FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

I would remove the cannon slot. What is the point of having all those missiles if you can just pay 7 points for an infinite use heavy laser cannon?

Maybe replace it with a systems slot? (actually, if you did that, it essentially becomes to Punisher)

I would remove the cannon slot. What is the point of having all those missiles if you can just pay 7 points for an infinite use heavy laser cannon?

Maybe replace it with a systems slot? (actually, if you did that, it essentially becomes to Punisher)

And thus you hit on the real difficulty with the Gunboat - that role-wise, it's basically the Punisher.

Unless you give it a title or something to let it shoot cannon and ordnance in the same round, at which point it becomes crazy-powerful, probably to the point of being OP unless there's some major balancing factor.

And thus you hit on the real difficulty with the Gunboat - that role-wise, it's basically the Punisher.

Unless you give it a title or something to let it shoot cannon and ordnance in the same round, at which point it becomes crazy-powerful, probably to the point of being OP unless there's some major balancing factor.

So we need FFG to do is. .

Stream Worlds, ensure every X wing gamer is watching it, gather everyone round, pull out a MiB memory eraser and make us all forget that the Punisher was ever released and replace it with the Star Wing.

So we need FFG to do is. .

Stream Worlds, ensure every X wing gamer is watching it, gather everyone round, pull out a MiB memory eraser and make us all forget that the Gunboat was ever created and replace it with the Sun Crusher.

fix'd

I disagree (although your view is mirrored by FFG's designers it would seem).  I think a swiss army knife role with a meh dial and ok stats both catches the in game role and would serve a handy niche for the Gunboat in a faction otherwise dominated by aces and arkful dodgers.

One way to represent this is a heavily generic ship (cheap and cheerful with minimal upgrades except for perhaps an EPT for a PS3) that has a title based approach like with the TIE Defender and TIE Advanced.  For instance: title cards that

- limit its ordnance <3 and/or cannons to <4 points and allow primary fire at the same time

- title cards that enable cheap access to engine upgrade or SLAM for instance (at the cost of ordnance slots, or stats)

- title cards that allow System cards only.

Having all of these on one ship would either make it a punisher clone or hideously OP.  Having limited access through title cards would mean a more mission orientated approach.  Which was what 'boats were all about.

Edited by Xerandar

As mentioned upthread, at least as far as its attack profile is concerned, the XG-1 is comparable to a BTL-A4 Ion Y-Wing with Missiles instead of Torpedoes. Very arc-focussed, and manoeuvrable enough to make it work, although it was slower than every TIE variant I think (might've outpaced Bombers but that may have just been the AI setting up attack runs...).

Im going to speak heresy here...

Give it a crew ile the g1a and e2 bwing.

Adding a second seat isnt unreasonable with that cockpit, and would serve the same role as the rebel astromech, for the droid-hating empire.

So, when I eventually get my 3D printed ones (assuming they won't be in wave 9) what's the best way of cleaning the gunk off it? I tried a toothbrush and warm water for the last lot but I mostly had to scrape it off with a scalpel.

A mildly aggressive tooth brush with nail polish remove. Just want to remove any waxy build ups in the cracks. If the model has large flat areas you can use an ultra fine sandpaper. I use the stuff for Gundam models.

Some say to let it sit over night till it gets white. DO NOT DO THIS. They are stripping off the waxy layer that has all the detail.

System upgrades for XG-1 only:

Power redistribution system (system upgrade)

On a green maneuver add one att or Agi die

Beam Weapon integration (system upgrade)

Equip Tractor beam at normal cost. After attacking with Tractor Beam, you can perform another attack with a primary or secondary weapon. You can not make any more attacks this round.

Xg-1 title: we don't need titles for this thing.

Different dial, stats. And missiles and a cannon. So really not like a Y-wing at all I guess.

.... same agility, total health is off by a single point, replacing a torp with a missile is barely a change, the dial is different by a single manouver option and it can't take R2s to add green, lastly swapping a turret for a cannon on a ship with a dial that crappy that has no repositioning ability and **** stats?

What is dead may never die! 

This is btw my favorite thread on this forum.

Calm yourself Commander Shepard. .

On a more hilarious note, can someone, please, PLEASE email the thread link to someone at FFG and suggest they at least acknowledge the fandom.