FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

33 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Comes with both Rebel and Scum pilots.

Dial: similar with the A-wing (maybe with some of the newer maneuvers)

Alternative: 3 hull, 1 shield. <--  I think this would be better.

No astromech droids.

That's pretty fair but what makes the PS2 generic worth 17 points? Would it have A-Wing greens, or E-Wing/Bomber greens but maybe the first 1-TRoll? Also I think you're better sticking to 2H/2S since 3/1 would give it access to Pulsed Ray Shields.

I like the T-Wing from a lore/XvT perspective, it's a crappy A-Wing that isn't exclusively a Rebel Alliance fighter, but I don't know what it brings to the minis game is all.

Edited by Tsiegtiez
PS1 -> PS2 because reading is fundamental

14 minutes ago, Tsiegtiez said:

That's pretty fair but what makes the PS2 generic worth 17 points? Would it have A-Wing greens, or E-Wing/Bomber greens but maybe the first 1-TRoll? Also I think you're better sticking to 2H/2S since 3/1 would give it access to Pulsed Ray Shields.

I like the T-Wing from a lore/XvT perspective, it's a crappy A-Wing that isn't exclusively a Rebel Alliance fighter, but I don't know what it brings to the minis game is all.

I always envisioned the T-Wing being something of a crafty barrel-roller (looking at its design aesthetic). It should get a non-unique title that gives it access to a 2-distance barrel roll, plus the ability to barrel-roll over other ships/obstacles (as long as its ending position is free of obstruction).

2 minutes ago, Ziusdra said:

I always envisioned the T-Wing being something of a crafty barrel-roller (looking at its design aesthetic). It should get a non-unique title that gives it access to a 2-distance barrel roll, plus the ability to barrel-roll over other ships/obstacles (as long as its ending position is free of obstruction).

That's pretty great. Although you can already BR through other ships so long as the ship bases don't wind up overlapping; the template can go through a base corner, for example. And it isn't like anyone's going to miss Zeta Ace.

New mechanic, reinforcement waves:

"At least they are cheap"

Non unique only, T-wing only. Title. 

After going out of play, flip back up all your discarded upgrades, recover all your shields and discard all damage cards. At the end of the End phase, deploy your ship again within range 1 of your edge. Then place a tracking token on this card. If this card has at least 2 tracking tokens, at the end of the game you count as destroyed. 

Cost: 10

48 minutes ago, Tsiegtiez said:

That's pretty great. Although you can already BR through other ships so long as the ship bases don't wind up overlapping; the template can go through a base corner, for example. And it isn't like anyone's going to miss Zeta Ace.

True, Zeta Ace (and all TIE Fighters & FO TIEs for that matter) isn't in high demand right now. Anyway, the BR thing isn't much more than a gimmick. Like the U-Wing, it isn't exactly game-changing or making us re-think our lists.

Maybe the T-Wing's dial should reflect this idea of a crafty BR mechanic. Instead of a title that almost copies Zeta, we could have red maneuvers that are effectively 1-speed and 2-speed barrel rolls. To keep people from going backwards, the explanation card could stipulate that the maneuver template must be placed against the topmost edge of the side of the ship's base. Because it's a red maneuver, it ought to keep people from simply barrel-rolling across the board into a horizontal game, but as far as balance goes it does the same thing as a 0-speed maneuver, allowing you to hang back and keep firing straight ahead (ish), or better yet, to give you great options for blocking your opponent in jousting situations.

The trouble is, jousting is sooo Wave 3, and this gimmick is already eight waves out of usefulness. If nobody is flying Echo and Whisper these days (let alone their generic counterparts), this ability already makes the T-Wing kind of meh. (Who wants a Rebel ship that blocks and fires 2 attack dice? It doesn't seem to be in big demand and the cheaper you make it, the worse off you make A-Wings and Z-95s)

Maybe, instead, this ship could be the Rebel version of the TIE Striker? A required (and free) BR before you reveal your maneuver?

2 hours ago, Odanan said:

x_wing_miniatures___t_wing_by_odanan-dbm

Comes with both Rebel and Scum pilots.

