FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

there is only a two point difference between the Nu and Scimitar, but there's a 3 point difference between the Rho and Gamma (dunno how relevant y-wing spam is in extended) and then there's the weirdness of the named pilots where Tomax is 3 cheaper than Vynder but Jonus is 4 points more expensive

Anyway, I still don't think the two are similar enough to really merit comparison. You can't really fly boats in a Jonus blob (well, you can but not terribly effectively...you're kinda giving up their maneuverability and really emphasizing their inability to K-turn or drop bombs)

Boats and Jendon were always a match made in heaven mechanically-speaking (FCS boats + Jendon = Jonus without the bull), but the points jiggling really made them a  viable combo

Edited by ficklegreendice

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Anyway, I still don't think the two are similar enough to really merit comparison. You can't really fly boats in a Jonus blob (well, you can but not terribly effectively...you're kinda giving up their maneuverability and really emphasizing their inability to K-turn or drop bombs)

This bears repeating. The devs made the TIE/sa really great at one thing in 2.0, and that's bombing.

Seriously, nimble bomber is an awesome ship ability that isn't emphasized nearly enough.

My next list to try is 5x scimitars with Homing missiles and Proton Bombs. The missiles are more of a distraction, but you can catch X- and Y-Wings in the blast from 2-3 bombs in a turn and they just burn up. Not hard to outlive them at all, and almost makes me think it would be a good counter to Rebel Beef and maybe Yion.

I'm pretty sure the Gunboat's most obviously effective role is flanking/disruption.  Even a lone Ion Gunboat can wreck havoc on your squadron if left unattended.  SLAM lets them quickly move around opposing ships, and AdSLAM lets them do it without losing attacks or modifiers.

Can confirm. Vynder has been great for me as a disruption flanker. Been running ordnance mainly, but an absolute beaut at either being a huge distraction for aces to deal with, or an outright damage beast. Of all the plethora of options a gunboat providess, my new favourite is Ion Cannon and Advanced Protons. Vynder has done disgusting things with that combo.

Edited by NakedDex

35 minutes ago, NakedDex said:

Can confirm. Vynder has been great for me as a disruption flanker. Been running ordnance mainly, but an absolute beaut at either being a huge distraction for aces to deal with, or an outright damage beast. Of all the plethora of options a gunboat providess, my new favourite is Ion Cannon and Advanced Protons. Vynder has done disgusting things with that combo.

Take Ion missiles and OS1 instead. Opens up the option to Ion then slam in for apt next turn :)

Honestly, I haven't found an issue lining that up anyway, and the ion cannon gives more flex. I've run the ordnance boat a lot, and while it's great, I've so often found myself missing out on arguably better shots due to the wrong ship being locked. Ion missiles are good, but flex is great.

Liking @NakedDex's take here.  Ion Cannon/Advanced seems like a solid combo, regardless of Initiative.  Although you're free to fire Ion Torps after a SLAM with the OS-1 title, the lock requirement makes the build a bit inflexible.

There's not a huge amount in it, but XG-1/Ion lets you quickly switch to targets of opportunity.

Edited by FTS Gecko

I’ve run both, often found myself unable to capitalise on an Ioned ship with my apt without the ability to SLAM and shoot unless it’s pointed directly at the Gunboat.

Ah well, must just suit your play style better!

5 hours ago, urbanyeti said:

2 points for autoblasters?!? More like auto-include-blasters! This means we have basically the ability to slam and shoot with a our primary weapon value plus a bullseyes bonus (at range 2). 34 points for a nu with autoblasters. I am into this!

I kinda like the thought of XG-1 Autoblaster on Passive Sensor/Proton Torpedo Nus.  Without Fire Control System helping with Lock action efficiency, OS-1 seems like it might be harder to use on a Passive Sensors Gunboat.  Meanwhile, XG-1 and Autoblaster is cheap enough that you can add it to four Passive/Torp Nus in a list.  Torps at long range.  Enemies crashing into Range 1 might get hit by up to 4 dice attacks, if it's in bullseye and you aren't disarmed.  SLAM seems pretty usable, since you'll still have essentially your primary.

