FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

10 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

The base model has no linked actions. They could easily add some in the configuration cards. 

Hmm. You might be right.
Seeing how they have streamlined a lot of other multiple action abilities, it could be that they have rolled Advanced SLAM into the titles to add a couple of icons like 
SLAM > Focus
SLAM > Target Lock
SLAM > Reload
on the OS-1 title.

Edited by Azrapse

6 minutes ago, Azrapse said:

Hmm. You might be right.
Seeing how they have streamlined a lot of other multiple action abilities, it could be that they have rolled Advanced SLAM into the titles to add a couple of icons like 
SLAM > Focus
SLAM > Target Lock
SLAM > Reload
on the OS-1 title.

That sounds a lot like Advanced SLAM to me!  ;)

6 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Agree, they're all solid enough builds, but where they all struggle is mobility.  All three builds are essentially built to slow roll, with heavy hitting range 2-3 weapons, and a realy struggle to turn around effectively due to no k-turn and lack of action economy, they're going to rely a lot on their speed 1 maneuvers.

Indeed, it's hard to keep gunboats focused on the same target round after round, which is incidentally why I tend to prefer the HLC gunboat when I can afford the points as it's easier to consistently get *a* shot, even against higher PS stuff or stuff that can boost to range 1 (still have a 3 dice shot w/ double mods as linked works on primary too).

I typically run an HLC gunboat as a flanker which works pretty well. SLAM gives it pretty good range control to help ensure that you engage at the proper time with respect to your main force. It also gives you an out if they decide to turn in on the flanker. Either way it puts grouped up squads in a bit a tough situation: ignore the flanker and take a barrage of double-modded HLC shots as it slow rolls behind them, or turn in on it as it SLAMs away and you expose your flank to the main force instead.

PtL or Advanced SLAM builds with title play very differently, packing a surprising amount of speed and repositional ability into the FUNBOAT'S tough frame.  Slightly more expensive, sure, but they're easily on par with your 28 point Nu, at least.

Indeed they are definitely fun; I've flow quite a few varieties of them and recently flew decked out RAClo Vynder in a local tournament and did surprisingly well with it. That said, a lot of the power there is that people just aren't familiar with how they work and so they'll do dumb stuff like let you harpoon them 3 turns in a row with the same guy :P Against people who are more familiar with how gunboats work and/or have higher PS (or turrets) it's a lot tougher to get consistent shots.

So I agree with you that it's fun, but I wouldn't take it to anything super serious. Then again, nothing in 1.0 is super serious anymore so now's the time! :)

Edited by punkUser

Yeah gotta remember they have 2 completely different loadouts depending on the upgrade they took.
Since they cant just give us both on the pilot card, its bound to be a "title" like it currently is (or whatever slot they choose to use)

That will have our linked actions. Or atleast the OS-1 will, cannon variant might not since only linked action that makes sense for it is focus > lock

Then again, they could always give'm boost as a linked action....

10 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Yeah gotta remember they have 2 completely different loadouts depending on the upgrade they took.
Since they cant just give us both on the pilot card, its bound to be a "title" like it currently is (or whatever slot they choose to use)

That will have our linked actions. Or atleast the OS-1 will, cannon variant might not since only linked action that makes sense for it is focus > lock

Then again, they could always give'm boost as a linked action....

I'm betting that (if they're still a thing) the titles will be very similar to how they are now, giving the ability to fire a secondary with weapons disabled.  Advanced SLAM will probably offer linked action opportunities.

3 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Yeah but I'm bored and speculation is fun

You know what else is fun?  Making a three bank, following it up with a hard three SLAM, acquiring a target lock on an unsuspecting opponent and wiping it off the board turn two.

That's how Rho Squadron rolls, son...

8 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

You know what else is fun?  Making a three bank, following it up with a hard three SLAM, acquiring a target lock on an unsuspecting opponent and wiping it off the board turn two.

That's how Rho Squadron rolls, son...

ASLAM mod links SLAM to focus and/or TL (maybe Reload?)

OS-1 title adds some missile slots and is otherwise unchanged

zoom and boom

10 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

zoom and boom

The main thing I'm going to miss though is PtLing a Reload into a Target Lock to continue the destruction.  I guess charges will help out, though.

6 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

The main thing I'm going to miss though is PtLing a Reload into a Target Lock to continue the destruction.  I guess charges will help out, though.

I'll miss SLAM->Lock->Focus adv proton 5 hits slightly, but it's for the best :P

6 minutes ago, punkUser said:

I'll miss SLAM->Lock->Focus adv proton 5 hits slightly, but it's for the best :P

Advanced Proton Torpedoes were fun.  I had a good laugh using them on a K4 Dengar during the dark days, before the JM5K nerf.  Never tried them on the FUNBOAT, though.

40 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

OS-1 Title and XG-1 title both available, both work in a similar fashion but the XG-1 has been reworded to allow 3 attack dice cannon attacks.  ION CANNONS BAYBEE!

I'll have to check the VOD, but I think that it only restricted you to rolling 3-dice, so you could still go in with a HLC, you would just lose one die with a disabled token.

Edited by HolySorcerer

40 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Oh, we're watching Alex.  Don't you worry.  :lol:

Same stats, same dial, white Lock, Focus, SLAM and Reload actions.

OS-1 Title and XG-1 title both available, both work in a similar fashion but the XG-1 has been reworded to allow 3 attack dice cannon attacks.  ION CANNONS BAYBEE!

Ion cannons, but range 1 ion cannons only roll 3 dice not 4.

21 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

zoom and boom

That'd be nice for the K-Wing, too.  I hope they do it.

Anyhow, I don't really mind that the Gunboat was, frankly, one of the most boring changes in 2E yet.  XG-1 looks a little better, OS-1 looks a little worse, but in a fair way.

5 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

That'd be nice for the K-Wing, too.  I hope they do it.

Anyhow, I don't really mind that the Gunboat was, frankly, one of the most boring changes in 2E yet.  XG-1 looks a little better, OS-1 looks a little worse, but in a fair way.

Xg is a LOT better

No point limit on cannon, just a 3 die cap

It's pretty incredible if we get ASLAM 

51 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Oh, we're watching Alex.  Don't you worry.  :lol:

Same stats, same dial, white Lock, Focus, SLAM and Reload actions.

HLCs on SLAM, but you only get 3 dice.