FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

My current take on the gunboat is that it's a good ordnance platform that is significantly more survivable during initial joust (and has better maneuverability on approach). So i prefer to run them with Proton Torpedoes and Barrage Rockets backed by Jendon as it creates a pretty nice alpha (and the ability to slam and still threaten a torpedo shot can catch people by surprise).

if they didnt strip the gunboat of their 2nd cannon slot, HLCs would still be on them a lot.

4pts for a potential 4die attack? Sweet. Wait thats my only attack that actually does something though if i do that? Nvm.....

Really bugs me that we lost a cannon and the bwing gained one and the IG88 kept both theirs.

1 hour ago, HolySorcerer said:

HLC is not a dead upgrade, you just can’t base an entire build around the card anymore. 

It's a fantastic tool against large based ships, it's great for area denial/mod denial (no one wants to end up in the bullseye arc of a HLC carrier, so they often use their action to barrel roll/boost out of the way), and it's CHEAP.  SUPER CHEAP.

I had a couple of HLC Cartel Spacers flying behind the rest of my list, my opponent (flying Luke and the Falcon) spotted the danger and turned away too late.  The Falcon limped away from the opening engagement with just three hull remaining.  It was beautiful.

1 minute ago, Vineheart01 said:

if they didnt strip the gunboat of their 2nd cannon slot, HLCs would still be on them a lot.

4pts for a potential 4die attack? Sweet. Wait thats my only attack that actually does something though if i do that? Nvm.....

Really bugs me that we lost a cannon and the bwing gained one and the IG88 kept both theirs.

eh, neither the B nor IG use both cannons either

though it'd be nice to have two cannons on the XG-1, bullseye is hard to land and XG-1 only allows a max of 3 dice regardless

6 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

eh, neither the B nor IG use both cannons either

though it'd be nice to have two cannons on the XG-1, bullseye is hard to land and XG-1 only allows a max of 3 dice regardless

On the other hand HLC is the only cannon that can deal more than 1 damage.

1 minute ago, PT106 said:

On the other hand HLC is the only cannon that can deal more than 1 damage.

Only if you get to shoot it, in bullseye at range 2-3 

Easier said than done 

Besides, ions are fantastic. I'd rather just bumrush with ion and then follow up with APT than try to gamble on an hlc 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Yeah but gunboats cant even use it.

We have no cannon w/o XG1, but if we take HLC then our main damage is ordnance but without the OS1 ordnance perks.

If you take HLC on a gunboat, you are going to hurt. Either you will constantly find yourself going "I cant slam, cause i dont have OS1 and i wont get bullseye with slam either" or "i cant line this bullseye up.."

3 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Only if you get to shoot it, in bullseye at range 2-3 

Easier said than done 

No disagreement, HLC as it is right now is mostly a weapon of opportunity and not a main weapon. I would say that the main argument against HLC is inability to take Barrage Rockets in a cannon configuration.

21 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

You don't need to SLAM to get APTs off

Especially not against ioned opponents 

This guy gets it. Ioned targets are easy to get into range one, and if you picked up the lock earlier for FCS you will have focus and lock for your APT. 

Edited by HolySorcerer

21 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

You don't need to SLAM to get APTs off

Especially not against ioned opponents 

Right which is why the ion + APT combo seems like the only gunboat build thats actually deadly someone else cant do better/cheaper. Plus they can reload it, which is one of my issues with APTs being 1 charge.

I was referring to trying to use HLC instead of Ion. You simply wont get enough shots with it so you'll be firing ordnance anyway but now lack the OS1 benefits of primarily firing ordnance (barrage or fire while disabled)

On 9/25/2018 at 6:26 AM, Odanan said:

One good thing about the 2nd edition is: they can add the cannon slot to the stock Gunboat any time. Let's campaign for this?

But everyone complained when I talked about b-wing superlasers on gunboats!

I like ion from a fluff perspective, but given the new mechanics it's nearly useless vs. most imperials right now :( Even with massed ion cannons you go entire games never actual ioning anything if you are against 3+ agi ships, and even 2+ agi ones often need multiple modded shots.

I think they correctly erred on the side of keeping control effects on the weaker side for 2.0, but right now unless we get into a 1 agi is common meta I just can't justify the opportunity cost of bringing ion.

2 hours ago, punkUser said:

I like ion from a fluff perspective, but given the new mechanics it's nearly useless vs. most imperials right now :( Even with massed ion cannons you go entire games never actual ioning anything if you are against 3+ agi ships, and even 2+ agi ones often need multiple modded shots.

I think they correctly erred on the side of keeping control effects on the weaker side for 2.0, but right now unless we get into a 1 agi is common meta I just can't justify the opportunity cost of bringing ion.

Though with the new ion mechanics, you also arnt losing anything over a 3 die primary unless you get an ion token. Mangler, if it returns, will probably be scum only and cost more.

I havnt had much chance to play gunboats yet, but would people say that SLAM fits a "boom and zoom" playstyle more than the traditional "turn and burn"?

Have you tried Saturation Salvo on Gunboat?

I'm planning to try this one next: 

(37) Rho Squadron Pilot
(0) Xg-1 Assault Configuration
(5) Ion Cannon
(6) Saturation Salvo
(3) Advanced SLAM
(3) Fire-Control System
(5) Cluster Missiles
Points 59

Total points: 59

Pricy but who cares.

Edited by Green Doo

9 minutes ago, Green Doo said:

Have you tried Saturation Salvo with Gunboat?

I'm planning to try this one next: 

(37) Rho Squadron Pilot
(0) Xg-1 Assault Configuration
(5) Ion Cannon
(6) Saturation Salvo
(3) Advanced SLAM
(3) Fire-Control System
(5) Cluster Missiles
Points 59

Total points: 59

Pricy but who cares.

If you are trying saturation salvo, why no barrage rockets?

1 hour ago, Rakaydos said:

Though with the new ion mechanics, you also arnt losing anything over a 3 die primary unless you get an ion token. Mangler, if it returns, will probably be scum only and cost more.

Yeah it sorta depends on what you mean by "not losing" though.

In 1.0 if I get 1 hit through I generally get a better result than if it had been a regular attack. I might lose a crit, but more often I do the regular 1 damage *AND* apply an ion token.

In 2.0 it's almost always worse... if I get 1 through it's "the same" except no crits. If I get 2 through I get a damage and ion token, but at least anecdotally I've found that in the vast majority of cases I would have preferred to have just done the additional damage when this happens. And if I get more hits than I need to ion them, they are just purely wasted. And remember, hitting for 0 or 1 is by far the most common cases.

The change to ion (blue straight, but can only focus) is probably ~net neutral when shooting at higher initiative stuff. You can't lock them in stress **** anymore and their focus mod makes it harder to re-ion them next turn again, but not being able to reposition after the ion maneuver can be a big deal too.

So yeah, ion can still be really good vs. certain ships, but I've found that the ships you really want to land ions on are almost impossible to actually ion. In particularly ions feel really useless vs. Empire right now.

If you're determined to run gunboats (and I get that, I love them too), Ion is probably one of the only usable ways, but even at 40 points with no Adv SLAM, they compare relatively poorly to even mid-tier jousters like x-wings right now.

2 minutes ago, Green Doo said:

I would need different configuration and lose ion cannon.

Yes, but wouldn't it be a better config overall? 49 pts, doesn't require TL and rockets contain enough charges to cover saturation salvo.

Edited by PT106