FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

41 minutes ago, punkUser said:

To do Vynder semi-properly you need adv SLAM. The entire gimmick is being able to SLAM -> lock -> focus or SLAM -> lock -> reload as need be :) And you definitely want to be SLAMming nearly every turn, so it effectively just becomes a "free" action with advanced SLAM.

Yeah, triple action Vynder clearly sounds like crazy fun, but having flown PtL Rhos for a while I'm not convinced both Push and AdSLAM together are entirely necessary.  While it's definitely good to have the versatility, one or the other is usually enough.

Hmm.  More tinkering required, methinks.

3 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Yeah, triple action Vynder clearly sounds like crazy fun, but having flown PtL Rhos for a while I'm not convinced both Push and AdSLAM together are entirely necessary.  While it's definitely good to have the versatility, one or the other is usually enough.

Hmm.  More tinkering required, methinks.

Look being realistic none of this is an efficient use of points overall ;) Like I said, I'm sort of shocked how well Raclo Vynder has done but I attribute most of that to luck, people not knowing how Vynder works, and the Raclo part of the equation. It's all about the silly fun and honestly if you're bothering to pay for Vynder you really might as well go in for a pound :) You definitely want to be disarmed every turn with him whether via SLAM (common case) or reload or both. With 3 dice, palp and a focus he's actually somewhat tanky. With much less than that you might as well just take a Rho in the first place.

Anyways your call but I'd suggest just doing the fully silly build (even with Harpoons+APTs!) at least once for fun before 2.0. It's not good, but it's amusing and can sometimes catch people off guard. SLAMming into range 1 and throwing pretty much guaranteed 5 hits is worth it just for the shock on their faces ;)

15 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

Yes, and they get the Range 1 bonus as well.

That's too bad.  I always felt like being able to mix and match your cannons and turrets always hurt the sense of ship identity.

Ships should just have the guns that they have.  Unless you have a Title that switches them out.

12 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

That's too bad.  I always felt like being able to mix and match your cannons and turrets always hurt the sense of ship identity.  Ships should just have the guns that they have.  Unless you have a Title that switches them out.

Oh, come on @DarthEnderX - it's 2018, you need to start embracing diversity!  :lol:

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:31 AM, punkUser said:

To do Vynder semi-properly you need adv SLAM. The entire gimmick is being able to SLAM -> lock -> focus or SLAM -> lock -> reload as need be :) And you definitely want to be SLAMming nearly every turn, so it effectively just becomes a "free" action with advanced SLAM.

If you want the properly hilarious Vynder, you run with both Harpoons and APTs :) That makes folks think twice about boosting into range 1 and doubles the value of the reload action. But yeah, definitely into silly territory.

I love this.

8 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

OK, I'm so out of my Gunboat loop; stayed in sick bay I guess and have missed all the meetings. What's up with the 2.0 ships anyway? What's the scoop???

YU5m813cnl2f_L3av5a5GZgYtmeVSo8gJaCnIMlHGjCTxH9UZwoH7Po7PNdoAXuDzi2LSUAbHOalML2PtlziDszkkfLk6pkiLbL-9Rs-1E9YVTKn3Pi5bcVwhasiJGibn36Fh8oz  Bullseye arc only kQbzjWN339LptRhlxQeIwb5o9Oj6bN6ysIfthH4bA34B8Ak5GPspzkqiCCfS4vD8Py3Ph7IkkUpeXVHiskFFi8fd24rRPVCEuzn3ilbKc6nn5nTiuR0EGkHWM59CdTBXI5f0VM_1 3 tractor tokens to drag a large base around. Also, all cannons get range modifiers.

I5XweGNfcfE4ULefXi37kKfuQGcE6gfWOwiOH1wR_XmfJo09FMnPHanz4NVKA3anJ3s4inpQaNOjU9j9lh-QNZSSP-5YM_iINd3s0A4SaDbqtaxUrRmIHakj7ww_2DQ8bl9pPvQi ChENt3A-nY4VJk1GTSDxOku3dmXElK35uBDU7zopx5eQY_FA9wmQhcIOjmz0Uttzhph0biosTuFmxEMLErt56t8nasnP0g_mqYaO5enxoSVepBXNw-PKePHRt_e-9PQAxdcBun-R ExMNpzK0VkLoLn8pqjVLGm2380ONYQlUUio268PEsU3jAkdyIGAJzbhFtLv8S3q3koRdn7h-WD7YNgZC0bdTbY0ohEYLuHCeOZDaluma4JET52CKKrMC_CrUjk9bhwKfqSe-BFlQ Oy3SgnqJaTMknJ62Ng0ecpS9yVldkHnaVdVH7okb7qM_SzPSBh2nMda8yo75ZvGZvMBDEkBitt3o9SWVkV33pl-2NGqtNU4cfdf_2Q70xUMKNwIXhYlZ050Sb_JOwUAI-iQ9vI_a

