FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

On 3/19/2020 at 8:28 PM, All Shields Forward said:

Fractalsponge had his Starwings in the Essential Guide to Warfare before Disney bought the license,  so until FFG released their model, his version *was* the canon interpretation. 

And now it still is, because FFG's version is a straight copy/paste of FractalSponge's. It matches even the particular shape of the solar panels.

2 minutes ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I want one. But I’m not paying $112 for it. 

Seems like it filled a good niche for the Empire. Why wouldn’t they give it the 2.0verhaul?

I was crazy enough to buy 4 of them when they came out, and now I don't regret doing it. :D

FFG has stopped reediting old ships into 2.0, at least temporarily, because they weren't selling well. But in my opinion, it's just because they chose to reedit a strange selection of useless or unpopular ships.

16 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

I want one. But I’m not paying $112 for it. 

Seems like it filled a good niche for the Empire. Why wouldn’t they give it the 2.0verhaul?

Obvious answer is they haven't got around to it yet.  There's a LOT of ships still to make the transition to 2nd Edition.

For the Empire, the TIE Fighters, Advanced, Advanced Prototype, Interceptor, Bomber, Striker, Defender, Reaper and Lambda were/are all higher up the food chain as they're all canon, between the films and Rebels.

The Big Gun TIE from Solo might even could me out before a Gunboat re-release 

Then it'll be between the Gunboat, TIE Punisher and TIE Aggressor...

Sweet as it is, the Gunboat took a long time to arrive in 1st Edition, it'll probably take a long time to be reprinted for 2nd.

Hopefully not quite as long, though...

So, are these things good as one-ofs in a list with other TIEs/big ships, like Reapers, Lambdas, or VT-49s? I went hunting for them, as a fan of the old X-Wing computer games, and managed to acquire one for a far more reasonable sum than I’d been finding elsewhere, but there was only one available. Wondering how best to use it...

Posted (edited)

I have 2 Gunboats, still unopened, which i would be willing to sell and ship worldwide for a fair price.

If someone is interested just leave me a message, i'm located in Europe.

Edited by BankTheTank

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Cpt ObVus said:

So, are these things good as one-ofs in a list with other TIEs/big ships, like Reapers, Lambdas, or VT-49s? I went hunting for them, as a fan of the old X-Wing computer games, and managed to acquire one for a far more reasonable sum than I’d been finding elsewhere, but there was only one available. Wondering how best to use it...

It's a reasonable ship as a one-of.  Heck, it's probably *best* as a one-of ship, but folks like flying squads of them.

Best pilot is probably Major Vynder with OS-1, Proton and Advanced Proton Torpedoes, Fire Control System, Advanced SLAM.  You can crank out a torpedo each turn at any range, and keep reloading.  He's great when flown with Colonel Jendon in the Lambda for long-range Locks, ideally also with Emperor Palpatine for force, and Vader is great as the 3rd ship.

However, applying the same principles to a generic also works.  OS-1, Passive Sensors (FCS synergizes better with OS-1, since you can crank Torps or Missiles out every round while reloading, but Init 2-3 Gunboats have a lot harder of a type to get Locks, so Passive Sensors), maybe Advanced SLAM (it's not vital... Passive Sensors can't be used with Advanced SLAM), and choice of munitions.

I kinda think Diamond Boron Missiles is a great piece for a single gunboat, since you can use it against a single target for "almost" a 4 dice attack (use the second charge to add a die), or it'll work to potentially splash some damage against a group.  It's also cheap.  OS-1/Passive/DBM on a Nu is only 41 points, and probably fits along just about anything in Imperials.

XG-1 Cannon Gunboats are something that just hasn't really seemed to work out.  They can be fun enough, but just haven't been wicked successful.  I'm inclined to think going only for a cannon (Ion or Autoblasters) and Advanced SLAM is probably the best, but there's also potential to mix ordnance and Cannon.  Ion Cannon with Advanced Proton Torpedoes, or Autoblasters with a range 2-3 missile or Torpedo (Ion Torps? Regular?).  As I say, it hasn't really worked out.  Overall, an OS-1 filler is probably better.

Edited by theBitterFig

WARNING: THIS IS PROBABLY (CERTAINLY) NOT TOURNAMENT VIABLE!

I honestly think that Nu Squad pilots with auto blasters and advanced slam are a hoot. At 39 points, they are fun in the same way that CLT Jedi nights are; they can be just about anywhere, they are relatively survivable, they can spike damage when you line up those bullseyes, and, most importantly, they are super fun. I agree that passive sensors and adv proton torps (or really any munition) is probably better, but this is fun, especially en masse. 

1 hour ago, urbanyeti said:

WARNING: THIS IS PROBABLY (CERTAINLY) NOT TOURNAMENT VIABLE!

I honestly think that Nu Squad pilots with auto blasters and advanced slam are a hoot. At 39 points, they are fun in the same way that CLT Jedi nights are; they can be just about anywhere, they are relatively survivable, they can spike damage when you line up those bullseyes, and, most importantly, they are super fun. I agree that passive sensors and adv proton torps (or really any munition) is probably better, but this is fun, especially en masse. 

Hrm... Mix and match?  Three Autoblasters, two Ion Torpedo/Passive Sensor.  Those 4-dice attacks potentially line things up for the ABS ones, and a good way for a ship which can't turn around to keep some positional advantage on ships which *can* turn around might be to use Torpedoes.

Only question: OS-1 or XG-1 and Jamming Beam on the Passive/Ion Torp ones?

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

Hrm... Mix and match?  Three Autoblasters, two Ion Torpedo/Passive Sensor.  Those 4-dice attacks potentially line things up for the ABS ones, and a good way for a ship which can't turn around to keep some positional advantage on ships which *can* turn around might be to use Torpedoes.

Only question: OS-1 or XG-1 and Jamming Beam on the Passive/Ion Torp ones?

I would argue xg-1 jamming because I can't really see OS-1 without fire control system. I like the utility of xg-1. I have never fielded ion torps. Are they good? I have long been a proponent of rhos with autoblasters/xg-1/adv pro torps/passive sensors/marksmenship/ but that same list build could sub in the ion torps at no additional cost.