Jump to content
FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

Recommended Posts

On 7/29/2018 at 9:01 PM, Odanan said:

You let this temple of Gunboat to go idle. I will not accept that.

Gunboat 2E costs where revealed 2 days ago. 2 days! And no theorycraft?

5_gunboats_by_odanan-dcinnb7.jpg

PS: she has System slot! (but no double cannon)

Yes, 5 GUNBOATS.  That’s the minimum number for true believers 

Edited by GrimmyV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kinda feel like theres no real point in the XG title anymore.

HLC is hard to aim with and you're denied its 4th die anyway if you are disabled. If they still had 2 cannons i would totally run ion/hlc. But now it feels like theyre now just another ordnance user since the cannon side was so heavily stripped down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vineheart01 said:

kinda feel like theres no real point in the XG title anymore.

HLC is hard to aim with and you're denied its 4th die anyway if you are disabled. If they still had 2 cannons i would totally run ion/hlc. But now it feels like theyre now just another ordnance user since the cannon side was so heavily stripped down.

Honestly I think it's more the other way around. Without LRS or GC the missile side is pretty lackluster compared to 1.0 The restriction on not spending your lock if you have weapons disabled is *huge* and would have been entirely a deal-breaker on missile gunboats if not for the ability to take FCS, which helps a bit.

While HLC is fairly niche/unusable on gunboats now, the cannon title itself was largely buffed. You can now shoot ions (and indeed any cannons) after SLAMming, which is really the whole point in gunboats in the first place. If the goal is just to be a munitions carrier, there are more efficient options especially now that the ability to take LRS is not really a thing.

Ion Nus obviously won't be dominant as arguably a 3 die ship with K turns/sloops/rolls and consistent mods is still better, and if you're using Adv SLAM to get a mod each turn, you're only turning 135 degrees anyways, which strikers can pull of in a more efficient fashion. That said, Ion Nus are relatively cheap and sturdy, so they have some intrinsic value there.

Edited by punkUser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vineheart01 said:

kinda feel like theres no real point in the XG title anymore.

HLC is hard to aim with and you're denied its 4th die anyway if you are disabled. If they still had 2 cannons i would totally run ion/hlc. But now it feels like theyre now just another ordnance user since the cannon side was so heavily stripped down.

How many wave 1 ships can take a cannon?  I'm sure we'll see more options with more wave releases.

The conversion kits let us play the old ships, but it doesn't mean that every ship can be fully kitted right out of the gate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With TIE swarms and other jousters finally feeling safe enough to come out of their hidey-holes, I believe any outstanding manueverability is going to be absolutely essential in 2.0

If you can take advantage of obstacle placement with your manueverability, you have have a chance against a swarm

Granted, only dodged around one with Deathrain so far (dude's SO fun now) but that's the theory. Hopefully ASLAM xg-1s can perform similarly, especially with ion making things difficult for ships trying to catch them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

With TIE swarms and other jousters finally feeling safe enough to come out of their hidey-holes, I believe any outstanding manueverability is going to be absolutely essential in 2.0

If you can take advantage of obstacle placement with your manueverability, you have have a chance against a swarm

Granted, only dodged around one with Deathrain so far (dude's SO fun now) but that's the theory. Hopefully ASLAM xg-1s can perform similarly, especially with ion making things difficult for ships trying to catch them 

ASLAM isnt wanted if you want to maximize arcdodging ability.

Nu Squadron Pilot (35)
Fire-Control System (3)
Afterburners (8)
Xg-1 Assault Configuration (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Nu Squadron Pilot (35)
Fire-Control System (3)
Afterburners (8)
Xg-1 Assault Configuration (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Nu Squadron Pilot (35)
Fire-Control System (3)
Afterburners (8)
Xg-1 Assault Configuration (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Nu Squadron Pilot (35)
Fire-Control System (3)
Afterburners (8)
Xg-1 Assault Configuration (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey does anyone else wanna see some love for unique pilots on the gunboat? People have mentioned karsabi but I never really saw vynder in 1.0 either. I hope that the re-release has some stuff for them to play with, perhaps in the form of an init-locked title.

By the way, has anyone else been trying to make lists with Jendon, thinking he would be nice on a gunboat? It would be really convenient and suuuper appropriate given the appearance of the ship, though I dunno if he's an established character that wouldn't suit a gunboat. Plus if it's too powerful, just give him one charge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Prosk_019 said:

I dunno if he's an established character that wouldn't suit a gunboat

He's an existing  (movie) character who's seen in the shuttle he flies in the game. The obvious 'missing' pilot is Maarek Stele, who's very much associated with the gunboat as they both come from the same origin point (the PC game Star Wars: TIE Fighter), where he flies the ship a lot of the time.