Dial: similar with the A-wing (maybe with some of the newer maneuvers)

Alternative: 3 hull, 1 shield. <--  I think this would be better.

No astromech droids.

That is the prettiest T-wing I have ever seen.  I would give it double torps tho since it was said to have a higher capacity than the X-wing.  BR definitely, maybe no boost, but T-rolls on the dial are a must.  Evade?  I still don't know.  Probably not.  

Oh, and GUNBOAT!  Please Santa, will you bring me GUNBOATS for X-wing-mas?  I only need 5 (initially), please?

3 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

Oh, and GUNBOAT!  Please Santa, will you bring me GUNBOATS for X-wing-mas?  I only need 5 (initially), please?

Grimmy, I'm pretty sure you'll need 12 for epic, plus a few more for ones you want to custom paint! :P

13 minutes ago, Kharnete said:

Sooo.... who is going to cut the back of the wings to transform the TIE Silencer into a TIE Avenger? 

Besides myself, I mean.

Not just you. The dark colour scheme should make a repaint job fairly simple as well.

I'll look forward to seeing some beautiful Avenger alt art cards! :)

Edited by FTS Gecko

Either I'll paint mine Imperial grey to match the rest of the fleet and call them TIE Avengers, or just use Mel's proxy Avenger whenever I field a Silencer.

Curiously, the Silencer's wings aren't white like the rest of the First Order.

I do wonder if somewhere, in some small corner of the lore, it's mentioned the Silencer was developed out of the short-lived production run of the TIE Avenger.

latest?cb=20080629042250

Oh and since our persistence paid off so well, I propose a new purpose for our thread: GUNSHIP!

GUNSHIP GUNSHIP GUNSHIP!

never give up, never surrender!

the next two rebel huges must be this and the Hammerhead.  If not, well, I guess I'll have to eat a GUNBOAT.

Edited by GrimmyV

Nah, we'll buzz in this thread for a while and then use it when Gunboats are released to describe all the awesome things it does now on the table, gushing about how our dreams came true.

....or, we'll be bringing out the pitchforks and torches as to why the Gunboat has one critical flaw to make it un-gunboaty. If so, I'll be roping in my complaints about the Proton Rockets, which do not do what they did in the games (Pairs of these blew up Corellian Corvettes, they didn't get some boost based on how fast you were).

Unfortunately ordnance in XWM doesn't work at all like in our beloved space sims.  I guess you can make the case that Concussion missiles are more accurate than Proton Torpedoes (which are more damaging) because of the blank to hit instead of eyeball to crit.  But Proton rockets =/= heavy rockets as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, Kharnete said:

Sooo.... who is going to cut the back of the wings to transform the TIE Silencer into a TIE Avenger? 

Besides myself, I mean.

I want to but...I'll be honest, I've grown attached to Fractalsponge's version of the Avenger.  Not really a fan of the oblong cockpit on the Silencer and the original game model.

Also, I don't wanna repaint nuthin'

1 hour ago, Norsehound said:

Not that curious.

Likely Ren's is the only one in the movie, and he's the lame edgelord that has to have an all-black ship.

Likely the First Order has other Silencers, and they're probably painted normal FO colors.  But they probably aren't in the movie so that's not what our default model is going to be.

Edited by DarthEnderX

1 hour ago, Norsehound said:

Either I'll paint mine Imperial grey to match the rest of the fleet and call them TIE Avengers, or just use Mel's proxy Avenger whenever I field a Silencer.

I do wonder if somewhere, in some small corner of the lore, it's mentioned the Silencer was developed out of the short-lived production run of the TIE Avenger.

This TIE Silencer miniature is way too big. :(

And the Resistance Bomber is too small.

Wave XIII sucks.

50 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

latest?cb=20080629042250

Oh and since our persistence paid off so well, I propose a new purpose for our thread: GUNSHIP!

GUNSHIP GUNSHIP GUNSHIP!

never give up, never surrender!

the next two rebel huges must be this and the Hammerhead.  If not, well, I guess I'll have to eat a GUNBOAT.

Dornean Gunship! Now that's an obscure canon ship.

But it's.. Rebel...