Ship itself:

6vEqN7wfgCgfu-gUjLP8YIU1OY7zQ7V16ljXwqiO2s4ttiDFZDAzClJFUNUgREL8P_LZ-qaRRzTyIvOzKftM9sg2Wpscns2z2JdGzgBp3B1FpAMsYt7xq1RqHZLJgRPIsMOACREa    LkdWVJHWlarTXuIr0Wi4-amqTswpNUsVkS4z8jXyrpV9EIzN46nsQkDgksYGkY0ZSh-gspi_ziCI-pBCe3He4z-3wLRuu4PdfB3rDwEA26uGv3TOoHDsWf1_F-PFWSkM9fIoixQI

nE9ZDHN_M5mVqtUgWPgXQT6LB2NHFzYEPGp15XPGekOEDG95YfG-noUWPqxJt9C5UTwzXtUtM9eRKmpo2RRoZWnZFFLAJujG_qZ3ctQxAO-Tw8zod96MsEbLxlQ80f2dHES7mZ9J mbknPSjdZTM27y4N0rXNFOFYE8HU3m1XQGxc3yuqgAfzF9JcRzJNwRjvMyG-9QytWDonLveLzFltHqDek14JuOrMiZZaA7MUdv5zjpjX3DnezHU8n-WVHFdVOmh88bLrs-mSqKr8

Support ship crew:

FOUy1Ug5RZPOaozAuM_kW8XIcRiMZjg6OVAYx0iQPHqjlXoqhsGYAkcGf6prgrrR18mc1S8v3DOgLpZLjxm5tzM71b_-JXO5GhMrnYJjRJD8YPfpuOCKYXQiu2odHX4j2rD-C0N6 LFj5ebsw9h_96gKis0DaUV70PSb0LymtST8OzuTUjPBMWPcSm44lw6wSZGQ5kmX2k6HOP0EK35sDXp3rxW3YlZt7AJ3BvDe1LiFO9taqCOrkrL95keI7c89lvgRb_290T_jb8nJ2 CsllNjei8ckRF1b1SL-t9zaSzANxbDLUd08xZxG6xh8FKWfjJZzz7bhso7o-4Ec_292OeTHNlEN1BthL-8FJelWnNjW_vyZrf1UverkrJ6mtOPunBKQfOC4uRVbEDBNfSTkMSPJ7 lDD06o7o8pR4_2_chdv4mpMe-ytymx-gNk1Hxr1aZpK9rc4TQrAVPxDF4FskPsuYp9z4MIIr8Z88FRIZQvq51iJckDkPFKctMC5H8nHp5s0FZFfeADN3tuk5YkR1g0IX7qeh0mBH dffIDqSW6lD4nXySm7qbaz2xIpUybHJiyAr3KsDbN8SMc_HaTcAIdhPSz3CxxLQjXgt5UM4hbhVmdi5ImetdBP5ToW1Y20PAQjp-WdYwmksvqeFBg8s6MK0DyhcB01tRMAWWryFc

45 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

So anyone think 2.0 gunboat will gain a sensor slot? (Assuming those still exist?)

Unlikely., I'd think.  I'm not expecting too many changes from the 1st Edition FUNBOAT - considering they've only been out for 6 months I'd expect they were designed with 2nd Edition in mind.

However, judging from the change in wording on the XG-1 card, I get the feeling they might get a cannon slot as standard.

Curious about the optimized prototype. Does anyone know the timing of that? does that occur before defense dice are rolled or after? since is states while you perform, I'm inclined to say it triggers before defense dice are rolled.

23 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

Curious about the optimized prototype. Does anyone know the timing of that? does that occur before defense dice are rolled or after? since is states while you perform, I'm inclined to say it triggers before defense dice are rolled.

