FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

So far, just getting them to use anything that's not a TIE Fighter is like pulling teeth.  I can't imagine how resistant they are to using a non-TIE.

Well, to be fair so far they've only released one film in the Force Awakens and one series in Rebels.  Rebels has also dipped into the EU for ship designs (see Interdictor).  It's still very early to be making blanket statements like that; maybe if after we've seen another couple of films, games and TV series Disney are still doggedly sticking to TIEs and nothing but TIEs it might be a valid concern.

Still, 'Force Awakens' did have two distinct TIE Fighter types in it, and it's telling to see how the 'Special Forces' tie appeared in concept art...

starwars-tiestarfighter-concept.jpg

...before they finally opted for "no, just make it look like a regular TIE Fighter with more greebles" for production use.

Disney is a pretty big fan of making things market-identifiable

****, that ones beautiful.

I'd of much preferred seeing that over the lame copy paste we got.

300k sd seems a bit high even if they're doing the standard stats fiddle by lumping decrepit and obsolete models into one category. I'm also inclined to view the lesser number as valid owing to the logistical strains of building the Death Star (and indeed it's raison d'etre).

The Newcanon has resurrected the "25,000+ Imperial-class star destroyers" figure, at least - one of the new video games has it.

Add in rarer models and obsolete models, and it'll be a lot more in total - though maybe not into the 100,000+ range.

So far, just getting them to use anything that's not a TIE Fighter is like pulling teeth.  I can't imagine how resistant they are to using a non-TIE.

Well, to be fair so far they've only released one film in the Force Awakens and one series in Rebels.  Rebels has also dipped into the EU for ship designs (see Interdictor).  It's still very early to be making blanket statements like that; maybe if after we've seen another couple of films, games and TV series Disney are still doggedly sticking to TIEs and nothing but TIEs it might be a valid concern.

Still, 'Force Awakens' did have two distinct TIE Fighter types in it, and it's telling to see how the 'Special Forces' tie appeared in concept art...

...before they finally opted for "no, just make it look like a regular TIE Fighter with more greebles" for production use.

For real? **** disney this design looks awesome, it like the Avenger and Defender had a love child. 

For real? **** disney this design looks awesome, it like the Avenger and Defender had a love child.

Tbh I'd be totally fine never getting an Avenger if we got one of those with a System, Tech, and maybe a crew slot.

300k sd seems a bit high even if they're doing the standard stats fiddle by lumping decrepit and obsolete models into one category. I'm also inclined to view the lesser number as valid owing to the logistical strains of building the Death Star (and indeed it's raison d'etre).

The Newcanon has resurrected the "25,000+ Imperial-class star destroyers" figure, at least - one of the new video games has it.

Add in rarer models and obsolete models, and it'll be a lot more in total - though maybe not into the 100,000+ range.

Star Wars: Uprising. And to be exact they were talking exclusively about the Imperial 1 or 2 class not both classes.

Also take into consideration their combined military manufacturing capabilities. Its because of them that good arguments are made that the GE will flood and murder stomp the GEOM from WH40k, whiling using high end figures no less.

Besides the 300k+ SD figure from named systems or sectors only in the GE, in total they have over 1 mil capships in the IMP Navy when counting non SD cap ships.

Star Destroyers can be anything from the common Imperial/Imperator class to the clone wars era ships like the Victor(y) and Venator classes. Tector class and others in the Star Destroyer designation would also count.

More numerous capital ships would include the Arghkittens! and similar frigates and cruisers. Even corvettes and patrol ships like the Raider would count in the 1 million capital shop estimates. Even ships like the Gozanti might be included if designations are stretched. I can easily see over a million of such ships in service across the empire as the most commonly encountered capital ships, while SDs would be present during the extraordinary events depicted in the movies.

I still say that there are at least three different classes of mile long imperial capital ships in the films, not including the Tector class. All such ships appearing in ANH were the same class as the Devastator, the first SD seen on screen. These shops had lateral quad cannons in their trenches as well as axial batteries and two ion batteries on the main batteries flanking the bridge tower.

The second variety is the class the Tyrant belongs to, the ship that got hit by the Ion cannon at Hoth (good, our first catch of the day). It has engine baffles similar to the Devastor type but appears to have armament like the Avenger, the third subtype.

I feel like it's quite similar to the sith ship for the warrior/inquisitor in the old republic mmo.  Which I loved.

I was about to post that. 

Fury-class interceptor. Which is a weird type designation for what's basically a militarized light freighter. Probably should have been called the Fury-class interdictor (to imply that the ship is designed to interdict Republic ships). 

I vote that we give this lovely concept the fanon name of TIE Fury, until such time as Disney/LFL sees fit to into it into canon and gives it an official name. 

