FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

13 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

I'm very much suspecting that defenders are going the way of biophysical

Just two topheavy buggers

Hopefully got enough room for a basic generic grunt, but doubtful as they're as strong as igs now 

I'm hoping double defender pocket ace is a thing that works.

Ion cannon is also potentially more useful anyway since now it can assign multiple ions.
Same for tractorbeam. Im curious if Mangler isnt a thing or is just as crummy as HLC seems to be atm if the XG-1 Gunboats will be best as a utility ship rather than pure offense. Theyre quick, moderately durable, and cheap (assuming)

13 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

new ion is really hard to evaluate

nowhere near as strong thanks to giving you a range of maneuvers, but also much stronger because the opponent can only focus as an action

Did they ever confirm it was perform a blue maneuver?
I was pretty sure in the first 2.0 gameplay with the ywing that did a LOT of work *cough* they said "1fwd blue maneuver limited to focus action"

17 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

I was pretty sure in the first 2.0 gameplay with the ywing that did a LOT of work *cough* they said "1fwd blue maneuver limited to focus action"

IIRC the number of Ion tokens assigned = number of hits after the first as well, correct?  1 hit = 1 damage, 2nd hit = 1 ion token, 3rd hit = 2 ion tokens?

23 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

it was in the team cov game when he was discussing the Y

1 hour ago, Vineheart01 said:

This. One forward blue maneuver. Only action you can take is focus. 

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

IIRC the number of Ion tokens assigned = number of hits after the first as well, correct?  1 hit = 1 damage, 2nd hit = 1 ion token, 3rd hit = 2 ion tokens?

Yes, which is also an interesting change. It's not super common to get more than 1 hit against high agility stuff even on well-modded 3 dice so in practice it might be about as easy to ion the big bases with 0 agi as the small ones with 3. Tractor beams on the other hand only apply tractor tokens so it's actually somewhat easier to tractor something than ion it now.

Still, if you didn't slam you can get the 4 dice ion @ range 1 as well, so will certainly fly a bit differently than in 1.0. Should be fun to experiment with.

And yeah, karsabi seems pretty much useless in 2.0 (or extremely niche at least). He was already only slightly interesting with HLCs in 1.0, but now I don't really see a good place for him despite what the devs seemed to imply on the stream. Maybe they know something about other upgrades that we don't :)

Edited by punkUser

Looks like the Defender has the x7 title baked in, so I'm doubting we'll see the TIE/D title in any form.  Dang, that's one of the things I really liked about the Defender.  Plus side, I might be able to run two Defenders and an Ion cannon Gunboat, so not all is lost. 

7 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

Looks like the Defender has the x7 title baked in, so I'm doubting we'll see the TIE/D title in any form.  Dang, that's one of the things I really liked about the Defender.  Plus side, I might be able to run two Defenders and an Ion cannon Gunboat, so not all is lost. 

Given Veteran tail gunner and Veteran Turret gunner, maybe there's a generic mod that will let you shoot cannons. Could call it something like Linked Battery.

5 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

You can probably still run cannons/missiles on your defender

Just no double tapping. Not even cluster missiles do that anymore 

Which is the real shame, because it made weapons like tractor beam viable.  

So far the only doubletap that isnt a failed attack response or revenge shot is Corran, which of course gets disabled next round like usual so not much of a true "doubletapper" more of a "Attack now instead of next turn"

Not even cluster attacks the same target twice anymore, so outside revenge shots i'd be surprised to see any every-turn doubletaps return. 

Tractors can apply multiple tractor tokens now so having that stapled to a doubletap ship could be pretty fething mean.

5 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

Here's hoping the Gunboat gets the systems slot so we can run FCS.  Unmodded missiles are sad missiles.

Better in this edition though as no spending of the Lock.  It's only OS-1 shots that will likely be unmodded.

3 minutes ago, Odanan said:

They didn't gave the Gunboat a K-turn... :(

FUNBOAT pilots don't need no steenkin' k-turns.

I didn't really expect wholesale changes to the Gunboat to be honest. what with it only coming out six months ago it was clearly built with 2nd Edition in mind anyway.  It's the upgrades it could take that have changed quite a bit - the secondaries, mods and elite talents.

6 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

FUNBOAT pilots don't need no steenkin' k-turns.

I didn't really expect wholesale changes to the Gunboat to be honest. what with it only coming out six months ago it was clearly built with 2nd Edition in mind anyway.  It's the upgrades it could take that have changed quite a bit - the secondaries, mods and elite talents.

At least they got a baked cannon slot, apparently.

10 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Inquisitor lambda helping out some boats seems like it could be super legit

Maybe toss in Ciena or Sloan in there too? For extra shenanigans?

Edit: Well, Sloan maybe. No BR's or Boosts on the Gunboat.

Edited by Mward1984