FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

On 6/10/2018 at 8:00 AM, Azrapse said:

In first edition, at least it made sense to equip one of your cheap, low PS ships with a jammer to land some tokens on some enemy ship to mess with their economy next round.

I think it might have made sense in that context if it was range 1-3. At range 1-2 and the same cost, I can't imagine why I would ever take it over tractor beam.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:00 AM, Azrapse said:

I don't understand at all the design of this weapon. Is is supposed to be equipped on your expensive, high initiative aces to benefit the other lower initiative squad mates? Why not just landing some damage instead?

I'm guessing it's a casualty of wanting to be super careful with control mechanics that aren't necessarily "fun", and then subsequently nerfing jam even further due to the jam action. I'm slightly surprised they reprinted it as-is in 2.0 when I have literally never seen it on the table in 1.0, but my guess is it just sorta fell through the cracks.

That said the biggest casualty of it being terrible is just that we can't SLAM and JAM (if you care about winning), but it's not the end of the world.

2 hours ago, Arma Quattro said:

Actually next time I might fit a couple of bombers in.

The lesson I learned by those Gamma Squadron Veterans with Assault Missiles still echoes in my head. 

Bruh. Forget gamma assaults.

Scimitar with ugr. 

18 pts, focus instead of lock to fire, infinite ammo, cant be sensor jammered or anything. Best points I've spent in an epic game (outside mangler cannon gunboats of course)

Edited by Dabirdisdaword

On 6/15/2018 at 7:48 PM, Dabirdisdaword said:

Bruh. Forget gamma assaults.  Scimitar with ugr.   18 pts, focus instead of lock to fire, infinite ammo, cant be sensor jammered or anything. Best points I've spent in an epic game (outside mangler cannon gunboats of course)

Can't be Sensor Jammered, no... but if they lose/use their Focus token before they get to fire (and at PS2 that's a distinct possibility), fuhgeddaboutit.  See:

latest?cb=20151224090348latest?cb=20150425041152latest?cb=20140425114834

...plus Jamming Beam,. Hotshot Co-Pilot, Old Teroch, Palob Godalhi and so forth, so on...

Edited by FTS Gecko

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Can't be Sensor Jammered, no... but if they lose/use their Focus token before they get to fire (and at PS2 that's a distinct possibility), fuhgeddaboutit.  See:

latest?cb=20151224090348latest?cb=20150425041152latest?cb=20140425114834

...plus Jamming Beam,. Hotshot Co-Pilot, Old Teroch, Palob Godalhi and so forth, so on...

Opspec.

If you have any without focus leave them for last and use misses to feed them focus. Sure a couple might have to sling a primary or two but those should miss then you're off and running again.

And it's not like a chunk ofthat list of effects doesn't hurt the needed target locks for assault missile gammas, plus black one, countermeasures etc.

The ugr scimitars are cheaper, and don't run out of ammo.   

Edited by Dabirdisdaword

On 6/13/2018 at 3:36 PM, GeneralBergfrühling said:

For 2.0 I demand Maarek Steele to be a Gunboat pilot !!! ?

I did not understand why FFG didnt make Maarek a Gunboat pilot at the first place.

I mean, that is like the Ghost without Hera. Or the Tie Advanced without Darth Vader.

2 hours ago, TheRealStarkiller said:

I did not understand why FFG didnt make Maarek a Gunboat pilot at the first place.

I mean, that is like the Ghost without Hera. Or the Tie Advanced without Darth Vader.

And they put him in the TIE Advanced (both in 1st and 2nd edition), a ship he never piloted in any game... ?

6 hours ago, Odanan said:

And they put him in the TIE Advanced (both in 1st and 2nd edition), a ship he never piloted in any game... ?

If WE get Maarek as THE Gunboat pilot he should be, I would be fine to pretend that this is the TIE Advanced he flew in TIE FIGHTER.

I mean he mastered any fighter craft die Empire has to offer in bis career, but  it is the Gunboat that made him famous as an ace.

So Yeah. Die Gunboat needs Maarek to be perfect

6 hours ago, TheRealStarkiller said:

If WE get Maarek as THE Gunboat pilot he should be, I would be fine to pretend that this is the TIE Advanced he flew in TIE FIGHTER.

I mean he mastered any fighter craft die Empire has to offer in bis career, but  it is the Gunboat that made him famous as an ace.

So Yeah. Die Gunboat needs Maarek to be perfect

GUNBOAT NEEDS MAAREK!

MAAREK NEEDS GUNBOAT!

GUNBOAT NEEDS MAAREK!

7 hours ago, GeneralBergfrühling said:

GUNBOAT NEEDS MAAREK!

MAAREK NEEDS GUNBOAT!

6 hours ago, TheRealStarkiller said:

GUNBOAT NEEDS MAAREK!

MAAREK NEEDS GUNBOAT!

GUNBOAT NEEDS MAAREK!

MAAREK NEEDS GUNBOAT!

GUNBOAT NEEDS MAAREK!

(although I doubt that chanting it here will affect anyone who doesn't already agree.)

Got a couple of Store Championships in the last two weeks and brought the Tie Reaper along with a Rhoboat and another ship I cannot remember now.
Found out that the Deadeye+GC combo works until reload becomes necessary, which takes the GUN out of business for AT LEAST two turns -- which are, imho, way too many.

Got myself another version, RSV+Lightning Reflexes+LRS+Harpoons and obviously the OS-2 title. 

That way, provided the lock remains, the GUN can unload salvo after salvo of missiles not to mention the fact that it becomes a threat from turn 1. 

Another version keeps Deadeye just to be able to fire the missile during the first joust without 'declaring' and avoiding possible Poe/countermeasure shenanigans.