FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

51 minutes ago, Green Doo said:

Fellow gunboaters,

what is your current gunboat build you have found fun to fly/good? 

So far I've just been sticking with an XG-1 with FCS, APT, IC, and ASLAM.  You can get a Nu for 52 points or Vynder for 58 points.  Pick up a lock early, pepper them with ions until it sticks, then move into range one with your fully modded APT.

1 hour ago, Green Doo said:

Fellow gunboaters,

what is your current gunboat build you have found fun to fly/good?

Got HORRIBLY caught out by Vynder the other day.  ASLAM, the relevant config, proton torps and APT I think, though prockets might be better.  Not sure what Elite, though.

17 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Got HORRIBLY caught out by Vynder the other day.  ASLAM, the relevant config, proton torps and APT I think, though prockets might be better.  Not sure what Elite, though.

Prockets are no good on the gunboat as they lack roll and boost.  APT are so much easier to set up.

3 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

In agreement with @HolySorcerer.  Ion/Advanced Proton/AdSLAM seems like the current way to go.  Ion/Prockets are cheaper, but unless you're facing mid/large base ships, the bullseye arc is difficult to line up (and mid/large bases are harder to Ion).

Yeah, I agree with this as well. Landing ion tokens with an ion cannon can be tough, though, so I think i'd prefer ion torps. That way you can still slam for APTs. Alternately, take homing missiles as your long range weapon.

I have tried the Ion+APT gunboats, but either I suck at them or didn't have a good match in the two games I tried against Boba (PerCop + Han), Guri (Outmnvr), L3-37 (TacOff).
Killing off the escape craft is super easy, of course, but Boba is hard to ionize when it's medium base and has rerolls, multiple focus and can shoot at your face while you are chasing him. And Guri is even harder to hit and almost impossible to dogfight for a starwing without koiograns or segnors.

The lack of Long Range Scanners is also making it extra hard to actually be effective with your attacks. In the first attack you want to ionize them, so that in the next round you can release the APT at range 1.
If you lock in your first round after AdvSLAM, you have only 1 FCS reroll as single modifier for the Ion cannon. Not great.
If you focus, then you won't have Focus+Target Lock next round for the APT.
Since Advanced SLAM now stresses your ship, it makes you quite predictable next round and easy to block or to be outflown. You opponent knows that you will want to make a 2 speed straight or bank to remove the stress. That makes it harder to get to range 1 without using SLAM (you cannot release APT after SLAMming), especially if your opponent is medium or large base, and their 1 forward ionization maneuver covers more distance.

Now, I have not tried gunboats with OS-1, but I wonder if plain Proton Torpedoes will just make it much simpler to have the gunboat deal consistent damage.

I've tried to use regular proton torps instead of advanced ones. That r2-3 killing zone is big and ionising enemy ship at r3 is hard with cannon. Better just punch straight away big time if you got a chance.

Another important thing is kinda the rest of your list

The Gunboat is an amazing flanker, so you need a solid core

Vynder Five Ship

(41) Major Vynder
(0) Xg-1 Assault Configuration
(5) Ion Cannon
(3) Advanced SLAM
(3) Fire-Control System
(6) Adv. Proton Torpedoes
Points 58

(30) "Wampa"
Points 30

(36) Captain Jonus
(6) Barrage Rockets
Points 42

(28) Scimitar Squadron Pilot
(6) Barrage Rockets
Points 34

(6) Barrage Rockets
Points 34

Total points: 198

My current gunboat build is OS1 with Proton Torpedoes and Barrage Rockets. I'm however often relying on Jendon to get LRS TL round 1, after that the boat is great in creating no-go zones for primary target while still doing reasonable damage vs other target via Barrage.

ugh, another game in and Vynder's buddies are still putsing around before the guy's able to do much

granted I got absolutely butt loved by dice deciding to repeatedly save a bumped Brath from fully modified ion cannon shots, but still we gotta think ahead

Vynder is tough, fast, and hilariously fun to fly as either an arc-dodger or blocker. He might, however, really just need straight proton torpedoes

he hits 61, which is a bit pricey, but he's definitely tough and mobile enough to warrant it

rough comparison with Redline below:

Major Vynder — Alpha-Class Star Wing 41
Fire-Control System 3
Proton Torpedoes 9
Advanced SLAM 3
Xg-1 Assault Configuration 0
Ion Cannon 5
Ship Total: 61

"Redline" — TIE Punisher 44
Advanced Sensors 8
Proton Torpedoes 9

Flew a gunboat earlier today and kinda liked it.

