Jump to content
FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Azrapse said:

Check Reload and SLAM.
No mention of getting a disarm token? No mention of SLAM not being allowed as a free action?

Looks like a quick play sheet, the real rules are probably in the other rulebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mcgreag said:

Looks like a quick play sheet, the real rules are probably in the other rulebook.

This.  The list is just a summary (note how it doesn't say what Cloak tokens do either).

As nice as it would be to be able to Reload without picking up a disarm token, I don't think that's going to be happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Azrapse said:

No mention of SLAM not being allowed as a free action?

I’m not sure that ‘free actions’ are thing in 2.0.  Any abilities that I’ve seen that allow for extra actions leave off the ‘free’ part.  The new advanced sensors, iirc, has you taking your action on dial reveal instead of the... uh, whatever phase.  

Usually any ‘stacked’ actions are going to be in the form of combined actions with the second one being red.  I doubt SLAM is going to be the red part of a combined action thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In first edition, at least it made sense to equip one of your cheap, low PS ships with a jammer to land some tokens on some enemy ship to mess with their economy next round.
But now? It's literally useless to equip it on low initiative ships. Any tokens that your jamming would remove were going to be removed at the end of the round nevertheless! That, if the enemy doesn't actually spend them to avoid the jamming attack to hit. In such case, you would be better with attacking with a primary weapon!

I don't understand at all the design of this weapon. Is is supposed to be equipped on your expensive, high initiative aces to benefit the other lower initiative squad mates? Why not just landing some damage instead?

Perhaps equip it on a squadron of generics where all of them have the same initiative? Does it remove reinforce tokens? 
I could see the gunboat preferring to attack with the 3 dice jamming beam instead of its 2 dice primary if that is going to allow all its mates to land more damage by removing first the reinforce token. But I am not sure if the jamming tokens remove reinforce tokens.
If they do, there is a use case for this weapon. Otherwise, I just don't see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Arma Quattro said:

Is it confirmed that jam tokens are removed at the end of the round? 

They are round tokens, and everything we’ve seen indicate round tokens being removed at the end of the...round.  All the tokens that stick to ships are real squares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GrimmyV said:

They are round tokens, and everything we’ve seen indicate round tokens being removed at the end of the...round.  All the tokens that stick to ships are real squares.

I thought it was the colour, not the shape that was important.  Red tokens (stress/ion) stick around, green tokens (focus/evade) are removed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I thought it was the colour, not the shape that was important.  Red tokens (stress/ion) stick around, green tokens (focus/evade) are removed?

Round tokens are so to remind that they are removed at the end of the round.
You can see it in the quick reference I posted above.

Edited by Azrapse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I thought it was the colour, not the shape that was important.  Red tokens (stress/ion) stick around, green tokens (focus/evade) are removed?

Jammers are orange like tractor and weapons disabled.  Red and blue tokens seem to stick around (and are all square) while green and orange seem to go away (and are all round) sounds like double redundancy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

R1 jam really tempered my hopes for the Reaper far more than temporary jam tokens :(

but yeah, jamming beam sucks. Then again, it would suck regardless unless it did damage 

Eh, if you could get a 4 die jamming attack on a target you could interfere with it for several rounds with a good hit.  The only way this thing is seeing any play at all is if the Imperials get upgrades that allow double taps with cannons or we get an upgrade that stops jam tokens from falling off.

As is though, Jam tokens seem to be fairly useless, whether delivered via beam or action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrimmyV said:

Jammers are orange like tractor and weapons disabled.  Red and blue tokens seem to stick around (and are all square) while green and orange seem to go away (and are all round) sounds like double redundancy.

They'd covered that in the initial release interviews - round tokens go away, other tokens stay.  So the shape determines if it stays or goes.  The color determines if it's good or bad - green/blue tokens are good, red/orange tokens are bad.

So there may be a bit of overlap, there, but the shape and the color has been standardized to mean different things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

As is though, Jam tokens seem to be fairly useless, whether delivered via beam or action.

