Jump to content
FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

More 2nd edition cards which may be useful for GUNBOAT pilots:

9MmKLP0.png

96LUXV1.png

swz01_a3_proton-torpedoes.png

swz_concussion-missiles_upgrade.png

We've seen the rules for Ion Torpedoes (on the T-65 X-Wing spread) - if this attack hits, spend one (hit) or (crit) result to cause the defender to suffer one (hit) daamge.  All remaining (hit) or (crit) results inflict Ion tokens instead of damage.

IIRC we've seen Cluster Missiles as well, but I can't find a screenshot of the card...

Cluster missiles are 'R1-2, 3 dice, attack TL, spend 1 charge.  You may repeat this attack as a bonus attack against another target, ignoring the TL requirement'.  It's not 100% clear to me whether that means spending another charge, btu I assume so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, judging from the Concussion/Proton reveals above and the description of the Cluster Missiles from @thespaceinvader, it looks like ordnance has changed quite a bit.  No need to spend your Target Lock to fire, but no built-in modifiers, but multiple shots available.  So no longer one-hit wonders even before Reload, and no longer as reliable for alpha striking targets.

I'm guessing given some of these changes that Extra Munitions and Guidance Chips will most likely no longer be a thing either.

Initial impressions... not sure what the best GUNBOAT loadout will be?  Proton Torpedos if the slot is available?  Cluster Missiles and Concussion Missiles only realyl help against formation fliers, although they do get more shots before needing to reload.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like concussion missiles cause the ship that could is hit to ‘expose’ one of its damage cards as well as other ships within range 0-1.

 

also please tell me Horton still gets rerolls on blanks, at least in arc.  And that he’s flying a GUNBOAT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alpha17 said:

Yeah, he flew wingman for Maarek Stele for a few missions during Admiral Zarrrin's coup attempt in the TIE Fighter game.  I would love to see Vader in a Defender, and Maarek in a Gunboat.

I'm pretty sure it was Maarek who flew wingman for Vader, not the other way around!  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I'm pretty sure it was Maarek who flew wingman for Vader, not the other way around!  :lol:

Well, since it's a video game, and the player's character was the one issuing orders....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

So, judging from the Concussion/Proton reveals above and the description of the Cluster Missiles from @thespaceinvader, it looks like ordnance has changed quite a bit.  No need to spend your Target Lock to fire, but no built-in modifiers, but multiple shots available.  So no longer one-hit wonders even before Reload, and no longer as reliable for alpha striking targets.

I'm guessing given some of these changes that Extra Munitions and Guidance Chips will most likely no longer be a thing either.

Initial impressions... not sure what the best GUNBOAT loadout will be?  Proton Torpedos if the slot is available?  Cluster Missiles and Concussion Missiles only realyl help against formation fliers, although they do get more shots before needing to reload.

Proton Torps and Ion Cannons of course, silly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HLC gunboats are dramatically nerfed. It's going to be really really hard to get a target in the bullseye arc consistently without boost or barrel roll.
I guess HLC should be much cheaper now. No way that thing costs 14 points in 2.0.
Does Mangler Cannon even exist? To me it always represented a fix for those ships that had 2 attack dice to have 3. It feels a bit like trying to override the ship's design, and so, I fear the devs might have removed it from 2.0.
In any case the assault configuration only gives one cannon slot now. So definitely no (Jamming/Tractoring)+(Mangler/HCL/Ion) unless gunboats come already with baked in cannon slot.

Also the missile boat. Now you cannot attack if you have 2 or more disarm tokens (SLAM+Reload?), and you cannot spend the target lock during the attack.
Were OS-1 missile boats all the rage in 1.0? I don't remember so. 
 

Do you think these nerfings were justified on a ship that was deprived of action economy even in 1.0?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Azrapse said:

Do you think these nerfings were justified on a ship that was deprived of action economy even in 1.0?

Not sure if all of these points are needs as much as simple rebalancing.  Sure, HLC got neutered - not just for Gunboats, but for pretty much all it's carriers.  But Ion Cannons are improved (range bonuses, stacking tokens and usability with XG-1) and ordnance now doesn't require you to spend a  Lock across the board and has multiple shots, meaning you should need to Reload less often.

I'm guessing a cannon slot will be available as standard with the Gunboat now.  It would be good to know if Linked Battery, Advanced SLAM and Guidance Chips are shill around, but knowing what we do so far, the smart money would say not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

considering the gunboat is somewhat competitive in the 1.0 meta it's not really a surprise that it might see a slight nerf or readjustment here and there.  Trying to make predictions with very limited knowledge of cost and even upgrade slots is perhaps a bit of a waste time of time though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Effenhoog said:

considering the gunboat is somewhat competitive in the 1.0 meta it's not really a surprise that it might see a slight nerf or readjustment here and there.  Trying to make predictions with very limited knowledge of cost and even upgrade slots is perhaps a bit of a waste time of time though.

It came out all of six months ago, so was probably designed with 2nd Edition very much in mind.  Certainly there were no changes to the stats or dial between editions (then again, there weren't any changes to the TIE Fighter's stats or dial either! :lol:).  We've seen the two configurations (which have been tweaked slightly), and some of the upgrades that are likely to be bolted on though so we can do a bit of limited theorycrafting over builds.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Yeah, it's great to see Ion Cannons are now effective with the XG-1 title.  Perfect to line a follow up ordnance shot!  ?

I missed the XG-1 title, what does it do now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Issuing orders to Vader would just show a 'craft not responding to orders' in the text line. Would have been cool to see some effects resembling a force choke tho. ?

Overall, I think that the Gunboats will approach into version 2.0 a bit needed on the attack output department. Obviously my previous statement regards the fact that I have seen pretty much nothing and haven't tried the new stuff. -_-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...