FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

3 hours ago, Azrapse said:

Advanced SLAM allows you to only perform the actions in your action bar. You can't perform the action in Passive Sensors with Advanced SLAM at all.

Thanks! Thought I was missing something!

We don't know how much it costs, of course. But I am finding it actually quite interesting.
It definitely helps low initiative Nus to get someone locked for a torpedo attack. You won't be able to double modify it, or use it after SLAM, but it still makes your opponent a bit wary because their aces are no longer "safe" in front of the puny 2 dice primary of the Nu.
The calculate action isn't that useful for low initiative gunboats. Not even for defending because you get it when you engage, and that will be after everyone has attacked you already.

Along with a coordinating ship that is the same initiative or lower than that of the gunboats, you can still potentially get Focus+Lock on a round. But that won't last long, since gunboats like to break formation after the initial alpha strike and shuttles cannot keep up with range 2.

I am debated between that and Fire-control System for OS-1 torpedo boats.
Passive sensors increases the chance of being able to do a torpedo alpha strike without the support of Jendon, but it won't hit as hard.
Meanwhile FCS works better when you can Advanced SLAM a Lock, then with luck its reroll allows you to keep the lock for a following attack where you'll have both Focus+Lock.

On paper FCS seems like the better scenario, but these perfect scenarios rarely happen in actual games, and often it's just better to have the security of performing at least one attack (even if it's singly modified) before being blown up.

3 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Calculate instead of focus also makes sense thematically, if it represents some sort of computer which is searching out potential targets.

Oof, though.  Vader.  That's actually tempting if there's enough Init 6 with deeper bids.  He'd either have second player, and able to dodge arcs, or else as first player, he'd be able to calculate or lock and use force to barrel roll before engaging.  No matter what, he'll have the last word in barrel rolls.

In that case bids become less useful in general, which I'm all for. :P Besides, Vader being the best pilot in the game, and the Advanced being, well, advanced, I don't mind that either. He's still expensive and dies quickly if trapped.

On 3/14/2019 at 2:26 PM, Azrapse said:

We don't know how much it costs, of course. But I am finding it actually quite interesting.
It definitely helps low initiative Nus to get someone locked for a torpedo attack. You won't be able to double modify it, or use it after SLAM, but it still makes your opponent a bit wary because their aces are no longer "safe" in front of the puny 2 dice primary of the Nu.

So the thing which is starting to worry me is a Proton Torpedo Nu, if Passive Sensors is 6 points or less.  If that's true, a squad of 4 Nus with Proton Torpedoes will be possible.  Sure, it's "only" single mod attacks, but Nus aren't too easy to remove before they shoot with 7 HP on 2 green dice, and that feels like a lot of cheap punching power.

3 hours ago, Arma Quattro said:

It is also interesting on defenders.. that more often than not roll blanks and have focus instead of targets.

Ps1 defenders may become quite a threat with this one and just charge head on to the target. 

🙃😊

I guess I don't really see the point on Defenders.  Focus is such a strong action (and necessary... defensive focus is often needed to protect the high points investment) on them that I don't see the point in maybe trading down for a calculate they don't get until Init 1.  While Locks aren't bad, Defenders probably have a higher chance to take one safely than many generics, and those relatively safer turns tend to be ones where they'll be within range of enemies at their normal action.  I'd much rather have FCS for the points.

Passive Sensors seems only good on a limited selection of ships. For example, where a low-Init ship really *needs* a lock. So that'd be mostly low-init ships with Ordnance (Hyenas, Gunboats, TIE Punishers) or TIE Adv x1 whose ability is essentially ordnance.  PS will let them get a lock on the approach against a ship which ought to be able to range-control them.  There's a niche case for Vader who can use the action gained to chain actions before activating.  Phantoms might use it, but that's really only because they don't natively have the Lock action--they'd likely never consider it if they could just Lock on their own.

