FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

The Empire has the monopoly on Force users.  Vader, Palpatine, the Grand Inquisitor, generic Inquisitors...

And who are we to question that? 

Let the Force Users stay where they belong! ?

****' rebel wannabees. (Ezra, Kanan, and so on)?

Mind trick is for boys. 

Force lightning is for men.?

2 hours ago, Arma Quattro said:

And who are we to question that? 

Let the Force Users stay where they belong! ?

****' rebel wannabees. (Ezra, Kanan, and so on)?

Mind trick is for boys. 

Force lightning is for men.?

With Vader crew's 1st Edition ability, I always pictured him hanging out of the doorway of the Shuttle, trying to Force choke pilots as they flew past!  :lol:

Edited by FTS Gecko

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

With Vader crew's 1st Edition ability, I always pictured him hanging out of the doorway of the Shuttle, trying to Force choke pilots as they flew past!  :lol:

Like you wouldn't do that with terrible real life drivers ??

From the Reddit AMA:

Can you talk about your vision for how the TIE Phantom will play on the table in 2.0 and why some of these changes were made?

MB: At three attack dice, the TIE Phantom is able to be cheaper, which expands the list building opportunities for it. We found in testing this made it an interesting addition to a lot of Imperial lists. With the Cloak action, it remains a unique piece for the Empire to use. By contrast, the VCX and YT-2400 are much more the cornerstones of the list they're involved in, because they have so much hull. Having four attack dice is necessary for them to function at their cost

If the Phantom is becoming cheaper, I wonder if it'll make a solid wingman for Gunboat lists?  Between SLAM and Cloak that would be some impressive maneuver options, and if the Phantom can still take crew it might be a useful support ship.

2 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

If the Phantom is becoming cheaper, I wonder if it'll make a solid wingman for Gunboat lists?  Between SLAM and Cloak that would be some impressive maneuver options, and if the Phantom can still take crew it might be a useful support ship.

with 1stE optimized prototype added in! that could be a blast. time to go list build......

4 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Hurrah for cheaper phantoms! Hope empire fields em like rebels field Xs

And I'm sure Whisper will be a fine ace for any list, but I'm not sure how they play with boats

Ion cannons make me want to stack more ion sources and/or big guns to take advantage of the ions

So more ion procket XG-1s 

Well, the way I see it is if you want a carrier for the Grand Inquistor, the Lambda will be a big, slow moving target, the Reaper a slightly smaller, slightly more agile target, and the Phantom could be a small, fast, hypermobile target...

...so many unknowns still!  We need to see the Imperial conversion kit.

On 6/7/2018 at 4:08 AM, FTS Gecko said:

Ion, then Procket!  :D

On 6/7/2018 at 6:06 AM, PanchoX1 said:

Now this sounds like fun!

Dammit Rho! That was my Secret Mission Objective!

But yea, Phantom crew support for gunboats has the potential to be very interesting.

5 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Imagine Vader doing that yelling: "CLOSER, CLOSER!"

Hey there everyone! Just wanted to drop by to say that I'll be making sure there's a nice representation of GUNBOAT at GenCon! My list will be my own spin on the infamous Rho, Rho, Rho your Boats list. Planning on using it as a way to say farewell to real GUNBOATS that actually use GUNS, since it seems in 2.0 they'll almost always take missiles.

Rho, Rho, Rho your Boats (96)

Rho Squadron Veteran (32) - Alpha-class Star Wing
Crack Shot (1), XG-1 Assault Configuration (1), Long-Range Scanners (0), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Flechette Cannon (2)

Crack Shot (1), XG-1 Assault Configuration (1), Long-Range Scanners (0), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Flechette Cannon (2)

I've tried it before with the ever-spicy Lieutenant Wasabi, but there's something particularly nice about Rho 1, Rho 2, and Rho 3 sweeping in from the edge of the board together and destroying those Rebel scum, just like in the old video games! Pew-pew!

Just now, PanchoX1 said:

Good luck!

Thanks! Unfortunately, the prizes are really nice this year so I'm expecting people to be flying a ton of really meta-powerful stuff. But it'll all still be worth it for that Vader participation prize and a chance to maybe meet some fellow forumites. 

Wondering whether I want to wait in line to pick up my stuff for GUNBOAT 2.0: the Miniatures Game

4 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

That's a rather beefy squadron you've got there @Kieransi.  The best of luck!

I foolishly turned my back on the GUNBOATS at the European Championships and was crushed by them for my sacrilege.  @Arma Quattro stayed loyal, though.

But we brought GUNs in Epic and your Rho squadron dealt way more damage than my Nu. ✌

They are still searching for all those Raider pieces. ?

1 hour ago, Arma Quattro said:

Sure the Defenders did their job... Nu Squadron. .. report to flight deck -_-'

Expertise Defenders with Tie/D are truly a force to be reckoned with. 

To be fair, the left side of the board was an almost total massacre.  The Nus and Rhos were squaring up against Gamma Vets and Rhos.  Loaded for bear with Assault Missiles and Harpoons.  It was one, big fireball.  :lol:

i3Qby2R.jpg

Only two Gunboats, one Bomber and the Defender survived!  :lol: