Jump to content
FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

Recommended Posts

It was a matter of time they would show up at a big event. They are priced very aggressively right now. Kind of makes the Tie Bomber sad again like 1E when they first came out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

It was a matter of time they would show up at a big event. They are priced very aggressively right now. Kind of makes the Tie Bomber sad again like 1E when they first came out. 

For extended, yes. Hyperspace says, "lol, no."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

there is only a two point difference between the Nu and Scimitar, but there's a 3 point difference between the Rho and Gamma (dunno how relevant y-wing spam is in extended) and then there's the weirdness of the named pilots where Tomax is 3 cheaper than Vynder but Jonus is 4 points more expensive

Anyway, I still don't think the two are similar enough to really merit comparison. You can't really fly boats in a Jonus blob (well, you can but not terribly effectively...you're kinda giving up their maneuverability and really emphasizing their inability to K-turn or drop bombs)

Boats and Jendon were always a match made in heaven mechanically-speaking (FCS boats + Jendon = Jonus without the bull), but the points jiggling really made them a  viable combo

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Anyway, I still don't think the two are similar enough to really merit comparison. You can't really fly boats in a Jonus blob (well, you can but not terribly effectively...you're kinda giving up their maneuverability and really emphasizing their inability to K-turn or drop bombs)

This bears repeating. The devs made the TIE/sa really great at one thing in 2.0, and that's bombing.

Seriously, nimble bomber is an awesome ship ability that isn't emphasized nearly enough.

My next list to try is 5x scimitars with Homing missiles and Proton Bombs. The missiles are more of a distraction, but you can catch X- and Y-Wings in the blast from 2-3 bombs in a turn and they just burn up. Not hard to outlive them at all, and almost makes me think it would be a good counter to Rebel Beef and maybe Yion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure the Gunboat's most obviously effective role is flanking/disruption.  Even a lone Ion Gunboat can wreck havoc on your squadron if left unattended.  SLAM lets them quickly move around opposing ships, and AdSLAM lets them do it without losing attacks or modifiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can confirm. Vynder has been great for me as a disruption flanker. Been running ordnance mainly, but an absolute beaut at either being a huge distraction for aces to deal with, or an outright damage beast. Of all the plethora of options a gunboat providess, my new favourite is Ion Cannon and Advanced Protons. Vynder has done disgusting things with that combo.

 

Edited by NakedDex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, NakedDex said:

Can confirm. Vynder has been great for me as a disruption flanker. Been running ordnance mainly, but an absolute beaut at either being a huge distraction for aces to deal with, or an outright damage beast. Of all the plethora of options a gunboat providess, my new favourite is Ion Cannon and Advanced Protons. Vynder has done disgusting things with that combo.

 

Take Ion missiles and OS1 instead. Opens up the option to Ion then slam in for apt next turn :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I haven't found an issue lining that up anyway, and the ion cannon gives more flex. I've run the ordnance boat a lot, and while it's great, I've so often found myself missing out on arguably better shots due to the wrong ship being locked. Ion missiles are good, but flex is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Liking @NakedDex's take here.  Ion Cannon/Advanced seems like a solid combo, regardless of Initiative.  Although you're free to fire Ion Torps after a SLAM with the OS-1 title, the lock requirement makes the build a bit inflexible.

There's not a huge amount in it, but XG-1/Ion lets you quickly switch to targets of opportunity.

Edited by FTS Gecko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve run both, often found myself unable to capitalise on an Ioned ship with my apt without the ability to SLAM and shoot unless it’s pointed directly at the Gunboat.

Ah well, must just suit your play style better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...