FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

Just now, Dabirdisdaword said:

Uh. In an empire Ebay lot from someone leaving the game... or wait for the rerelease which is coming someday.

Poor devil ya kinda came into this at a bad time for our glorious gunboat. 

I know! I skipped out of Xwing around the time of the Fang Fighter release and took a loooooong break. Didnt figure on not only the coolest ship ever coming out but also that it would cease to exist! The XG-1 still remains as elusive as ever. 

Just now, generalchaos34 said:

I know! I skipped out of Xwing around the time of the Fang Fighter release and took a loooooong break. Didnt figure on not only the coolest ship ever coming out but also that it would cease to exist! The XG-1 still remains as elusive as ever. 

It's not that it ceased to exist. It's that some people did crazy things like buy 8 gunboats for epic. It was a little cray cray trying to get enough on release lol.

1 minute ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

It's not that it ceased to exist. It's that some people did crazy things like buy 8 gunboats for epic. It was a little cray cray trying to get enough on release lol.

Its almost like that thing everyone has been asking for for years was actually super popular and exactly what peopled wanted and not something lame (im looking at you Rebel TIE and wookie gunship!).  

Just played my first 2.0 tournament which happened to be X-Wing Nordics with 99 participants and of course I brought a Gunboat.

TIE/D Defender - Onyx Squadron Ace - 82
    Onyx Squadron Ace - (78)
        Juke (4)

TIE/ca Punisher - •“Deathrain” - 62
    •“Deathrain” - Dexterous Bombardier (42)
        Trajectory Simulator (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Proton Bombs (5)
        Seismic Charges (3)

Alpha-class Star Wing - •Major Vynder - 56
    •Major Vynder - Pragmatic Survivor (41)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Advanced SLAM (3)
        Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

I went 4-2 ending up in 28th place and my experience from the matches where that Gunboats are still great and so are Defenders. Punishers on the other hand are overrated and so is Vader (ship, not crew).

I only saw one other Gunboat and that was a Nu with Xg-1 and Ion Cannon. Can't say I'm too thrilled about that fit, as someone who ran HLC Gunboats in 1.0 (mostly Karsabi) I feel that torpedoes are really the way to go now, at least until we get a better cannon.

I would like a opinion about my list please :

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - •Colonel Jendon - 46
    •Colonel Jendon - Darth Vader’s Shuttle Pilot (46)

TIE Advanced x1 - •Maarek Stele - 54
    •Maarek Stele - Servant of the Empire (50)
        Marksmanship (1)
        Fire-Control System (3)

Alpha-class Star Wing - Nu Squadron Pilot - 49
    Nu Squadron Pilot - (35)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Xg-1 Assault Configuration (0)
        Ion Cannon (5)

Nu Squadron Pilot - (35)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Ion Cannon (5)

Total: 198/200

At first I dream to bring 3x Rho with Torpedoes and Ion Cannon but sadly the kit have only 2 of them... ?

It's good to have both cannon and torpedoes or just keep only one ?

Edited by Arkanta974

Yeah.
HLC is almost impossible to aim from a Gunboat.
Ion cannon doesn't deal enough damage to win.
Torpedoes deal good damage, but they are harder because of the need of locks. Missiles are, at this point, the weaker siblings of torpedoes.
And if you manage to do well with warheads, a TIE Bomber does the same for fewer points, with more mods.

XG-1 gunboats need a cannon that deals more damage, or the ability to fire a tractor o jamming beam as a bonus attack before the main attack, to make your 2 die primary weapon matter.
OS-1 gunboats need a way to lock targets before engaging them (Long range scanners used to do this), or to modify their attacks if they spent their action that round on locking.

It doesn't help either that Advanced SLAM nowadays stresses your ship, making your next move quite predictable.

5 hours ago, Azrapse said:

Yeah.
HLC is almost impossible to aim from a Gunboat.
Ion cannon doesn't deal enough damage to win.
Torpedoes deal good damage, but they are harder because of the need of locks. Missiles are, at this point, the weaker siblings of torpedoes.
And if you manage to do well with warheads, a TIE Bomber does the same for fewer points, with more mods.

XG-1 gunboats need a cannon that deals more damage, or the ability to fire a tractor o jamming beam as a bonus attack before the main attack, to make your 2 die primary weapon matter.
OS-1 gunboats need a way to lock targets before engaging them (Long range scanners used to do this), or to modify their attacks if they spent their action that round on locking.

It doesn't help either that Advanced SLAM nowadays stresses your ship, making your next move quite predictable.