Not necessarily true, as the jam action is an equaliser for lower initiative ships.  If you find yourself in close proximity to a high initiative ace, feed it a Jam token and it's options are limited when it activates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

Not necessarily true, as the jam action is an equaliser for lower initiative ships.  If you find yourself in close proximity to a high initiative ace, feed it a Jam token and it's options are limited when it activates.

It can spend its action repositioning instead then, as ships with stress or doing a reposition ability are essentially immune to jamming.  So congrats on spending an action and possibly gaining a stress to mildly inconvenience an ace.

Unless Imperials get some good jamming upgrades, then jamming as presented is pretty useless.  It's weird that they'd nerf the **** out of jam tokens, considering they were never even seen in first edition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

It can spend its action repositioning instead then, as ships with stress or doing a reposition ability are essentially immune to jamming.  So congrats on spending an action and possibly gaining a stress to mildly inconvenience an ace...

Bear in mind that modifiers of all kinds seem to be much rather in 2nd edition, so focus tokens will be much more important than they are now.  And naked dice rolls are unreliable dice rolls.

If my 44 point Striker can jam a 100+ point Dash before it activates, you'd better believe that's what it will be doing.

Jamming Beams, on the other hand... I'm not sure even Gunboats can make them work.

Edited by FTS Gecko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Bear in mind that modifiers of all kinds seem to be much rather in 2nd edition, so focus tokens will be much more important than they are now.  And naked dice rolls are unreliable dice rolls.

If my 44 point Striker can jam a 100+ point Dash before it activates, you'd better believe that's what it will be doing.

Jamming Beams, on the other hand... I'm not sure even Gunboats can make them work.

Then Dash just barrel rolls and uses his force using gunner for mods, completely ignoring your jam token.  I wish jam was good, but I'm just not seeing it with the upgrades we have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's an outside chance that the TIE/D has made it into the game. If that's the case I could certainly see the lowly Delta taking a 1/0 point Jamming beam over a Flechette or Tractor, but definitely not ion.

ISB Slicers give you the ability to jam 2 ships in close proximity for only 2 points more (probably 2 in 2.0 as well, due to decreased range). Fur such a cheap card, being able to really mess with jousting/munitions lists by actually being up an action is certainly worth it in a lot of scenarios. You could fit Soontir and a Defender all tricked out alongside a beefy Reaper in 2.0 most likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

Then Dash just barrel rolls and uses his force using gunner for mods, completely ignoring your jam token.  I wish jam was good, but I'm just not seeing it with the upgrades we have now.

Well...there’s still ion.  I guess.  Only focus allowed then.

 

Except it takes 3 FAQing ion tokens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

Then Dash just barrel rolls and uses his force using gunner for mods, completely ignoring your jam token.  I wish jam was good, but I'm just not seeing it with the upgrades we have now.

And then Dash takes 4 Damage from the other 156 points in the list. You can‘t afford that more than once. See for example the Krayt game where Dash gets wrecked by Strikers and a Doomshuttle.

Jam as an attack is worthless now.

But Jam as action is interesting - it‘s better than before because tokens are rarer and thus worth more, but it‘s also limited to R1 and taking the action without being sure wastes  it (again the theme of rewarding skill).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

Except it takes 3 FAQing ion tokens.

Ion weapons can now dish out more than 1 token each, while still doing damage. I'd be very afraid of 4 SLAMing Gunboats with Ion Cannons, since Dash is all but guaranteed to die early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cannon Gunboats still seem quite worthless. Munitions seem to be the way to go, though I wonder if they have now been recosted considering there are no more poons?

 

Also fingers crossed there will be something special for the gunboats when they are re-released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, william1134 said:

Cannon Gunboats still seem quite worthless. Munitions seem to be the way to go, though I wonder if they have now been recosted considering there are no more poons?

Pretty much all munitions are useable now.  Check out some of the 2nd edition preview games of X-Wings popping off Proton Torpedos.  No requirement to spend the lock is a nice boost for all types (although ideally you'll want Focus as well).

HLC has dropped to jank tier no doubt, but I still think combined arms will be useful on the FUNBOAT.  XG-1, Ion and a range 1-2 missile like Clusters or Prockets are going to be a lot of fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...