Ok, I have a new love:

Rho Squadron Pilot

- XG-1 Configuration, Passive Sensors, Plasma Torps, Autoblasters, Marksmanship

50 Points

But then, you take 4 of them. It is magic. This is the build I have been waiting for since 2.0 done launched. Tanky, sooooo much repositioning, shooting stuff all the time, kinda alpha strike-y, the occasional unblockable crit. What's not to love?

On 6/25/2019 at 6:37 PM, urbanyeti said:

2 points for autoblasters?!? More like auto-include-blasters! This means we have basically the ability to slam and shoot with a our primary weapon value plus a bullseyes bonus (at range 2). 34 points for a nu with autoblasters. I am into this!

Ya....it's pretty much an auto-include on Res Transports, too. 

Blasters are going up to 3 or 4 next season, calling it now. 

4 hours ago, urbanyeti said:

Ok, I have a new love:

Rho Squadron Pilot

50 Points

But then, you take 4 of them. It is magic. This is the build I have been waiting for since 2.0 done launched. Tanky, sooooo much repositioning, shooting stuff all the time, kinda alpha strike-y, the occasional unblockable crit. What's not to love?

Will get super nerfed next points change if people start flying this too much.  Definitely fun though.

5 hours ago, urbanyeti said:

Ok, I have a new love:

Rho Squadron Pilot

50 Points

How often does Markmanship trigger on a ship without barrel roll or other repositioning abilities? Is it worth having a Rho with it, rather than a Nu with Advanced SLAM for getting locks during the slamming rounds so that you can fire the plasmas with both focus and lock?

On 6/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, Azrapse said:

How often does Markmanship trigger on a ship without barrel roll or other repositioning abilities? Is it worth having a Rho with it, rather than a Nu with Advanced SLAM for getting locks during the slamming rounds so that you can fire the plasmas with both focus and lock?

Well even if it doesn't trigger, it would make the enemy really scary and control them to certain point. It looks fine on vynder IMO.

And I have one ordenance question:
Why the people seem to like plasma torps?  If I have torps and missile slots (e.g. Gunboats), I wuold take concussion misiles instead.

36 minutes ago, DexterV said:

Why the people seem to like plasma torps?  If I have torps and missile slots (e.g. Gunboats), I wuold take concussion misiles instead.

You want to deal damage, right?

Proton Torpedoes is 4 dice, but 13 points cost.
Concussion missiles is 3 dice, 6 points cost, and its effect is situational. It does something if the ship already has face-down damage cards, or has nearby ships in that situation.

Plasma Torpedoes is also 3 dice for 9 points, but against shielded ships, it will deal 1 extra damage if you hit. So you have the potential of dealing as much damage as with Proton Torpedoes, for 4 points less. 
When you want to delete a ship from the board fast at the early stages of the game, I think a Plasma Torpedo is more useful than a Concussion Missile.

Edit: Keep in mind that the effect of Plasmas in Second Edition triggers before your dice actually deal damage to the defender, so if the ship is shielded, it will always remove the extra shield first, then your dice will deal damage next.

Edited by Azrapse

I heard somebody describe plasma torps as can openers (sorry whoever said that, I want to give you credit!). (EDIT: I think it was Ficklegreendice?)

In a list like the one below, the i3 Rhos hopefully strip the shields off a target so the i2 nus can push crits with their protons. 

NuRhos

(35) Rho Squadron Pilot [Alpha-class Star Wing]
(0) Xg-1 Assault Configuration
(2) Autoblasters
(9) Plasma Torpedoes
(3) Passive Sensors
(1) Marksmanship

(2) Autoblasters
(9) Plasma Torpedoes
(3) Passive Sensors
(1) Marksmanship

(32) Nu Squadron Pilot [Alpha-class Star Wing]
(2) Autoblasters
(13) Proton Torpedoes
(3) Passive Sensors

(2) Autoblasters
(13) Proton Torpedoes
(3) Passive Sensors

Total points: 200

Edited by urbanyeti

3 hours ago, urbanyeti said:

I heard somebody describe plasma torps as can openers (sorry whoever said that, I want to give you credit!). 

