FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

10 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

I doubt we'll see Vader in a Defender, as awesome as that would be, but perhaps in an Avenger?

I very seriously doubt the appearance of the Avenger.  After the obligatory x1 we got another ‘advanced’ with The v1 as well as the Aggressor which is obviously a modified x1.  And then the Silencer came along and I’m afraid that will silence any hopes for the Avenger, even after being moved to anothe faction.

but then GUNBOAT has shown that anything in this world is possible despite all signs.

Edited by GrimmyV

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

Well, it is unless there's ways to force disarm tokens onto enemy ships... :unsure:

I think the 3 attack dice will be able to go around that, and might encourage people to build Gunboats how they're supposed to be (equipped for all encounters) enemy disarms your torpedo? Smack em with your ion cannons.

2 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

I wonder if there's an Advanced SLAM in 2.0?  If so, then AS + Reload means TWO weapons disabled tokens, and while that didn't matter before it does now.

That would be the only way I can think of off the top of my head to receive more than one Disarm token.  I've pulled that combo a couple of times in 1st £dition (with Push the Limit, not Advanced SLAM), but not too often.  It's not something that will really happen with the XG-1 title anyway, however the OS-1 title has the same wording:

fgeoOFq.png

Maybe there is another way to get Disarm tokens.  Hopefully not as a weapon effect, though.

3 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

That would be the only way I can think of off the top of my head to receive more than one Disarm token.  I've pulled that combo a couple of times in 1st £dition (with Push the Limit, not Advanced SLAM), but not too often.  It's not something that will really happen with the XG-1 title anyway, however the OS-1 title has the same wording:

Maybe there is another way to get Disarm tokens.  Hopefully not as a weapon effect, though.

Have you flown PTL + AS Vynder?  There's nothing quite as fun as following a wookie with SLAM+Reload+TL FIRE MISSILE! Turn after turn.

Better do it while you can.

1 hour ago, Boba Rick said:

Have you flown PTL + AS Vynder?  There's nothing quite as fun as following a wookie with SLAM+Reload+TL FIRE MISSILE! Turn after turn.

Better do it while you can.

I've not used triple action Vynder, but I've been having a lot of fun with OS-1 PtL Rhoboats.

Get to use them in one more major event, at least!

14 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

Oh you didn't issue orders to vader...

13 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I tried once, out of curiosity. The game won't issue the order and actively tells you off.

Huh.  I thought I recalled you could issue orders, and they even had a Vader-ish voice saying "Acknowledged" or something along that line.  Guess I'm probably thinking of Rebellion! 

PTL Vynder + RAClo just won me another tournament today... he's something like 10-0 in tourney games now over all of which I've only lost 1 ship. Obviously matchups and such are a factor, but I might be forced to upgrade the list to "not entirely terrible" at this point :P And yeah, you definitely get double disarm tokens on him a fair amount of time from SLAM -> Reload -> PTL lock.

Given that I don't care a ton about X-Wing 1.0 at this point, I might just fly it in the last few tourneys/system opens left. It's fun enough, competitive enough it seems, and doesn't break your brain too much. If you're a gunboat fan I recommend giving it a try at least in the last few months. Just remember: PS0 anything > Vynder and you'll be happy :P

Edited by punkUser

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

Bleh, are Turrets and Cannons still types of upgrades?

Yes, and they get the Range 1 bonus as well.

I'll be honest, I'm excited to run my Gunboats with ion cannons! It kinda bugs me, currently, that I can't run my Gunboats how I remember them from the X-Wing video games

5 hours ago, punkUser said:

PTL Vynder + RAClo just won me another tournament today... he's something like 10-0 in tourney games now over all of which I've only lost 1 ship. Obviously matchups and such are a factor, but I might be forced to upgrade the list to "not entirely terrible" at this point :P And yeah, you definitely get double disarm tokens on him a fair amount of time from SLAM -> Reload -> PTL lock.

I might have to give Vynder a try before The Second Editioning then, although I don't have a Decimator (or Kylo) so RAC is out.

OK, in the spirit of @punkUser's suggestion above, I've decided to give the following list a spin:

Vader - TIE/x1, Advanced Targeting Computer -30 points
Vessery - TIE/x7, A Score to Settle - 33 points
Vynder - OS-1 Arsenal Loadout, Push the Limit, Harpoon Missiles - 35 points

2 points left.  Either Juke/Intensity on Vader and Guidance Chips on Vynder, or Advanced SLAM on Vynder.  I really wanted to try and fit a Harpoon on Vader as well, but that's clearly not happening without wholesale changes.  Dammit, Triple V.  Why do I always have to try and give my lists a theme?  :lol:

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

The obvious answer is buy a 22 point Nuboat and put the points into Vader, he's a way more useful repository for them.

That does however defeat the point of "trying out Vynder", as was suggested above!  :lol:

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

OK, in the spirit of @punkUser's suggestion above, I've decided to give the following list a spin:

Vader - TIE/x1, Advanced Targeting Computer -30 points
Vessery - TIE/x7, A Score to Settle - 33 points
Vynder - OS-1 Arsenal Loadout, Push the Limit, Harpoon Missiles - 35 points

2 points left.  Either Juke/Intensity on Vader and Guidance Chips on Vynder, or Advanced SLAM on Vynder.  I really wanted to try and fit a Harpoon on Vader as well, but that's clearly not happening without wholesale changes.  Dammit, Triple V.  Why do I always have to try and give my lists a theme?  :lol:

To do Vynder semi-properly you need adv SLAM. The entire gimmick is being able to SLAM -> lock -> focus or SLAM -> lock -> reload as need be :) And you definitely want to be SLAMming nearly every turn, so it effectively just becomes a "free" action with advanced SLAM.

If you want the properly hilarious Vynder, you run with both Harpoons and APTs :) That makes folks think twice about boosting into range 1 and doubles the value of the reload action. But yeah, definitely into silly territory.