Basically the gunboat is too expensive for what it can do uniquely (cannon and SLAM) and/or other things do it better and/or cheaper in the Imperial faction (Bombers or Punishers). You can build a decent low PS Ion cannon support ship but it costs 43-46 points to kit out effectively, far more than a 34 point Barrage Bomber.

8 hours ago, Arma Quattro said:

How are you guys doing with your gunboats in this 2.0?

Lost me xwing bases :(

current trend in my Vynder games is everything ******* falls apart EXCEPT for him, and by then he can't exactly carry the game on his ion cannon

Good news is that SLAM as a positioning tool is RIDICULOUSLY strong, which greatly mitigates Initiative disadvantage

problem is ion cannon is a bit too piddly. If we ever get ye old mangler back, though, fcs Vynder will be in business!

have yet to try Jendon. Currently believe you need protorps to follow up Vynder's ion cannon because range 1 has been too difficult to engineer for me. Jendon can set that **** up no problem

and DEFINITELY get fcs. Full mods while ADV SLAMMING around is the bee's knees 

other boats are sadly overpriced, imo. If, again, we get mangler though,bthe sheer positioning flexibility of the boats should make any of them a strong flanker...other than poor Karsabi :(

Edited by ficklegreendice

On 11/13/2018 at 9:27 AM, Arma Quattro said:

How are you guys doing with your gunboats in this 2.0?

Hm, kind of ok. After several iterations I came up with a twin Nus, Redline, Jendon build.

While I love the awesome synergy between Redline and Jendon as well as the raw firepower of the list, aces can be hard to pin down. Anyway, I think I'll stick with the list for now.

Edited by Lord_Haelmchen

I should also mention that I believe the Gunboat needs a price drop

While I feel Vynder's is playable (playable != Top tier, just means you won't get curbstomped into the dirt) the ******* Nu is THIRTY FIVE POINTS WITHOUT UPGRADES

Nevermind the bomber being potentially undercosted, the ******* t-65 at 41 makes the Nu look like a joke

Given the conditions set forth by the loadouts, the ADV SLAM tax, the really bad dial (no Ks/trolls/sloops), and the fact that you need to invest more points just to make the configs do anything, the Nu really should be about 3 points cheaper (so, built in ASLAM) 

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Given the conditions set forth by the loadouts, the ADV SLAM tax, the really bad dial (no Ks/trolls/sloops), and the fact that you need to invest more points just to make the configs do anything, the Nu really should be about 3 points cheaper (so, built in ASLAM) 

Honestly I'm surprised they didn't make Adv. Slam the chassis ability for the Gunboat and the K-wing.

19 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Either built-in ASLAM or the Ewing's ability would've gone a long way to justifying it's price

Given the dominance of I 5 and SLAM Speed, we shoulda had the E's ability ?

Man, the E's ability would've justified the price.

You know, I've been so thoroughly uninspired with Xwing lately that I'll just gonna put this together

Vynder operation Jankpedo

(41) Major Vynder
(0) Xg-1 Assault Configuration
(5) Ion Cannon
(9) Proton Torpedoes
(3) Fire-Control System
(3) Advanced SLAM
(1) Trick Shot
Points 62 

[Or Os-1 plus barrage rockets]

(46) Colonel Jendon
(5) Director Krennic
Points 51

(35) Nu Squadron Pilot
(3) Fire-Control System
(3) Advanced SLAM
(0) Os-1 Arsenal Loadout
(9) Proton Torpedoes
Points 50

(28) Scimitar Squadron Pilot
(9) Proton Torpedoes
Points 37

Total points: 200

Dont actually know when I'll next get to play but...Fuck it, let's see some **** explode 

On 10/29/2018 at 1:55 PM, Arkanta974 said:

I would like a opinion about my list please :

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - •Colonel Jendon - 46
    •Colonel Jendon - Darth Vader’s Shuttle Pilot (46)

TIE Advanced x1 - •Maarek Stele - 54
    •Maarek Stele - Servant of the Empire (50)
        Marksmanship (1)
        Fire-Control System (3)

Nu Squadron Pilot - (35)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Ion Cannon (5)

Nu Squadron Pilot - (35)
        Proton Torpedoes (9)
        Ion Cannon (5)

Total: 198/200

At first I dream to bring 3x Rho with Torpedoes and Ion Cannon but sadly the kit have only 2 of them... ?

It's good to have both cannon and torpedoes or just keep only one ?

I feel like if I'm investing in Colonel Jendon's shuttle, I want OS-1 Starwings.  I'd drop the Ion Cannon for FCS and Advanced SLAM.  That's a preference thing, more than anything else.