FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

I don't understand what's not to like about the gunboat - aesthetics of a Shuttle, cannon, hyperspace capable for scenarios - pretty and powerful.

I can't decide whether the haters are just people who disagree to anything as a knee jerk reaction or just really sarcastic...

People are different, some like the gunboat, some don't. It's not your place to understand why in either case. You're a good example of what I don't like about aspects of this thread, smug superiority over dissenters.

Edited by McFoy

You're a good example of what I don't like about aspects of this thread, smug superiority over dissenters.

Oh, McFoy.  Posts like that say so much more about you than they do about anyone who reads or contributes to this topic (as does the fact that it took you five minutes or so between your initial post and your edits to finalise a response).

If you don't like the Assault Gunboat, if you don't like the discussion that takes place on this topic, then no one is forcing you to look at it.  It's really as simple as that.

It's YOU who chooses to click on the topic.

It's YOU who chooses to read the posts.

It's YOU who chooses to respond to them in the passive-aggressive way you do above.

If you really dislike the topic that much, then the adult response would be to simply ignore it.  To live and let live.  Post about something you actually are interested in.

Instead, you choose to attack the people posting here for discussing something they like.

To be blunt;

Then they shouldn't have send an albino bus to come pick me up.

I imagine the outcome of Endor would have been a lot different if more people had that mindset

It's an older ship sir, but it checks out.

Is this racism to ships? ...?

Not sure it's racism so much as prejudice against ships which suffer from a physiological lack of melanin.

Either way, for shame DarthEnderX!

AND BACK ON TOPIC!

Seems like someone's done an origami XG-1:

SAM_7390.JPG

And credit to the creative individual who made it here

It's another example of the creativity of fans out there!  We have third party 3D printed models, LEGO models, scratch buiilt models, and now ships that can be created out of a piece of cardboard...

The ingenuitiy of X-Wing fans is simply amazing.

Not sure it's racism so much as prejudice against ships which suffer from a physiological lack of melanin.

Either way, for shame DarthEnderX!

AND BACK ON TOPIC!

Seems like someone's done an origami XG-1:

SAM_7390.JPG

And credit to the creative individual who made it here

Oh dang that looks good. Especially for folded paper. Ugh now I really need to revisit those homebrew stats...

You're a good example of what I don't like about aspects of this thread, smug superiority over dissenters.

Oh, McFoy.  Posts like that say so much more about you than they do about anyone who reads or contributes to this topic (as does the fact that it took you five minutes or so between your initial post and your edits to finalise a response).

If you don't like the Assault Gunboat, if you don't like the discussion that takes place on this topic, then no one is forcing you to look at it.  It's really as simple as that.

It's YOU who chooses to click on the topic.

It's YOU who chooses to read the posts.

It's YOU who chooses to respond to them in the passive-aggressive way you do above.

If you really dislike the topic that much, then the adult response would be to simply ignore it.  To live and let live.  Post about something you actually are interested in.

Instead, you choose to attack the people posting here for discussing something they like.

See, I'm fairly indifferent to the gunboat, I like the look but I don't see a place for it. If it was released I'd use it but I really have no desire for it. What bothers me is the black and white view you (and others) have. You treat it like you can only either love it or you hate it, that there is no in between. If I don't like it I'm merely hear to attack the gunboat and that's all. You've got it all figured out already so any points I might make about why I think you're wrong can be handily shut down and I'll run with my tail tucked between my legs like the no good troll I am (I am).

When I was typing that response I was pretty sure it'd be you who would jump on it first, this is your baby after all. Built it from the ground up and encouraged such positive thinking about it all. You are right though, that post does say a lot about me, I really dropped the ball and showed my true colours. Now everybody knows I don't like it when people act smug and disregard adverse opinion.

There's a reason I keep coming back to this thread. It's like when a new sitcom comes out and for awhile it's really fresh, they explore new formulas and really hammer it down into something good. Then it runs for a few years and they never really evolve and the jokes get stale. What was good is still there and you can go back and enjoy the beginning again but it just keeps going and going. Eventually they just keep repeating all those things people loved again and again but at that point they are really grasping and floundering. Sometimes you just need to keep an eye on Frankenstein.

Actually, discussing what role the gunboat, um, the GUNBOAT, will have in the game makes me think about what design spaces still need to be filled? After 8 waves the three factions have become pretty well rounded. Dozens, if not hundreds of ships in the EU still remain, and the new movies and television episodes will bring more designs as well. When will X-wing hit critical mass and just start repeating itself? Has it already done so?

When will X-wing hit critical mass and just start repeating itself? Has it already done so?

The F/O and TAP suggest the empire has reached that point.  Different greens, an s-loop, +/- 1 hull for a shield, but basically the same thing.  A ship baseline cost under 20 for cheap aces around 30 points (+/- 5) with 3 green dice and movement actions.  The only ships that feel unique, imo, are the defender, phantom, and the large-based ships.

And there is nothing to say that FFG can't modify the original design slightly, to add a turret or something (though not sure where they'd put it...) to make it more unique than it could be otherwise

When will X-wing hit critical mass and just start repeating itself? Has it already done so?

The F/O and TAP suggest the empire has reached that point.  Different greens, an s-loop, +/- 1 hull for a shield, but basically the same thing.  A ship baseline cost under 20 for cheap aces around 30 points (+/- 5) with 3 green dice and movement actions.  The only ships that feel unique, imo, are the defender, phantom, and the large-based ships.

And there is nothing to say that FFG can't modify the original design slightly, to add a turret or something (though not sure where they'd put it...) to make it more unique than it could be otherwise

Negative. The Empire lacks 1 ship type... Heavy assault, jack of all trades type fighter. An Imperial version of the B-wing. Something that could take ordnance if it wanted to, but also excels at close range dogfighting. The TIE punisher is a bit to sluggish for this role, and the TIE defender fits more of the interceptor type. (especially given imperial veterans).

A role that the Gunboat could bring to the table, but also with it's own mechanics, and not just be a copy paste of the B-wing. (The mist hunter did for the scum faction, gave them a healthy ship with lots of attack, but also some unique ways to play it. It fills the role nicely).

Oh dang that looks good. Especially for folded paper. Ugh now I really need to revisit those homebrew stats...

IKR?  All praise to Gosric and Mel, but for the sake of essentially a piece of paper...

There's a Thingiverse Xg-1 as well... I had my library print out four of them.

I imagine the outcome of Endor would have been a lot different if more people had that mindset

Not quite, racism but in fact its "ageism."

Darn, imperial ageists!

Edited by knavelead

Not quite, racism but in fact its "ageism."

Darn, imperial ageists!

True.