He'd be not bad in the gunboat provided he's not too expensive. Proton or Advanced Proton Torpedoes give you reliable criticals to use his ability on, and I5 is never a bad thing on a repositioning-heavy, target lock-hungry ship.

 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, Odanan said:

I did some tests and felt in love with this squad:

4x Nus with Proton Rockets and Afterburners (200 points)

Indeed. Afterburners are expensive, but the fact that SLAM and Adaptive Ailerons explicitly are not the same as boost allows for some truly ridiculous manoeuvring. As noted, actually getting enough mods to really use your secondary weapons well will be an issue, though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

WTF is this doing on page 6?  Are we going to let the Bombers and the Punishers get all of the love for Imperial ordnance carriers?

I say no.

**** yeah we are, because they deserve their time in the limelight damnit!!!!

 

...but yeah, next to them what can the boat do? The bomber just trounces it into efficiency, and the boat cant launch bombs

So what can it do? Shenanigans!!!

Still wedded to the xg-1 + ion cannon + procket + aSLAM idea, but no longer as spam (bombers spam better)

Instead, let's leverage that new system slot with collision detector!

Vynder + Cool Detector ? + Ion Cannon + prockets + ASLAM + Trickshot = 62 points

Rho = 58 

I 4 is a little rough, but I've found that THE biggest deciding factor in the 2nd Ed games I've played is how you manuever around obstacles

Slightly redundant with named Punishers (I've sent ablative Deathrain hurtling through rocks without a second thought, esp on kturns after his ability netted an action) but far more defensive and really bloody fast 

Now, hopefully Cool Detector ? interacts with ASLAM like I think it does. Hopefully it still lets you fully execute manuevers 

EDIT: looked it up. You still fully execute manuevers when you overlap obstacles, asteroids just force you to skip the perform action step. Cool Detector works! 

 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, so heres a thing

Apparently, overlapping obstacles doesn't result in a partially executed manuever like I had assumed

You fully execute a manuever as long as you don't bump into another ship

So...can we SLAM onto a rock and still ASLAM while on it? Or does the action step get skipped even though we're still technically in it?

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Hmm, so heres a thing

Apparently, overlapping obstacles doesn't result in a partially executed manuever like I had assumed

You fully execute a manuever as long as you don't bump into another ship

So...can we SLAM onto a rock and still ASLAM while on it? Or does the action step get skipped even though we're still technically in it?

If you use collision detector you can just completely ignore it.  Otherwise asteroids make you skip your Perform Action step, which you have already started, so it should just fizzle and let you ASLAM.

edit:  also

"A ship that is overlapping an obstacle can still perform actions granted
from other game effects"
Edited by HolySorcerer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like a heretic, but here it is: I finally bought my first Alpha-class Star Wing Expansion Pack! I figured since the components for three of them come in the Galactic Empire Conversion Kit, I might as well pick up at least one. Can't wait to put it on the table!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

If you use collision detector you can just completely ignore it.  Otherwise asteroids make you skip your Perform Action step, which you have already started, so it should just fizzle and let you ASLAM.

edit:  also

"A ship that is overlapping an obstacle can still perform actions granted
from other game effects"

Opens up questions of Ailerons too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ficklegreendice said:

Opens up questions of Ailerons too

Overlapping with ailerons will cause you to skip your action and suffer the other effects.  It isn't a boost action, so it cannot fail.  In fact, if you don't clear the rock, you get to suffer it's effects twice when you perform your regular move as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Overlapping with ailerons will cause you to skip your action and suffer the other effects.  It isn't a boost action, so it cannot fail.  In fact, if you don't clear the rock, you get to suffer it's effects twice when you perform your regular move as well.

Ow, poor Reaper :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unfortunately because they gutted cannons and removed a slot on the gunboat title i really dont see a reason to take gunboats other than the amazing model.

Its slightly cheaper than a Punisher and its abilities are just bad. The only advantage it has is the potential turn into slamturn for firing w/o a stress (long as you dont advslam). But thats such a minor boon....

Really annoyed we lost a cannon slot. And cannons suck in general now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Yes, but medium base. Chances of hitting the same obstacle twice are pretty low, I think.

Conversly, chances of hitting anything are significantly higher ?

Guess that's why they got really amazing abilities

1 minute ago, Vineheart01 said:

unfortunately because they gutted cannons and removed a slot on the gunboat title i really dont see a reason to take gunboats other than the amazing model.

Its slightly cheaper than a Punisher and its abilities are just bad. The only advantage it has is the potential turn into slamturn for firing w/o a stress (long as you dont advslam). But thats such a minor boon....

Really annoyed we lost a cannon slot. And cannons suck in general now.

Eh, the ion + procket Combo seems just dandy

You just gotta really leverage SLAM manueverability to justify the boat

That's something it does that no other ship can do, because Ks suck and can't fire while disabled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...