FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

2 hours ago, Azrapse said:

My gunboats and raider won this one on time. :D

That transport fell in one round of HLC shooting. The resistance bomber and U-wing were taken care of by the raider and Jonus.

There's something really satisfying about picking up all those turn one LRS Target Locks... :lol:

Full disclosure, we did make a bit of a boo boo - we didn't realise that Huge ships were unaffected by Condition cards.  There were a lot of very big Harpoon explosions on both sides of the table!

3 hours ago, Azrapse said:

My gunboats and raider won this one on time. :D

That transport fell in one round of HLC shooting. The resistance bomber and U-wing were taken care of by the raider and Jonus.

rebeloverview.jpg

gunboatcloseup.jpg

Rebel transports are great big flying targets that deserve no mercy. 

Good job. ?

Is there no worry about the mighty Gunboat and its use of cannons?

The Gunboat doesn't seem that it will enjoy running the HLC much considering it is much nerfed (you only want to shoot at R2) and with the bullseye you may not get many shots.

4 minutes ago, william1134 said:

The Gunboat doesn't seem that it will enjoy running the HLC much considering it is much nerfed (you only want to shoot at R2) and with the bullseye you may not get many shots.

Correct, although arc dodging through a barrel roll alone is going to be much more difficult since the ship is not moving that much back or forward. If the target ship can then link a boost well.. that'sa completely different matter. ?

Keep in mind one thing though, assault gunboats (may) carry other weapons too. ?

Not to mention that I am positive that the cost for the hlc is going to be reduced a lot.

17 minutes ago, william1134 said:

I am a bit worried because I don't really think the gunboat has the ability to get their target in the bullseye arc in a consistent way.
SLAM is very good for covering distance or perhaps for getting out of harm's way, but not for lining up targets.
It seems that Mangler is gone, and HLC is very hard to line up, so cannon gunboats will be throwing 2 dice more often than not.
Also, it seems like Linked Battery is no longer there either, so even if you manage to line up some HLC shots with SLAM, you will most like have no modifier, or 1 modifier if you also equip Advanced SLAM.
With no linked actions whatsoever on their bar, and Push the Limit and Expertise gone for good, I seriously doubt our dear gunboat will be as effective at dealing damage as it was in 1.0.

In 1.0, you could even out the off-time where the gunboat wasn't firing because it was turning around, with a lot of damage those rounds that you did have a shot.
Since we know that it has not got any segnor or koiogran maneuver to more easily go back to combat, I think cannon gunboats will divide their time between rounds where they don't shoot at all, and rounds where they throw two modified dice or 4 unmodified dice. :(

Edited by Azrapse

8 minutes ago, william1134 said:

Are there any good cannons out there now? Mangler seems to be gone. I haven't seen any new cannons that have been spoiled.

Will the Gunboat be missile/torp only now? 

Ion Cannons are now usable with the XG-1 title.  That's good enough for me!  :D

10 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Ion Cannons are now usable with the XG-1 title.  That's good enough for me!  :D

Meh, just seems that the Gunboats are going to be quite weak in terms of the firepower they can shoot out now.  

Feeling a bit gutted

7 minutes ago, william1134 said:

Meh, just seems that the Gunboats are going to be quite weak in terms of the firepower they can shoot out now.  

Feeling a bit gutted

Cannons have changed quite a bit, true.  But ordnance is looking pretty good.  No requirement to spend a lock means that Proton Torpedoes, Concussion Missiles and Cluster Missiles should all be pretty solid choices, and having multiple shots via charges will mean you need to freeload less often.

I wonder if combined arms builds might become popular - maybe Clusters for multi-shots and Ion for control.

11 minutes ago, william1134 said:

I prefer cannons on my gunboats, it just seems to fit quite well with the huge guns mounted on that ship. 

Fair enough - well, with the full contents of the Imperial and Scum conversion kits still to be revealed, we might still see something!

Team Epic was arguably the best time I had on last years Euro (although considering the shitshow the Swiss day was, that isn't saying much :P).

Sadly I couldn't prepare anything with the teammate, as I played with another spanish guy I just met there, but the weird mix of Scum large ships (including all my three Firesprays) and cannon M3A we got was good enough to destroy the couple ¿scandiavian? lads we played on the first game. On the second we faced two guys from Valencia that were extremely well prepared, with a mass-Bomber list supported by a Raider. With some decent dice we could have won, tho :P

Shame I can't find any picture of it :(

Edited by Kharnete

12 minutes ago, Kharnete said:

Team Epic was arguably the best time I had on last years Euro (although considering the shitshow the Swiss day was, that isn't saying much :P).

Sadly I couldn't prepare anything with the teammate, as I played with another spanish guy I just met there, but the weird mix of Scum large ships (including all my three Firesprays) and cannon M3A we got was good enough to destroy the couple ¿scandiavian? lads we played on the first game. On the second we faced two guys from Valencia that were extremely well prepared, with a mass-Bomber list supported by a Raider. With some decent dice we could have won, tho :P

I can't wait to get my hands on the new 2.0 firespray :D

26 minutes ago, Kharnete said:

Yeah, I played Team Epic last year as well, although it was a bit different as Epic ships weren't compulsory.  My teammate and I ended up fielding Fenn Rau, Old Teroch, a Mandalorian Mercenary, FIVE.  CARTEL.  MARAUDERS and all four IG-88s.  We played against a mixed Rebel list with the Han, a Ghost, K-Wing and ARCs, then against an Imperial super swarm with basically every Imperial TIE ace pilot.

It was a lot of fun, but having at least 3 points of Epic ships required is much better (and those C-ROCs flying in formation looked amazing).  Epic play needs epic ships!

It's a shame there weren't a few more people playing Team Epic on Sunday, it was a lot of fun and the prizes (acrylic Epic maneuver template the red shield tokens rom last year's System Open) were sweet!