Edited by Vigil

The second variety is the class the Tyrant belongs to, the ship that got hit by the Ion cannon at Hoth (good, our first catch of the day). It has engine baffles similar to the Devastor type but appears to have armament like the Avenger, the third subtype.

That might be more an artefact of using two different props to represent the same ship. From a distance, the ANH prop. Up close, the TESB prop. I wouldn't necessarily consider it to be an unique subtype merely because of that.

Star Wars: Uprising. And to be exact they were talking exclusively about the Imperial 1 or 2 class not both classes.

The Wookieepedia Canon page for "Imperial-class Star Destroyer" (covering both subclasses) cites Uprising as the source for there being 25,000+ total.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial-class_Star_Destroyer

I'm not sure if there's a newcanon source that specifically states 25,000+ Imperial I and several thousand Imperial II.

I feel like it's quite similar to the sith ship for the warrior/inquisitor in the old republic mmo.  Which I loved.

Fury-class interceptor. Which is a weird type designation for what's basically a militarized light freighter. Probably should have been called the Fury-class interdictor (to imply that the ship is designed to interdict Republic ships). 

I vote that we give this lovely concept the fanon name of TIE Fury, until such time as Disney/LFL sees fit to into it into canon and gives it an official name. 

Nah, TOR era had it's own interdictor star destroyer thing, that and the name is getting overused a little. It's a bit like Made by operators for operators who operate operationally.

That might be more an artefact of using two different props to represent the same ship. From a distance, the ANH prop. Up close, the TESB prop. I wouldn't necessarily consider it to be an unique subtype merely because of that.

No the model in ESB for the Tyrant and Avenger were the same, only with the engine baffles changed. This has been confirmed by Curtis Saxton in his investigations.

That TIE Concept is truly something to behold, I must admit.

I must also admit that not only does it make sense to update and work on an existing chassis for a TIE Variant, but also for marketing reasons, it makes sense.

We'll see that fighter someday, in some form. Fret not.

That TIE Concept is truly something to behold, I must admit.I must also admit that not only does it make sense to update and work on an existing chassis for a TIE Variant, but also for marketing reasons, it makes sense.We'll see that fighter someday, in some form. Fret not.

But, this whole thread is about fretting!

No the model in ESB for the Tyrant and Avenger were the same, only with the engine baffles changed. This has been confirmed by Curtis Saxton in his investigations.

That's not how Star Wars props work. Changing the Avenger prop to have baffles would be a much bigger undertaking than simply reusing the Devastator prop.

The first Tyrant shot:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tyrant

tyrant1.jpg

has everything match the Devastator - back of tower, shape of "tower domes" - the lot.

Devastator (Star Wars Poster Monthly):

devastator-imperial-class-star-destroyer

The second Tyrant shot - of the ion bolts hitting it - uses an unmodified Avenger model.

Where exactly did Saxton state that a third prop was used to represent the Tyrant?

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/isdlist.html

• Tyrant

Member of Emperor's Death Squadron and temporarily disabled by ion cannon barrage at the Battle of Hoth. Commanded by Captain Lennox. An ISD-I vessel, like the Devastator.

This pic:

hqdefault.jpg

shows a prop that's clearly the ISD prop from ANH - in front of the Executor - but it's had the "Array" between the domes modified very slightly. Easier than installing baffles on the Avenger model:

isdaft2.jpg

Edited by Ironlord

There aren't any Assault Gunboats in the Mask of Leia fan film, which I posted in the off topic forum... maybe in the special edition...

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/218233-mask-of-leia-fan-film/

Simply not good enough DariusAPB!  I think we need to have words with the creators...

As an aside, has anyone else noticed that the asteroid formation in the bottom left of this image from the new preview article:

...looks suspiciously like the profile of a Skipray Blastboat?

WAVE NINE SPOILER CONFIRMED.

LOL!

Nah, TOR era had it's own interdictor star destroyer thing, that and the name is getting overused a little. It's a bit like Made by operators for operators who operate operationally.

Fine. It should have been called the Fury-class Battle Freighter. 

Happy? 

It's definitely not an interceptor. 

Happy? 

By what definition?

Happy? 

By what definition?

Star Wars pseudo military jargon. Interceptors are fighters with interception duty, interdictor fighers are strike bombers with interdiction duty (aka destroying semi-mobile transports/weapon platforms, tankers, freighters, etc), bombers are ironically made primary for torpedo runs and secondary for bombing ground targets, so they are actually torpedo-bombers. ;-)

And so on, oh Interdictor Cruisers are quite unique because of their gravity-well-projectors, but in essence they are still dedicated blockade ships. And one of a kind in many ways because of how hyperspace works. 

edit: Oh and with interception I mean fighter interception. 

Edited by SEApocalypse