FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

39 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

A lot depends on Reload.  And SLAM.  And whatever the Gunboat's configurations are.

Dammit, I'm getting nervous now.

might as well be nervous for every unspoiled thing

also every spoiled thing which might be usurped by any of the unspoiled things

...just be nervous

Well we know that the Gunboat has a white reload action.  We know that none of the revealed ordnance requires spending a token to fire.  We know that all revealed ordnance so far has two or more charges.  We know that a reload action restores one charge to one munition. 

This means that the Gunboat will have to reload less often and should always have at least one mod on its attacks.  We can also reload when only partially empty if we aren't going to have a shot that turn, further increasing our duty cycle on our ordnance.

Things are looking promising for the Gunboat.

5 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Gunboats are built on hope.

5 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

Wait, I thought Gunboats were built on destroying hope.  We are the Empire after all. 

GUNBOAT eats your hope for breakfast and craps Imperial victory before brunch.

also GUNBOAT is very regular.

3 hours ago, HolySorcerer said:

Well we know that the Gunboat has a white reload action.  We know that none of the revealed ordnance requires spending a token to fire.  We know that all revealed ordnance so far has two or more charges.  We know that a reload action restores one charge to one munition. 

This means that the Gunboat will have to reload less often and should always have at least one mod on its attacks.  We can also reload when only partially empty if we aren't going to have a shot that turn, further increasing our duty cycle on our ordnance.

Things are looking promising for the Gunboat.

But she deserves a K-Turn!

I am hoping that with 2.0 the GUNBOAT will be a more flexible ship, or at least have more options available while remaining competitive.

What I mean by this is if you are not running harpoons or HLC on them, then you are doing it wrong.

4 minutes ago, william1134 said:

Sorry what I meant is that most of the options that you could run are inferior to poons or HLC, so why would you.

Well, apparently Harpoons and HLC won't exist in 2nd Edition (or at least, not as they do now).  And we already know that Ion weapons and ordnance like Concussion Missiles, Proton Torpedoes and luster Missiles have changed quite a bit.

So yeah, our beloved FUNBOAT is going to play at least a little differently.  The question is, how differently!

1 hour ago, PanchoX1 said:

So what’s the best star wing load out for 30 points or less ?

What @thespaceinvader said.

The cheapest overall effective build is

Nu Squadron Pilot - Harpoon Missiles, Long Range Scanners - 22 points
Assuming you can retain target lock (Black One, Countermeasures, Expert Handling), it hits like a ton of bricks with fully modded shots once in range.  After that, it's either reliant on primaries or requires 2-3 turns of reloading and SLAMing before it can fire again, though.   3NuQD is a pretty popular and powerful build.

A little more expensive option would be the ManglerBoat

Nu Squadron Pilot - XG-1 Assault Configuration, Mangler Cannon, Linked Battery (or Flechette Cannon), Long Range Scanners - 25 points
Tough, hard hitting, sports natural modifiers and you can fit four to a list.  Flechette instead of Linked Batteries removes the built in mods, but allows it to shoot after a SLAM.

My own preferred build is

Rho Squadron Veteran - Push the Limit, OS-1 Arsenal Loadout, Harpoon Miissiles, Guidance Chips - 30 points
Still hits like a ton of bricks, but the ability to SLAM and still fire it's missiles makes it incredibly versatile with a huge threat range.  The added action economy helps when it comes to repositioning and reloading, oh, and it can reload and fire as well.  It's suitable for triple Imperial Aces builds, as the third ship alongside andy two of Vader, Quickdraw, Vessery, the Inquisitor etc.

At that point level, you can also get

Rho Squadron Veteran - Crackshot, XG-1 Assault Configuration, Heavy Laser Cannon, Long Range Scanners - 30 points
Which also hits like a ton of bricks and doesn't worry so much about Black One or Countermeasures, but is unable to fire following a SLAM which makes it much less nimble.

Edited by FTS Gecko

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

What @thespaceinvader said.

The cheapest overall effective build is

Nu Squadron Pilot - Harpoon Missiles, Long Range Scanners - 22 points
Assuming you can retain target lock (Black One, Countermeasures, Expert Handling), it hits like a ton of bricks with fully modded shots once in range.  After that, it's either reliant on primaries or requires 2-3 turns of reloading and SLAMing before it can fire again, though.   3NuQD is a pretty popular and powerful build.

A little more expensive option would be the ManglerBoat

Nu Squadron Pilot - XG-1 Assault Configuration, Mangler Cannon, Linked Battery (or Flechette Cannon), Long Range Scanners - 25 points
Tough, hard hitting, sports natural modifiers and you can fit four to a list.  Flechette instead of Linked Batteries removes the built in mods, but allows it to shoot after a SLAM.

My own preferred build is

Rho Squadron Veteran - Push the Limit, OS-1 Arsenal Loadout, Harpoon Miissiles, Guidance Chips - 30 points
Still hits like a ton of bricks, but the ability to SLAM and still fire it's missiles makes it incredibly versatile with a huge threat range.  The added action economy helps when it comes to repositioning and reloading, oh, and it can reload and fire as well.  It's suitable for triple Imperial Aces builds, as the third ship alongside andy two of Vader, Quickdraw, Vessery, the Inquisitor etc.

At that point level, you can also get

Rho Squadron Veteran - Crackshot, XG-1 Assault Configuration, Heavy Laser Cannon, Long Range Scanners - 30 points
Which also hits like a ton of bricks and doesn't worry so much about Black One or Countermeasures, but is unable to fire following a SLAM which makes it much less nimble.

thanks for the detailed list! I like the idea of cannon boats but haven't had much luck with them. I'll have to give them another try.

There's really 3 good competitive gunboat options in my opinion:

1) @22 points: Nu with Harpoons, LRS
2) @26 points: Rho with Deadeye, Harpoons, chips
3) @28 points: Nu with XG1, HLC, linked, LRS

These roughly increase in power level and resilience to various counters (especially black one, countermeasures and hotshot).

There's various "fun" builds that generally involve PTL+Adv SLAM+title+some munition, but I wouldn't call them particularly competitive despite the fact that I do run them occasionally in somewhat more casual tournaments.

The above 3 are all solid options. I'm particularly fond of #3 as it just dishes consistent damage out without too many required conditions, but it obviously costs somewhat more than the other options.

12 hours ago, punkUser said:

There's really 3 good competitive gunboat options in my opinion:

1) @22 points: Nu with Harpoons, LRS
2) @26 points: Rho with Deadeye, Harpoons, chips
3) @28 points: Nu with XG1, HLC, linked, LRS

These roughly increase in power level and resilience to various counters (especially black one, countermeasures and hotshot).

There's various "fun" builds that generally involve PTL+Adv SLAM+title+some munition, but I wouldn't call them particularly competitive despite the fact that I do run them occasionally in somewhat more casual tournaments.

The above 3 are all solid options. I'm particularly fond of #3 as it just dishes consistent damage out without too many required conditions, but it obviously costs somewhat more than the other options.

Agree, they're all solid enough builds, but where they all struggle is mobility.  All three builds are essentially built to slow roll, with heavy hitting range 2-3 weapons, and a realy struggle to turn around effectively due to no k-turn and lack of action economy, they're going to rely a lot on their speed 1 maneuvers.

PtL or Advanced SLAM builds with title play very differently, packing a surprising amount of speed and repositional ability into the FUNBOAT'S tough frame.  Slightly more expensive, sure, but they're easily on par with your 28 point Nu, at least.