FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

24 minutes ago, Odanan said:

At least they got a baked cannon slot, apparently.

So much still to be revealed!  I'm wondering if Linked Battery and Advanced SLAM are both things of the past

16 minutes ago, Mward1984 said:

Edit: Well, Sloan maybe. No BR's or Boosts on the Gunboat.

Sloan's really good, but I think more for swarms (or at least lists with a 4+ ships).  There looks to be plenty of support ships and crew that can help out the FUNBOAT though, and the Shuttle, Decimator and Reaper will al be really solid in support.  I bet there's going to be some interesting ways to co-ordinate SLAMs...

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Agreed. A swarm of 'normal' TIE fighter can happily sacrifice one ship to hand predator to the rest.

And hoping you can fit in 4 or 5 TIEs with pilot abilities too.  Like Mauler, Scourge, Howlrunner and such.  Sloane on carrier of choice and 4 named TIEs is something I'd like to try :)

2 hours ago, piznit said:

And hoping you can fit in 4 or 5 TIEs with pilot abilities too.  Like Mauler, Scourge, Howlrunner and such.  Sloane on carrier of choice and 4 named TIEs is something I'd like to try :)

Howlrunner's ability is probably a waste with sloane on the field. Extra dice fighters like scourge and backstabber, though.

Just now, Rakaydos said:

Rdr3gF5.png

Not in the unboxing...

Thanks for the pic; I listened to it without the viewing option.

I guess I dreamed it up, but I have that fact that B-Wings basically had Linked Battery and I cannot rack my brain to recall the exact time that fact set into my brain. Thanks again.

...now, where's my tea?

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Howlrunner's ability is probably a waste with sloane on the field. Extra dice fighters like scourge and backstabber, though.

True I didn't think about overlapping similar abilites.  But since howl was the most expensive TIE, maybe can squeeze in that 5th fighter with an ability :)

12 minutes ago, piznit said:

True I didn't think about overlapping similar abilites.  But since howl was the most expensive TIE, maybe can squeeze in that 5th fighter with an ability :)

Would Howl and Sloane stack, do you think?  If not, I guess at least if the opponent shot down Howlrunner. Sloane would kick in...

15 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Would Howl and Sloane stack, do you think?  If not, I guess at least if the opponent shot down Howlrunner. Sloane would kick in...

Both allow you to reroll one dice, so it will work the similar to Linked battery/Wired Karsabi. Of course the likelihood that you need to reroll 2 dice is lower when you only have 2 dice in the first place.

4 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Did we ever see what the 2nd Edition Saturation Salvo does?  I seem to remember hearing it had changed to help ordnance users mod dice

We did. As far as I remember, it allowed you to spend extra charges to do something (remove evades?).

3 hours ago, piznit said:

Or the shuttle with sloan instead of howl...

5 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

Or the shuttle with sloan instead of howl...

Yes, I'm hoping for shuttle w/ Sloane accompanied by as many ties as possible.  If dropping Howl, maybe squeeze 2 lower ones in there :)

Edited by piznit

10 minutes ago, Deimos said:

Who else is crossing their fingers that the Gunboat gets Major Rhymer as a pilot with his 1.0 ability? Cause all range munitions with a white reload still sound like a good time to me. ?

Yeah, there's been a few Rebel pilots that have changed ships (or who are flying in multiple ships).  We know Karsabi returns, but Rhymer on a GUNBOAT would be amazing.  Obviously Maarek Stele is another much-wanted pilot (because reasons).

What other existing Imperial pilots would be great in a GUNBOAT?

11 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Vader would be amazing in almost any ship.  Starting with the TIE Defender!

Vader flew a defender for a bit IIRC?

Maarek Stele in Gunboat  OC.

Ryad in gunboat.  (not gonna happen)

Juno Eclipse (and starkiller)

Double Edge

Pure Sabbac

Dark Curse

RAC

Col. Vessery

Redline (not so useful in 2nd ed.)

+all others.   We need more Gunboat!

More 2nd edition cards which may be useful for GUNBOAT pilots:

9MmKLP0.png

96LUXV1.png

swz01_a3_proton-torpedoes.png

swz_concussion-missiles_upgrade.png

We've seen the rules for Ion Torpedoes (on the T-65 X-Wing spread) - if this attack hits, spend one (hit) or (crit) result to cause the defender to suffer one (hit) daamge.  All remaining (hit) or (crit) results inflict Ion tokens instead of damage.

IIRC we've seen Cluster Missiles as well, but I can't find a screenshot of the card...