FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

11 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Maybe means the Imperial Patrol Transport?

Police_gunships_Lothal.png

10 hours ago, Sciencius said:

Yes!! and please let it have a white stop manouver, red 2-slops, system slot, tech slot, and focus, target lock, barrel roll, and reload action :-D 

Would be fun to have those guys parked and firing volleys, while the Gunboat slams around corraling the herd infront of these bad boys. 

I very, very badly want these things! Which sounds kind of wrong, given that they fall under the category of "Rebels stuff that only shows up in one episode", but keep in mind, a Rebels episode is 22 minutes, which is about 300 times as long as the Quadjumper shows up on screen!

DX-9s are going to be a harder sell, because they're essentially utility boats. Nevermind that they did nearly anything and everything in the flight sims. (Let's count, Ordnance Reloads, Boarding Teams, Repair Teams, Rocket Attack Boats, Minelayers, VIP Transports, desperate pirate attack ships... the list goes on).

I doubt we'll see another non-TIE for a while. Hints are that the First Order has a lot of stuff backed up (TIE Silencer at least, possibly a new TIE Bomber), not to mention any new Imperial TIE variants that will fall out of the Han Solo movie.

If I were to bet, the next one might be the Skipray as something just as popular as the Gunboat... if not moreso (which surprises even me to think about now, that the Gunboat came first). In every other Legends place the Skipray has been everywhere and anywhere, leaving the poor Gunboat left to collect dust only in the sims.

In fact, it's kind of remarkable that the XG-1 triumphs over the Skipray in this instance, since the XG is forgotten nearly everywhere else.

5 hours ago, Eskandare said:

That is true, as much as I like 'love' all of Fractal's work, losing the neck does make it look strange. If you look carefully, the canon version has the neck. I have to admit even craft that didn't quite seem imperial gets a good Imperial makeover in his renderings. 

CKDuXoG.png 

Hey guys n' gals. I just stopped by to approve of all these recent non-Gunboat posts - yes the DX-9 is an awesome ship too. :) I hope they can release it so that we can implement it in our campaigns etc!

2 hours ago, Norsehound said:

DX-9s are going to be a harder sell, because they're essentially utility boats. Nevermind that they did nearly anything and everything in the flight sims. (Let's count, Ordnance Reloads, Boarding Teams, Repair Teams, Rocket Attack Boats, Minelayers, VIP Transports, desperate pirate attack ships... the list goes on).

I doubt we'll see another non-TIE for a while. Hints are that the First Order has a lot of stuff backed up (TIE Silencer at least, possibly a new TIE Bomber), not to mention any new Imperial TIE variants that will fall out of the Han Solo movie.

If I were to bet, the next one might be the Skipray as something just as popular as the Gunboat... if not moreso (which surprises even me to think about now, that the Gunboat came first). In every other Legends place the Skipray has been everywhere and anywhere, leaving the poor Gunboat left to collect dust only in the sims.

In fact, it's kind of remarkable that the XG-1 triumphs over the Skipray in this instance, since the XG is forgotten nearly everywhere else.

Blasphemy! Our Lord Saviour Gunboat!  @Mikael Hasselstein Norsehound is wavering! They've gotten to him! Re-conditioning is highly warranted! :D:D:D

Keh, I know you're kidding, but I'm serious when I say I came back to X-Wing pretty much only because the Gunboat is coming. So don't doubt my devotion to the XG-1 :P

I'm just realistic about my expectations. What I'd love is a proper TIE Avenger to come out, but with the TIE Silencer I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen for a long time. At one ship per wave there's plenty of content for the Empire to dig through (next to whatever the Rebels get and whatever they dredge up for more Scum craft) before reconsidering EU material. I'm still in awe that the Gunboat even made it, consider the contenders.

4 hours ago, Norsehound said:

Losing faith now the Master is returning? You disappoint me, son.

PS: Compare the size of this thread and the size of the Skipray's thread. 

TIE Hunter and TIE Avenger are pretty much the only (small) ships I want to see for the Empire in the future. But here are the ones we'll likely be getting before that:

1. TIE Silencer
  2. TIE Reaper
  3. Krennic's Delta-class Shuttle
  4. whatever new TIEs from Han Solo movie
  5. TIE Bomber/FO

13 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Losing faith now the Master is returning? You disappoint me, son.

PS: Compare the size of this thread and the size of the Skipray's thread. 

Yes, but compare the list of appearances in Wookiepedia. It even appeared in Empire at War when the Gunboat did not. In terms of visibility in the Star Wars universe, the Blastboat has had more appearances and evidently more fame than the XG-1 Gunboat, which has been restricted to pretty much only the Flight Simulators related to X-Wing.

....but it makes it all the more impressive that the XG-1 beats the Blastboat in the race to become immortalized in plastic from FFG. Let the dorky, derpy Blastboat stay in the realm of Legends gathering dust and give us the sleeker XG1 that fits with the rest of the bladed lineup of Imperial starfighters.

28 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

It even appeared in Empire at War when the Gunboat did not.