• Major Vynder (Lone Wolf, Proton Torpedo, Fire Control System, Advanced SLAM, OS-1) 60
  • Whisper (Juke, Collision Detector) 61
  • Delta Squadron Pilot (FCS) 75
    • Total 196, bid 4.

Vynder was able to toss off his Proton Torpedoes four times, IIRC, at least two of them with Focus tokens.  I think it needs a list with some sort of anvil like a Defender, so that getting get to the flank is easier, but on it's way there, it'll be 3 green dice, sometimes with a focus token, as well as Lone Wolf.

Because I've also been having a fun time with the new Lambda, and because it has the similar look, I'm tempted to run a Palp Omicron Group Pilot instead of Whisper, and also add an Advanced Proton Torpedo to the gunboat.  That'll be pretty nasty if anyone tries to range control too hard.  Such a list is probably not necessarily *better* than this one, but these are two ships which can both make good use out a long-range force charge.

On 10/2/2018 at 7:27 PM, ficklegreendice said:

ugh, another game in and Vynder's buddies are still putsing around before the guy's able to do much

granted I got absolutely butt loved by dice deciding to repeatedly save a bumped Brath from fully modified ion cannon shots, but still we gotta think ahead

Vynder is tough, fast, and hilariously fun to fly as either an arc-dodger or blocker. He might, however, really just need straight proton torpedoes

he hits 61, which is a bit pricey, but he's definitely tough and mobile enough to warrant it

rough comparison with Redline below:

Major Vynder — Alpha-Class Star Wing 41
Fire-Control System 3
Proton Torpedoes 9
Advanced SLAM 3
Xg-1 Assault Configuration 0
Ion Cannon 5

"Redline" — TIE Punisher 44
Advanced Sensors 8
Proton Torpedoes 9

I'd really drop the ion cannon and go os1. Ion torpedoes(62) tend to ion better than the cannon and the missiles(60) deny range 3 bonus so still help as the opener over the cannon.

Or just forget ion and go os1, protons, advanced protons, advanced slam. Even cheaper and hits like a brick.

Edited by Dabirdisdaword

Not comfortable with just os-1

Requiring a tl to do anything makes for a bad time when you're only I 4

Might try os-1 barrage protons at some point, though, at only a point more. Much less slippery overall, but generally hits harder

Next attempt:

Vynder

(41) Scarif Base Pilot
(13) Emperor Palpatine
Points 54

(41) Major Vynder
(0) Xg-1 Assault Configuration
(5) Ion Cannon
(9) Proton Torpedoes
(3) Fire-Control System
(3) Advanced SLAM
Points 61

(6) Barrage Rockets
(6) Proximity Mines
Points 40

(36) Captain Jonus
(6) Barrage Rockets
Points 42

Total points: 197

Edited by ficklegreendice

I’ve gotten to fly nus with ion/apt/xg-1 a few times now and I cannot articulate how fun/effective they are. I think cheap is the way to go with these ships (and kinda everything in 2.0) 

What do you all think will happen to these guys in January with the first point adjustment?

Also, what additional munitions do you think we see in the FO/Resistance stuff if any? 

35 minutes ago, urbanyeti said:

Also, what additional munitions do you think we see in the FO/Resistance stuff if any? 

"Mag-pulse warheads". Various reference works for sequel trilogy indicate the T-70 and TIE/sf can carry those. 
Of course, it is possible they're functionally very much like ion missiles, in which case we won't see them. But they could be like "one damage, and rest deal Jam tokens".

Just now, generalchaos34 said:

Soooooo, where does one find this amazing star wing i remember from the games of my youth? As far as I can tell they exist nowhere but ebay for $50!

Uh. In an empire Ebay lot from someone leaving the game... or wait for the rerelease which is coming someday.

Poor devil ya kinda came into this at a bad time for our glorious gunboat.