FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

1 minute ago, ficklegreendice said:

Might change my ion procket Boats to ion adv. Torps

Useful as the focus requirement is, that bullseye just never seems to line up 

You can set up the TL on a turn they're being ignored (as I found Vynder often was), have fcs to keep benefitting while you SLAM around, and then unleash **** when you can 

I've only got play time on TTS, but I like the APT more than prockets.  They're a bit cheaper, easier to line up, and synergize wellish with FCS.  Pick up the lock early, pepper them with ions until it sticks, then catch them at range one for some surprise APT lovin'.

Question now is the makeup of the rest of the squad

We got Vynder w/ion + apt + Aslam + fcs (58)

Could krennic Jonus + apt & barrage Rhymer + crackshot Sabacc (rhymes! Also he's the prototype target)

Could barrage Jonus + 2 barrage bomberz + Wampa 

Edited by ficklegreendice

As for what else to run with them. Since you need the locks to stick for FCS I'm eager to run this: 

TIE/D Defender - Colonel Vessery - 100
    •Colonel Vessery - Contemplative Commander (88)
        Juke (4)
        Advanced Sensors (8)

Alpha-class Star Wing - Nu Squadron Pilot - 49
    Nu Squadron Pilot - (35)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)
        Xg-1 Assault Configuration (0)
        Ion Cannon (5)

Alpha-class Star Wing - Nu Squadron Pilot - 49
    Nu Squadron Pilot - (35)
        Fire-Control System (3)
        Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)
        Xg-1 Assault Configuration (0)
        Ion Cannon (5)

Total: 198/200

We're at nearly 400 pages now, so it's probably a good time to start the second great gunboat campaign: RERELEASE GUNBOAT FOR THE 2.0 FORMAT!

I'm a little concerned that some ships will never make the transition from Extended to 2.0. While I could care less about some (K-Wing, Punisher) I don't want to see the gunboat (or the phantom, or the hwk for that matter) languishing and forgotten in the extended format. Rerelease the gunboat!

(Yes, I know it's early and they will rerelease all the movie/rebels ships first, but it's never too early to campaign for gunboats)

2 minutes ago, All Shields Forward said:

It has cards in the conversion kit. I can't imagine it wouldn't get rereleased because it wouldn't be at all fair to players that started in 2.0.

I strongly suspect that the majority of organised play will use the "second edition" format and not "extended" format. If that's true, then it's not unfair for them to not rerelease ships.

To be clear: I hope they rerelease all the ships, but I'm nervous about anything EU (and particularly about scum, my favourite faction) being trapped in Extended forever.

3 hours ago, gadwag said:

We're at nearly 400 pages now, so it's probably a good time to start the second great gunboat campaign: RERELEASE GUNBOAT FOR THE 2.0 FORMAT!

I'm a little concerned that some ships will never make the transition from Extended to 2.0. While I could care less about some (K-Wing, Punisher) I don't want to see the gunboat (or the phantom, or the hwk for that matter) languishing and forgotten in the extended format. Rerelease the gunboat!

(Yes, I know it's early and they will rerelease all the movie/rebels ships first, but it's never too early to campaign for gunboats)

Dude, don't worry about the Gunboat, it will be rereleased at some point, all of 1.0 will. If you have to campaign for something then instead try campaigning for the Missileboat or my personal wish the YT-2000. 

4 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Dude, don't worry about the Gunboat, it will be rereleased at some point, all of 1.0 will. If you have to campaign for something then instead try campaigning for the Missileboat or my personal wish the YT-2000. 

I hope you're right, but I want to start a noise to be sure.

As for campaigning for a new ship, I'm still waiting on the Skipray Blastboat. Make Brave and Heroic Decisions!

3 minutes ago, gadwag said:

I hope you're right, but I want to start a noise to be sure.

As for campaigning for a new ship, I'm still waiting on the Skipray Blastboat. Make Brave and Heroic Decisions!

Best of luck to you in getting the Skipray Blastboat, I'm still gonna holdout for this game to get the 3rd and final protagonist from the X-Wing series in the game. 

TIE Hunter!

I'm fine with gunboats being extended only (though it would be a little sad ?).  I am disappointed that it looks like we won't be getting any new EU ships (like TIE Hunter), at least not for a very long time.

