar to each other than the (small based, missile carrying starfighter) Gunboat is to the Lambda Shuttle (large based, crew carrying transport).

But a seasoned Star Wars vet like you surely already knows that, right Joe?  :P

FFG is not going to make it gang, no matter how long this topic is.

Pretty sure people were telling you the same thing on the Imperial Epic ship thread, Joe.  Then, out of nowhere, a wild Raider appeared.

People said the same thing about Scum & Villainy as well.  "Pirates?  Pfft.  Bounty Hunters?  Pfft.  We don't need their kind of Scum!" was the usual comment.  Then, out of nowhere, Most Wanted.  And Wave 6.

I think with FFG at this point the only thing we can rule out is ruling anything out.

Edited by FTS Gecko

I have a bad feeling the beloved gunboat will be pushed aside in favor for the TIE/sf, the TIE Interceptor 2, TIE Bomber 2, the TIEre, the bowTIE, the maiTIE, the twistTIE, the TIEbar, and everything else TIE. I'm a bit TIEred of TIE Fighter copies. I love my mass swarm of TIE/ln Fighters but I like variety too.

Edited by Eskandare

I have a bad feeling the beloved gunboat will be pushed aside in favor for the TIE/sf, the TIE Interceptor 2, TIE Bomber 2, the TIEre, the bowTIE, the maiTIE, the twistTIE, the TIEbar, and everything else TIE. I'm a bit TIEred of TIE Fighter copies. I love my mass swarm of TIE/ln Fighters but I like variety too.

Actually, you know what?  I know it's early but I could really go for a MaiTIE right now...