FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

so now that we know theres only 4 cannons, and 2 of them dont do any damage while one of them is bullseye bound, how many of you think the XG gunboat died a horrible death?

Unless they give it an innate cannon slot (which i doubt) it only has 1 cannon, so you cant even equip HLC and a "failsafe" cannon in case you missed the bullseye.

im gonna miss manglers something fierce...

Yup... I shed a tear a little while ago for my beloved HLC gunboats, which are no more.    No way I am ever going to put a HLC on a gunboat as they just don't have the repositioning to get somebody in arc. In addition to this the HLC is now pretty rubbish as range 1 = no shot, range 2 = OK, range 3 = they get an extra green...

Gunboats are looking pretty naff in 2.0 to be honest as I am not quite sure how I can run them.

39 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

so now that we know theres only 4 cannons, and 2 of them dont do any damage while one of them is bullseye bound, how many of you think the XG gunboat died a horrible death?

Unless they give it an innate cannon slot (which i doubt) it only has 1 cannon, so you cant even equip HLC and a "failsafe" cannon in case you missed the bullseye.

im gonna miss manglers something fierce...

Meh

Ion cannon with a procket in your pocket should do just dandy, no need for a backup hlc 

Can't procket off a SLAM, obviously, but getting a bullseye off a SLAM ain't easy

Bullseye off an ioned ship, though? Synergy 

Plus white reload for your one-charge procket if the game state ever calls for it 

Edited by ficklegreendice

7 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Meh

Ion cannon with a procket in your pocket should do just dandy, no need for a backup hlc 

Can't procket off a SLAM, obviously, but getting a bullseye off a SLAM ain't easy

Plus white reload for your one-charge procket if the game state ever calls for it 

Certainly worth trying out a few times. This will prob be my first 2ndE starwing build.

I missed my Gunboat last tournament and I think I may have found a solution to run it with the Reaper:

Maarek Stele (TIE Defender) (35)
A Score to Settle (0)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Lieutenant Karsabi (24)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (2)

Major Vermeil (26)
Adaptability (0)
Director Krennic (5)
ISB Slicer (2)
Lightweight Frame (2)
Advanced Ailerons (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

They all run at PS 7 to make maneuvering easier.

As of late I'm using opportunist on Vermeil. Throwing 5 dice with one free modification is good, using also Kallus on that ship allows for 2.. it can really hit like a ton of bricks.

Isb slicer removes pretty much everything and the stress that it gets can actually be helpful as it disables for one turn the advanced ailerons. 

Otherwise Tie Mk2 is also good since it will convert every bank to green and the reaper doesn't have the 1 banks as such. 

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, ficklegreendice said:

Meh

I would agree. The Ion Cannon is full arc and has more attack dice than the gunboat's primary popguns. The ability to fire it on a SLAM means that the XG-1 hasn't lost any teeth - yes, the flechette cannon did damage and stress whilst SLAM-ing, but ion tokens are a lot nicer. Besides which, it's the canonical alpha star wing weapon.

I think HLCs might still work well for hunting large ships - which have generally reduced their access to boost and with a large base are a lot easier to boresight. Plus, given the significant drop in coverage for the HLC, it's also likely to be a lot cheaper.

I for one welcome our new Ion Cannon overlords.  Stall the engines on yur target of choice and set them up for the big missile salvo the next round.  With Ioned ships being limited to the focus action, they're going to find it really difficult to get out of the way...

Thats what ive been debating.

If they still had 2 cannons, i'd take HLC in a heartbeat. HLC if i get bullseye, ion otherwise.

But all the HLC offers is a 4die attack that isnt charge-bound compared to the missiles/torps we could take.

The gunboat lost the Linked Battery and a cannon slot, but it got instead the system slot to equip Fire-control System for almost the same effect.
Yes, I know you need a lock on the target, but you need it anyway for OS-1 (and cannot spend it, so that overlaps Fire-control System requirement for the reroll).

Gunboats seem to be pretty great value in 2.0. Looking forward to put them into play.

I'll definitely start with the much discussed Ion Cannon / Proton Rockets combo.

After a first pass at deckbuilding with the new point costs, I'm pleased that my favourite "Ace + Gunboat Ace + Gunboat Generic" list seems pretty usable in 2.0:

Nu (35) + XG-1 (0) + Ion Cannon (5) + Proton Rockets (7) + Advanced Slam (3) = 50
Major Vynder (41) + XG-1 (0) + Ion Cannon (5) + Proton Rockets (7) + Advanced Slam (3) + Predator (2) = 58
Rexler Brath (84) + Juke (4) + Fire Control System (3) = 91
[199]

List has maneuverability/speed, control, burst damage and a late-game monster Ace. Should be fun :)

9 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Seems like you could slot Predator Duchess (44 points) into literally every list

3 ion, Aslam, prockets (we really need a nickname) Nus is 150, leaving 6 which is an easy upgrade into Vynder

Or 3 Rhos if low I spam becomes too much of a thing? 

You can put Conner Nets on Archer Duchess for a bit of extra fun.

My favorite 1e fun build was Colonel Jendon with two Nu Squadron OS-`1s.  Now, it looks like Jendon and the ST-321 title will be able to have even more fun with the Lambda's little cousins, and I look forward to trying out some new trickery!

2.0 gunboat FCS hype! Being able to put FCS on the gunboats definitely does something to address the issue I was whining about earlier in the thread, namely adv slam -> lock -> shoot unmodded munition is not particularly powerful (might as well just have a 3 die ship in the first place).

Got to try out a fun build today: Major Vynder w/ OS-1 Title, FCS, Adv SLAM, Homing Missiles, Adv Protons.

The idea is you SLAM into range 3, grab a lock with Adv SLAM and shoot the homing. Most folks will just take the 1 damage but if they elect to make you roll you at least have the FCS reroll (avg 2.47 hits, slightly above 3 dice with focus). Then since by definition you have the lock for the following turn you pull into range 1 (via SLAM if needed) and line up a 5 die focus/TL proton torp :)

It's definitely not as powerful as what push Vynder can do in 1.0, but it's a good amount of similar fun, and feels somewhat more wholesome. It's also not terribly expensive for what it is - 56 points total - due to the relatively inexpensive munitions. Can swap in regular Proton Torps instead of homing missiles if you want more punch against low agility, but in most cases if you have only the FCS reroll you're only expecting to do 1 damage to a lot of targets that turn anyways.

Ion Nu's are of course a lot of fun still too, and I don't think they really need FCS (I'd take adv SLAM first I think). Collision detector is sort of interesting on gunboats though as it gives you more options, but I'm not sure you want to pile that many points into them in general.

So yeah, basically the above Vynder (56pts) and Ion Nu's (40pts) optionally w/ Adv SLAM (43pts) are my two go-to 2.0 gunboats.

Edited by punkUser

1 hour ago, Hos said:

I can't get over how Vynder is only 6 more pts than Nu, wow

It's probably because he's only i4, but his ability is certainly pretty decent and worth the cost if you have the points. Karsabi's ability might as well be blank IMO... not sure why I'd ever spend the 2 points over a Rho for him, and until we see better talents I'm not sure why I'd even get a Rho over a Nu.