FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

2 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

have we seen if linked battery made it to 2ndE? I don't think it did. At least not yet.

No sign of Linked Batteries so far I'm afraid, and with the full contents of the Rebel Conversion Kit already revealed, it's unlikely we'll see them (at least not immeditately).

Upgrades that hand out modifiers are now incredibly limited and often much more situational.  See:

33986799_1428467990587844_77222605915779

Once reroll - defensive or offensive - per turn.

34045569_1428468197254490_70107569020280

Bullseye firing arc, now only changes a hit to a crit.

34045026_1428467910587852_55565718485204

Primary weapon, bullseye only, one attack dice only regardless of initiative.

34019889_1428451773922799_82413063413275

...'nuff said.

Modifiers - both offensive and defensive - are gong to be at a real premium in 2nd edition, making actions even more imprtant.  Fortunately, attack dice are still better than defense dice, so although 3-4 dice attacks will probably do less total damage, you can still force damage through.

34 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

have we seen if linked battery made it to 2ndE? I don't think it did. At least not yet.

12 minutes ago, william1134 said:

Haven't seen it yet Pancho but the full contents of the imperial set hasn't yet been revealed. 

I am not confident that it will make it into 2.0

I doubt it will do yet - simply because it's unlikely to be faction locked, and to the best of our knowledge all of the non-faction-locked cards are the same between the three conv kits.

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

On the plus side for Gunboats, at least there's this:

34050747_1428467790587864_70418290190246

Might be a good combo with cluster missiles to get more bang for your 'buck'. Of course the boats already have reload. 

2 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

Might be a good combo with cluster missiles to get more bang for your 'buck'. Of course the boats already have reload. 

Yeah, or Concussion Missiles, which have 3 charges IIRC.  If you can't mod your own dice, you can at least mod your opponents!

10 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Yup.  Co-ordinate actions, and whatever Imperial crew and officers we get in the Galactic Empire Conversion Kit!

Inquisitor crew to trigger red coordinate when an enemy activates at range 1-3, allowing you to snag TL after your low I pilot has moved

Edited by ficklegreendice

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Might still get bullseye only linked, but it didn't show up in rebel conversion contents so it's basically not happening right now 

Our best bet at full mods is probably our dear friend, the Lambda shuttle 

23 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Yup.  Co-ordinate actions, and whatever Imperial crew and officers we get in the Galactic Empire Conversion Kit!

17 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Inquisitor crew to trigger red coordinate when an enemy activates at range 1-3, allowing you to snag TL after your low I pilot has moved

So running Gunboats with a Lambda will finally be good? Awesome.

9 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:
  • Ion cannons spending the first hit as an ion token is good control but means they won't actually cause damage all that often.

It's actually the other way around. They do a damage first, then inflict ion tokens after that. From my 2.0 proxy games so far, vs. 2 and 3 dice targets they are quite similar to primaries in that they tend to do 0 or 1 damage and only rarely inflict an ion token at all. You can definitely go through entire games vs. imperials where they operate like they were just a 3 dice primary in practice.

Vs. lower agility targets you do tend to ion stuff of course. In most cases I'd prefer the damage but that's the nature of the beast :)

So yeah it's worth noting that ion cannons are generally slightly worse in 2.0 than in 1.0. In 1.0 as long as you sneak a single hit through you get a powerful effect (1 dmg + ion). In 2.0 most of the time you just get 1 dmg and occasionally you'll also get an ion (but on an attack where you normally would have done multiple damage). They're still good and I really like their new design, just keep it in mind when comparing to 1.0 :)

Yeah, ions are a bit hard to evaluate now between the weird way they assign tokens and the range bonuses (both r1 AND r3) being applied to cannons

Then also gotta weigh in how powerful it is that ion apparently disallows any action apart from focus.

But like in 1.0, I don't put much stock in upgrades that do 1 damage max (although it's infinetly better than 0 damage max) and work best when run in multiples due to its "all or nothing" nature.

So, I'm glad we have potential prockets as backup (and as a great follow-up to ionized opponents)

Makes me wonder if XG-1s will compete with Aggressors (ion turret with potential procket), though I personally prefer the more durable gunboat with its SLAM shenanigans. Aggressor being nigh-worthless at r3 also sours things a bit.

Edited by ficklegreendice

1 hour ago, PanchoX1 said:

The light colored box below the upgrade icon on the left of the card is the list of requirements, meaning you must already have reload to equip this card. This makes the gunboats one of a few ships that can use Saturation Salvo and rerolling green dice is pretty powerful, and the extra charges with clusters are very complementary :)

Side note: a black box to the right of the card text would show what icons are added by the card. eg: Debris Gambit

34033502_1428468257254484_35310769969876

Edited by nitrobenz
Added pic from SatSalvo

1 hour ago, impspy said:

So running Gunboats with a Lambda will finally be good? Awesome.

Sheev, the Inquisitor and Sloan:

TnmGmPz.png

I imagine there'll be a couple of useful generic crew options as well.  3 Gunboats and a Lambda, maybe?  Or Striker?

4 hours ago, nitrobenz said:

The light colored box below the upgrade icon on the left of the card is the list of requirements, meaning you must already have reload to equip this card. This makes the gunboats one of a few ships that can use Saturation Salvo and rerolling green dice is pretty powerful, and the extra charges with clusters are very complementary :)

Side note: a black box to the right of the card text would show what icons are added by the card. eg: Debris Gambit

34033502_1428468257254484_35310769969876

ah! I see. Thanks for the clarification.

1 minute ago, william1134 said:

I have three gunboats and the prospect of having to buy more (I know.. blasphemous) isn't great if the 2.0 gunboats come with the stuff we need to make them usable. 

by then, we should know the 'alternate' path mentioned for veteran players to get new cards with out new models.

50 minutes ago, william1134 said:

I have three gunboats and the prospect of having to buy more (I know.. blasphemous) isn't great if the 2.0 gunboats come with the stuff we need to make them usable. 

I think it's going be be a while before we see 2nd edition versions of the GUNBOAT.  I know FFG have said they want to re-release all existing ships in 2nd ASAP, but it'll be last in the queue I think.

But if it comes with folding wings like the Lambda, I'm there!  ? 

10 minutes ago, Arma Quattro said:

Ohhhhh zuckuss like for GUNs?

/rho squadron likes this ?  

It's an interesting use for charges.  Great with Clusters and Concussion Missiles, but very limited.

As Reload only recovers one charge, you're probably only going to be able to use the ability once or twice, tops.

Reading again the thread with the devs.. I seriously hope that those pesky rebel ships with 4-dice primaries get priced accordingly to avoid fitting in all kind of defensive/offensive buffering ships.

Would be rather annoying to have to deal with a Ghost, a lowhhrick that hands out evades for the fun of it and a jouster like Jess-I-Can't-Pilot-For-****-Pava. -_-