Who Says?

HTYsTxS.jpg

92vDimW.jpg

Actually, I'm just trolling, this a mod that adds a huge portion of the EU craft into the game.

Edited by Eskandare

6 hours ago, Kieransi said:

I very, very badly want these things! Which sounds kind of wrong, given that they fall under the category of "Rebels stuff that only shows up in one episode", but keep in mind, a Rebels episode is 22 minutes, which is about 300 times as long as the Quadjumper shows up on screen!

Given that they've already showed up on an x-wing card (they're on Viktor Hel's card) I somehow expect we might see them pretty soon.

9 hours ago, Eskandare said:

That is true, as much as I like 'love' all of Fractal's work, losing the neck does make it look strange. If you look carefully, the canon version has the neck. I have to admit even craft that didn't quite seem imperial gets a good Imperial makeover in his renderings. 

CKDuXoG.png 

Except the scale seems way off... unless that is a hobbit.

3 hours ago, Norsehound said:

....but it makes it all the more impressive that the XG-1 beats the Blastboat in the race to become immortalized in plastic from FFG. Let the dorky, derpy Blastboat stay in the realm of Legends gathering dust and give us the sleeker XG1 that fits with the rest of the bladed lineup of Imperial starfighters.

I quite like the Blastboat; I've theorycrafted what it's profile might end up looking like a number of times (including earlier in this topic IIRC).

However, I'm now content to squat atop this topic like a smiling Buddha, and await the arrival of our five-winged angel.

6 hours ago, Odanan said:

TIE Hunter and TIE Avenger are pretty much the only (small) ships I want to see for the Empire in the future. But here are the ones we'll likely be getting before that:

1. TIE Silencer
  2. TIE Reaper
  3. Krennic's Delta-class Shuttle
  4. whatever new TIEs from Han Solo movie
  5. TIE Bomber/FO

I already intend on doing whatever I can to turn a TIE/vn into a TIE/ad from XvT. Gonna need some green stuff. But honestly you aren't wrong, we've got a slew of things lined up before FFG has to turn back to Legends-only material. Which only sucks because at this rate I'll never get my Miy'tils.

6 hours ago, SabineKey said:

I wander if it will be far back enough for V-Wings to still be in service. 

It would be neat but doesn't seem likely. The Tarkin novel was all of five years after Ep III and TIEs were already starting to show up in that. Ehrenreich looks great as Solo but I definitely don't want him to be 15. Oh, although a flashback would work! Or a throwback early establishing scene like in Rogue One. V-Wings could totally happen.

12 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

It's so nice that the Gunboat is going to be available; it'll be my first purchase of a new release since I grabbed a Striker, which is a fun little squirrely TIE, but isn't very wow. 

This, the Gunboat, is so very wow!

I do like the Striker.  It's got a great, unique pre-move mechanic, can be run in a pack of five, looks gorgeous and IT'S WINGS EVEN MOVE.  I always like to find room for Countdown in my Imperial lists.

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

I do like the Striker.  It's got a great, unique pre-move mechanic, can be run in a pack of five, looks gorgeous and IT'S WINGS EVEN MOVE.  I always like to find room for Countdown in my Imperial lists.

After the Gunboat announcement I immediately went out and bought 3 TIE Aggressors. They aren't bad and so far supplement my TIE Defenders.

36 minutes ago, Odanan said:

What mod is that?

Do want.

I believe it is the Absolute Corruption Mod.

I've been meaning to test out the Empire at War Remake Mod to see what the added craft are, but it updates most of the game graphics.

13 hours ago, Norsehound said:

Yes, but compare the list of appearances in Wookiepedia. It even appeared in Empire at War when the Gunboat did not. In terms of visibility in the Star Wars universe, the Blastboat has had more appearances and evidently more fame than the XG-1 Gunboat, which has been restricted to pretty much only the Flight Simulators related to X-Wing.

Micro machines made a Skipray like 20 years ago.  They even made that dorito shaped imperial carrier.  It seemed the only thing they weren't willing to make was the beloved GUNBOAT.

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

Isn't that, like, every Imperial carrier?

Question: should I amend the name of the topic to be "Alpha-class Star Wing", given the expansion's name?

Alpha Class Xg-1 Starwing Assault GUNBOAT...and Missile Boat

20 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

I quite like the Blastboat; I've theorycrafted what it's profile might end up looking like a number of times (including earlier in this topic IIRC).

However, I'm now content to squat atop this topic like a smiling Buddha, and await the arrival of our five-winged angel.

Ahh, the Prophet has spoken.

^Starts chanting/praying like an Ewok from RoTj when C3PO rises up out of the undergrowth^ Hu-ti-tu-ti-huti-tu-ti.

On 9/6/2017 at 4:42 PM, Norsehound said:

Ahh...that's more like it. That's the true Imperial Champion Norsehound that I remember!

It's all good @Mikael Hasselstein no interrogation or re-conditioning required! Merely a momentary lapse of faith. :D:D:D