But I couldn't really see one being that good on a B-Wing, for example, because a Torpedo on a Generic B-Wing is expensive due to paying for the 3-red primary weapon.  I guess it'll be a Hyperspace option since the Alpha Class is Extended-only, and a generic B-Wing with PS and Torps is probably cheaper than, say, Wedge with Torps.  But looking at 55-60 points for a B-Wing just doesn't thrill me.  Could it work on a Selfless B-Wing with a higher priority target in the squad?  Maybe that'd be the way to go, for flexible locking.  But cheaper Bs to get a more expensive Wedge to protect seems better.

Again, I just can't see it being at all good on a Defender.  Not with how they fly, and not with how Focus actions are for their defense and eventually red dice.

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

TIE/v1s can make good use of it, at least the Force ones.

Fair enough.

But I'm sure they'll make better use of it if they also equip missiles. :D  Heck, even Ion Missiles.

Someone like Seventh Sister is in an odd spot where she's almost at an initiative where she can get the locks on her own without tricks.  Meanwhile using FCS to allow her to Evade or link movement/Focus after setting up a lock would be nice.

25 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Fair enough.

But I'm sure they'll make better use of it if they also equip missiles. :D  Heck, even Ion Missiles.

Someone like Seventh Sister is in an odd spot where she's almost at an initiative where she can get the locks on her own without tricks.  Meanwhile using FCS to allow her to Evade or link movement/Focus after setting up a lock would be nice.

If you're putting missiles on them you might as well use Instinctive Aim, I think - though that means they are unmodified.

22 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

If you're putting missiles on them you might as well use Instinctive Aim, I think - though that means they are unmodified.

Hrm.

• Instinctive Aim: No force, but a normal action, maybe linked: Focus, Evade, Boost, Barrel Roll.
  • Passive Sensors: Force, but you don't really have an action until the late Lock.

So IA gives a full focus or evade (better on defense), but no chance of a force/lock double mod on offense.  So the question seems whether a defensive force is good enough for the chance to get a double-mod attack.  If I'm tossing in a Conc Missiles filler ship, I almost think I want PS, to make it hit harder unless the opponent commits to it.  However, IA is clearly going to work better with Homing Missiles since dice mods won't matter, and those are cheaper than Concussion...

Just thought of something funny: Passive Sensors can combine with various force talents.  Heightened Perception means  Init 7 missile shots into anyone you've got arc on, but probably too expensive to bother with.  Or Supernatural Reflexes, if you really want to go all-out.

Instinctive Aim doesn't have any cool tricks to combine with Sensor-slot upgrades.

Posted (edited)

Got my Recon squadron out for a play tonight against Marek, Rexlar and Soontir. Messed up my approach and lost a Nu early on but managed to capitalise on some of my opponent’s mistakes. Won 200-47 :) 

Recon

(32) Nu Squadron Pilot [Alpha-class Star Wing]
(0) Os-1 Arsenal Loadout
(3) Advanced SLAM
(2) Fire-Control System
(6) Adv. Proton Torpedoes
(4) Ion Missiles

(0) Os-1 Arsenal Loadout
(3) Advanced SLAM
(2) Fire-Control System
(4) Ion Missiles

(54) "Whisper" [TIE/ph Phantom]
(5) Juke

(0) Os-1 Arsenal Loadout
(4) Ion Missiles
(3) Advanced SLAM
(2) Fire-Control System

Total points: 200

Edited by Estarriol

2 hours ago, Bucknife said:

Calling on all my Gunboat-cult brothers across the pond;

I need you to level the new Separatist threat with your awesomeness so I can keep flying my 2 and three ship jank. 

Thanks, 

Katarn

Concussion missile jank?

Would just like to say following the Open, Major Vynder is a beast.

Specifically, Vynder, Outmaneuver, Advanced SLAM, XG-1, Ion Cannon.

As a flanker, this ship is a real threat.  No one likes being ioned, and unless you have him in your firing arc, he's probably going to ion you.

He'll be SLAM/Focusing a lot of the tinr, so he can take a bit of punishment as well.

One of those damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-do I'm scenarios.  Ignore him and one of your shipe better prepare to be doing 1 forward, focus for the foreseeable future.  Focus fire on him and the rest of your enemy's list is free to engage.