FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

It was a matter of time they would show up at a big event. They are priced very aggressively right now. Kind of makes the Tie Bomber sad again like 1E when they first came out. 

6 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

It was a matter of time they would show up at a big event. They are priced very aggressively right now. Kind of makes the Tie Bomber sad again like 1E when they first came out. 

For extended, yes. Hyperspace says, "lol, no."

Posted (edited)

there is only a two point difference between the Nu and Scimitar, but there's a 3 point difference between the Rho and Gamma (dunno how relevant y-wing spam is in extended) and then there's the weirdness of the named pilots where Tomax is 3 cheaper than Vynder but Jonus is 4 points more expensive

Anyway, I still don't think the two are similar enough to really merit comparison. You can't really fly boats in a Jonus blob (well, you can but not terribly effectively...you're kinda giving up their maneuverability and really emphasizing their inability to K-turn or drop bombs)

Boats and Jendon were always a match made in heaven mechanically-speaking (FCS boats + Jendon = Jonus without the bull), but the points jiggling really made them a  viable combo

Edited by ficklegreendice

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Anyway, I still don't think the two are similar enough to really merit comparison. You can't really fly boats in a Jonus blob (well, you can but not terribly effectively...you're kinda giving up their maneuverability and really emphasizing their inability to K-turn or drop bombs)

This bears repeating. The devs made the TIE/sa really great at one thing in 2.0, and that's bombing.

Seriously, nimble bomber is an awesome ship ability that isn't emphasized nearly enough.

My next list to try is 5x scimitars with Homing missiles and Proton Bombs. The missiles are more of a distraction, but you can catch X- and Y-Wings in the blast from 2-3 bombs in a turn and they just burn up. Not hard to outlive them at all, and almost makes me think it would be a good counter to Rebel Beef and maybe Yion.

I'm pretty sure the Gunboat's most obviously effective role is flanking/disruption.  Even a lone Ion Gunboat can wreck havoc on your squadron if left unattended.  SLAM lets them quickly move around opposing ships, and AdSLAM lets them do it without losing attacks or modifiers.

Posted (edited)

Can confirm. Vynder has been great for me as a disruption flanker. Been running ordnance mainly, but an absolute beaut at either being a huge distraction for aces to deal with, or an outright damage beast. Of all the plethora of options a gunboat providess, my new favourite is Ion Cannon and Advanced Protons. Vynder has done disgusting things with that combo.

Edited by NakedDex

35 minutes ago, NakedDex said:

Can confirm. Vynder has been great for me as a disruption flanker. Been running ordnance mainly, but an absolute beaut at either being a huge distraction for aces to deal with, or an outright damage beast. Of all the plethora of options a gunboat providess, my new favourite is Ion Cannon and Advanced Protons. Vynder has done disgusting things with that combo.

Take Ion missiles and OS1 instead. Opens up the option to Ion then slam in for apt next turn :)

Honestly, I haven't found an issue lining that up anyway, and the ion cannon gives more flex. I've run the ordnance boat a lot, and while it's great, I've so often found myself missing out on arguably better shots due to the wrong ship being locked. Ion missiles are good, but flex is great.

Posted (edited)

Liking @NakedDex's take here.  Ion Cannon/Advanced seems like a solid combo, regardless of Initiative.  Although you're free to fire Ion Torps after a SLAM with the OS-1 title, the lock requirement makes the build a bit inflexible.

There's not a huge amount in it, but XG-1/Ion lets you quickly switch to targets of opportunity.

Edited by FTS Gecko

I’ve run both, often found myself unable to capitalise on an Ioned ship with my apt without the ability to SLAM and shoot unless it’s pointed directly at the Gunboat.

Ah well, must just suit your play style better!