In a list like the one below, the i3 Rhos hopefully strip the shields off a target so the i2 nus can push crits with their protons. 

NuRhos

(2) Autoblasters
(9) Plasma Torpedoes
(3) Passive Sensors
(1) Marksmanship

(2) Autoblasters
(9) Plasma Torpedoes
(3) Passive Sensors
(1) Marksmanship

(2) Autoblasters
(13) Proton Torpedoes
(3) Passive Sensors

(2) Autoblasters
(13) Proton Torpedoes
(3) Passive Sensors

BEHOLD GUNBOATS IN ALL IT'S GLORY! Love this list.

4 hours ago, Azrapse said:

Edit: Keep in mind that the effect of Plasmas in Second Edition triggers before your dice actually deal damage to the defender, so if the ship is shielded, it will always remove the extra shield first, then your dice will deal damage next.

I totally missed that 😛 Now I understand.

Edited by DexterV

In honor of our new DAKKAblaster

Reaper Boats

(41) Major Vynder [Alpha-class Star Wing]
(3) Advanced SLAM
(2) Autoblasters
(1) Marksmanship
(2) Fire-Control System
(6) Concussion Missiles

(0) Os-1 Arsenal Loadout
(6) Diamond-Boron Missiles
(3) Passive Sensors
(3) Advanced SLAM

(45) "Vizier" [TIE Reaper]
(11) Emperor Palpatine

(2) Fire-Control System
(3) Advanced SLAM
(2) Autoblasters
(6) Concussion Missiles

Was messing around in the builder, thought this might be fun.

Rho Squadron Pilot (35)    
    Marksmanship (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    
    Advanced SLAM (3)    
    Xg-1 Assault Configuration (0)    
    Autoblasters (2)    

Ship total: 43  Half Points: 22  Threshold: 4    

Rho Squadron Pilot (35)    
    Marksmanship (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    
    Advanced SLAM (3)    
    Autoblasters (2)    

Rho Squadron Pilot (35)    
    Marksmanship (1)    
    Fire-Control System (2)    
    Advanced SLAM (3)    
    Autoblasters (2)    

Lieutenant Sai (47)    
    Collision Detector (6)    
    Director Krennic (4)    
    Grand Moff Tarkin (6)    
    Shield Upgrade (4)    
    ST-321 (4)    

Ship total: 71  Half Points: 36  Threshold: 6    

Total: 200    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v8ZsZZ163X125W113WWW104W144W232Y163X125W113WWW104W144W232Y163X125W113WWW104W144W232Y166X112WW28W34W165W162&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

For a variety of reasons, I've never been able to fly my gunboat in an event..until now. Flew Major Vynder yesterday in a tournament and finished 2-1; only game I lost was the first round...my dice were Hoth cold but once I got going, things worked. Definitely happy with the gunboat and can't wait to fly it again :)

17 minutes ago, Estarriol said:

So. Extended season is returning in my club and it’s time to start contemplating gunboats once more. Since my 3 plus juking Whisper are no longer legal (points) what are people doing well with? 

Flew this the other week on casual night, went 1 and 1. I don't really think it's an amazing list, but I just wanted to try out a few options for kitting them out.

• Nu (XG-1, Autoblasters, Passive Sensors, Proton Torpedoes) 50
  • Nu (XG-1, Autoblasters, Passive Sensors, Proton Torpedoes) 50
  • Nu (OS-1, Passive Sensors Diamond Boron Missiles) 42
  • Grand Inquisitor (Hate, Fire Control System) 57

Overall, didn't seem too trash.  Passive/DBM Nu seems really solid for the cost.  Blasters/Protons was OK, kinda nice to have two paths to 4 dice (Range 1 bullseye, or Range 2-3 Torpedo), but they're fairly variance-y.  Decent-enough builds, but not like Juke Phantoms which will storm the meta.  They're just the kind of ship you can fly and have an OK time, not hate your life, etc. etc.