1E timing on Krennic and Crimson Leader "spend a die" options is during the "attacker modifies attack dice" step.  For the time being, I'd probably presume it stays the same timing window until given new information.

//

Anyhow, I have an important piece of advice for folks flying Wired/HLC/Linked Batteries Karsabi.  If you get something like hit/hit/eye/eye, use the Linked Batteries on one of the Eye results.  The reason is simple: Wired never rolls anything other than blanks, but Linked Batteries has a 50% chance of converting to a hit.

51 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

1E timing on Krennic and Crimson Leader "spend a die" options is during the "attacker modifies attack dice" step.  For the time being, I'd probably presume it stays the same timing window until given new information.

//

Anyhow, I have an important piece of advice for folks flying Wired/HLC/Linked Batteries Karsabi.  If you get something like hit/hit/eye/eye, use the Linked Batteries on one of the Eye results.  The reason is simple: Wired never rolls anything other than blanks, but Linked Batteries has a 50% chance of converting to a hit.

I don't see the point of this. Can't reroll a reroll, wired only rerolls 1 eye. Linked only rerolls 1 dice. If you have hit hit eye eye wired linked karsabi you re roll both eyesone from weird one from linked and take what you get from that. The order you roll the two changes nothing. 

Edit: oh I see it wired is one or more focus not 1. Still it's the same number of rerolls in the end because you can't re roll a reroll.

Edited by Dabirdisdaword

He's still a fake-focus mod if you focus fire, and he gives the ship carrying him Target lock. Isee him either on the phantom (unlocking FCS, which otherwise the phantom cannot take) or the lambada (which has a LRS title)

30 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Still miffed about the changes to Krennic in 2nd Edition.  :(

Yeah, not a fan of the target lock requirement overall. but He'll still be pretty fun I think. I really wish they would give us a Reaper street date. It will be fun going through all the 2ndE stuff in the box and seeing what else is in there. Can't wait for some Reaper, Krennic, gunboat action!

22 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

Yeah, not a fan of the target lock requirement overall. but He'll still be pretty fun I think. I really wish they would give us a Reaper street date. It will be fun going through all the 2ndE stuff in the box and seeing what else is in there. Can't wait for some Reaper, Krennic, gunboat action!

I'm just hoping I'll get a tournament in with the 1st Edition Reaper and Krennic before 2nd Edition hits!

2 hours ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

I don't see the point of this. Can't reroll a reroll, wired only rerolls 1 eye. Linked only rerolls 1 dice. If you have hit hit eye eye wired linked karsabi you re roll both eyesone from weird one from linked and take what you get from that. The order you roll the two changes nothing. 

Edit: oh I see it wired is one or more focus not 1. Still it's the same number of rerolls in the end because you can't re roll a reroll.

As @ficklegreendice will attest, green dice always roll blanks.  Likewise, Wired always rolls blanks.  It's literally impossible to roll a hit or an evade with Wired.  Any other reroll has a chance to roll hits or evades or whatever, but with Wired, it cannot happen.

Mostly, I'm just being silly.  My Wired luck is just abysmally bad.

26 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

As @ficklegreendice will attest, green dice always roll blanks.  Likewise, Wired always rolls blanks.  It's literally impossible to roll a hit or an evade with Wired.  Any other reroll has a chance to roll hits or evades or whatever, but with Wired, it cannot happen.

Mostly, I'm just being silly.  My Wired luck is just abysmally bad.

Green dice, on occasion, roll 5 evades against a 1-die HWK primary attack, just to balance out the variance. My bane has been weapons engineer M9-G8 - 80% of the time, hits become crits.

15 hours ago, Astech said:

Green dice, on occasion, roll 5 evades against a 1-die HWK primary attack, just to balance out the variance. My bane has been weapons engineer M9-G8 - 80% of the time, hits become crits.

I had great luck with my WE/M9 for a while.  Almost always rerolled them to blank/focus, with Fenn Rau handy nearby.  Except like 1 time in 20 when it adds a Crit against Poe and he can't roll enough evades, so it actually sticks.

5 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

So what you're saying is that Major Vynder's pilot ability is essentially worthless?

:(

Only if you're FGD.  For almost everyone else, it's worth 3/8ths of an Evade.