Edited by Infinite_Maelstrom
Defender of the Empire

Update: according to a speech made by Alex at the NOVA open, extended will be the main organized play format. Bring on the gunboats! As celebration, here's a list of the arsenal Vynder loadouts I have lined up to try:

Lone wolf, fcs, protorps, advanced protorps, advanced slam, arsenal loadout
Saturation salvo, fcs, cluster missiles, homing missiles, advanced slam, arsenal loadout
Lone wolf, fcs, homing missiles, advanced protorps, advanced slam, arsenal loadout

I've previously flown him with lone wolf, homings and clusters, and he did alright but struggled to push more than one damage a turn (at that point he may as well be rocking an ion cannon). An ion cannon build is probably best tbh, but I want to try him with missiles flying out by the dozen. If I was going for ion cannon, I'd do:

Lone wolf, assault loadout, advanced protorps, ion cannon, advanced slam. FCS optional, probably not needed.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:20 PM, All Shields Forward said:

It has cards in the conversion kit. I can't imagine it wouldn't get rereleased because it wouldn't be at all fair to players that started in 2.0.

Agreed. My current prediction is that small ships will be released for Second Edition in the order in which they are organized in the conversion kits. For Imperials, that means:

TIE Fighter
TIE Advanced x1
TIE Advanced v1
TIE Interceptor
TIE Bomber
TIE Striker
TIE Defender
TIE Aggressor
TIE Phantom
Alpha-class Star Wing

Now, there will certainly be medium and large ships sprinkled throughout this release schedule, but FFG gave us no indication how those would fit in with the small ships, so I can't hazard a guess. Part of the reason I think this order makes sense is because the TIE Advanced v1 expansion would allow for the introduction of Dark Side Force upgrades, which have been alluded to in the rules, but haven't been released yet. This would also allow for Fifth Brother to be included as a pilot of the TIE Advanced v1, and maybe even Valen Rudor would make a return to the craft.

Unfortunately, this schedule puts the Star Wing (GUNBOAT!) way, way down the line - the last of the small ships. Oh, they'll get around to it eventually, but we need to be content with Vynder and Karsabi in the mean time.

Another clue that order in the kits will be the re-release order in Second Edition is the organization of the Scum Conversion Kit, which oddly has the Quadjumper very early in the lineup; right after the Fang Fighter, in fact. This also makes a lot of sense because it could conceivably release alongside Wave 2, allowing Scum players access to the Tech upgrades that will be released with the Resistance and First Order Conversion Kits.

I am currently loving this list:

Star Ghosts

(41) Major Vynder
(0) Xg-1 Assault Configuration
(6) Adv. Proton Torpedoes
(5) Ion Cannon
Points 52

(35) Nu Squadron Pilot
(5) Ion Cannon
Points 46

(35) Nu Squadron Pilot
(5) Ion Cannon
Points 46

(52) "Whisper"
(4) Juke
Points 56

Total points: 200

I feel like it could use like 25% more gunboat but Whispers not too bad herself.

7 hours ago, urbanyeti said:

Star Ghosts

(41) Major Vynder
(5) Ion Cannon
Points 52

(35) Nu Squadron Pilot
(5) Ion Cannon
Points 46

(35) Nu Squadron Pilot
(5) Ion Cannon
Points 46

(52) "Whisper"
(4) Juke
Points 56

I feel like it could use like 25% more gunboat but Whispers not too bad herself.

This is ****** ridiculous and I love it. 

Thats about the only thing ive noticed gunboats do well that nobody else really can.

Theyre the only GOOD platform for adv proton backups, since they can reload them and combo it with ions to set it up.

Lack of a 2nd cannon and hlc being gutted kinda stops me from using them in other situations. And that bugs me because i love these things.

In 1.0 I used my gunboats quite a bit. Mostly as HLC carriers but I just can't bring myself to use them in 2.0 yet. They just seem a bit rubbish.  If they had ion and blaster double tap I would use them.  Too bad about HLC, which is effectively a dead upgrade. They shouldn't have included it in 2.0

10 hours ago, urbanyeti said:

Star Ghosts

(41) Major Vynder
(5) Ion Cannon
Points 52

(35) Nu Squadron Pilot
(5) Ion Cannon
Points 46

(35) Nu Squadron Pilot
(5) Ion Cannon
Points 46

(52) "Whisper"
(4) Juke
Points 56

6818452789_ba6dd9a5eb.jpg

36 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Well it’s probably dead to the gunboat, but it’s a fine choice on pretty much everything else. 

The gunboat only has a choice of one cannon at the moment, but it is a good one. Hopefully we will get some more good options in wave two. 

You sound as if you fly other ships aside from the Gunboat?