FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

HUGE fan of the old X-Wing/TIE Fighter PC games and I do believe I've posted in this thread in years past...

However, I've been out of the X-Wing loop since the release of the Hound's Tooth so, as I only have ships from Waves 1-7, will I experience any power creep or unfair balancing issues if I purchase a couple of Gunboats?  Or should I be OK?

BTW, I only have the original X-Wing Miniatures Game, not the Force Awakens version with the new deck.  Not sure if that matters, but just fyi.

9 minutes ago, Harlock999 said:

HUGE fan of the old X-Wing/TIE Fighter PC games and I do believe I've posted in this thread in years past...

However, I've been out of the X-Wing loop since the release of the Hound's Tooth so, as I only have ships from Waves 1-7, will I experience any power creep or unfair balancing issues if I purchase a couple of Gunboats?  Or should I be OK?

BTW, I only have the original X-Wing Miniatures Game, not the Force Awakens version with the new deck.  Not sure if that matters, but just fyi.

You will need Imperial Veterans, if you want to play with TIE Defenders. TIE Bombers got some help there too.

So the Gunboats are much, much better than the stuff from Waves 1-7?  Making the Aces/Veterans packs necessary for the other ships to compete?  (This is my main concern.)

Or are you simply making the general statement that I should get Imperial Veterans if I want to get into the tournament scene these days?  (I'm less concerned with this issue.)

2 minutes ago, Harlock999 said:

So the Gunboats are much, much better than the stuff from Waves 1-7?  Making the Aces/Veterans packs necessary for the other ships to compete?  (This is my main concern.)

Or are you simply making the general statement that I should get Imperial Veterans if I want to get into the tournament scene these days?  (I'm less concerned with this issue.)

I don't think the Gunboat is too power creep - it will do fine with the stuff you own. It looks a very fun ship to play, though, with many different possible builds.

27 minutes ago, Harlock999 said:

I think you should be fine, based on what we know so far. It may like some of the newer ordinance, but that's not a certainty. Conclusions may change based on the release of information.

1 hour ago, Fractalsponge said:

Where do you think they got this design from? I can match camera angles and you can look at the panel gaps if you like :)

I'm pretty sure it's fractals model. There are solar panels in the wings and the ion cannon is a lot more involved than in ffg's art. Previous art drew from xwing alliance more than anything else, you can tell with the red stripes.

Here's a shot of the model fractal;

https://spikeybits.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Assault-Gunboat-Model-Star-Wars.jpg

11 hours ago, Azrapse said:

My gunboats will not need rust. The Empire seems to be quite anal about keeping everything clean and tidy. 
None of FFG's imperial ships have that layer of dirt and weathering that rebels and scum usually have. (I actually find the Kimogila in that picture too clean for having those big wide smooth areas)

This is true, but I kinda don't mind that the base paint of the ships is clean. It's like you're getting it off the production line - it'll rust after you use it.

And it's a lot easier to add rust and weathering to a clean ship than to clean up a ship that is rusty from the start.

6 hours ago, Fractalsponge said:

This entire thread is about the XG-1?!

Ahh, the venerable Fractalsponge!

In agreement with all our bretheren and sisterens here - welcome to the unofficial FFG home of the Assault Gunboat!

Hope is what made the Gunboat a reality - your renderings helped to shape and maintain that hope during the long...dark years, so thank you. :)

6 hours ago, Fractalsponge said:

This entire thread is about the XG-1?!

My goodness, I didn't know FS actually had a forum account. :lol:

Yes. Yep. XG-1. This entire thread. Pretty much sums it up.

So tell me... how does it feel to build kilometer-long starships out of electricity and triangles? 

tumblr_okiqyvZS0C1qhe17ko3_500.gif

... untold billions of triangles...

ViscerothSWG:

"Plenty of time to change that!

Wave 12 probably releases in February.  

I'll recommend starting with these."

Hehe, Geee...wouldn't that be awesome if Otaking joined us and played Armada/X-Wing???? (Even though he did miss out on including our beloved Gunboat in his TIE Fighter Tribute. :D)

15 minutes ago, ViscerothSWG said:

Plenty of time to change that!

Wave 12 probably releases in February.  

I'll recommend starting with these.

Didn't Tabletop get a bunch of stuff wrong with the rules?

(aside from generally being trash as a show)

1 hour ago, OneKelvin said:

My goodness, I didn't know FS actually had a forum account. :lol:

Yes. Yep. XG-1. This entire thread. Pretty much sums it up.

So tell me... how does it feel to build kilometer-long starships out of electricity and triangles? 

tumblr_okiqyvZS0C1qhe17ko3_500.gif

... untold billions of triangles...

Best hobby ever.

6 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

@Fractalsponge

So if this sounds entitled or anything, I apoligise... but...

Have any modding communities approached you about using your beutiful models in a game mod? What is/would be your view on that?

Yes, but the models are totally unsuitable for any game engine. 500k polygons is a small model for me. You have to rebuild them as low-poly models.

4 hours ago, AugustineS said:

Didn't Tabletop get a bunch of stuff wrong with the rules?

(aside from generally being trash as a show)

Now, now - they had some pretty weak episodes off and on while getting going, but the last season has been pretty amazing.  They've certainly done a LOT better getting the rules right (they were pretty well eviscerated for some of the rules mistakes they'd made earlier on).

3 hours ago, Fractalsponge said:

Best hobby ever.

Yes, but the models are totally unsuitable for any game engine. 500k polygons is a small model for me. You have to rebuild them as low-poly models.

Sent you PM.

4 hours ago, Fractalsponge said:

Best hobby ever.

I wondered Fractal, if you'd entertain the idea of rebuilding some of them for Shapeways use. I'm watching the Procurator you're building now, kind of wish we had more imperial fighting capital ships so I could sub in the Procurator.

On 7/27/2017 at 9:11 PM, FTS Gecko said:

OK, so in my continuing quest to provide you with some lovely Gunboaty info to discuss, I managed to find this cool little Wordpress blog post, complete with CAD Gunboat and home-stroke-university-made models, using the Y-Wing BTL-A4 Ion idea, no less!

gunboat_cad_1.jpg

gunboats_action.jpg

I reckon we need to scour the web and see just how many fan-made Gunboat projects there are out there...

Hi guys - low 'poly' models?

Did you mean the above?

:D

12 hours ago, Harlock999 said:

It's too early to tell really as we're still only speculating on a lot of the upgrades that are shown in the Gunboat pack.  However, if you're playing casual you should be fine - just play what you like the look of and enjoy!

16 hours ago, Harlock999 said:

I haven't been in the game since Wave 5. I'm starting to collect a few Rebel/Empire packs... not touching Scum at all, but I have three gunboats on preorder. We'll see how they perform in casual matches using the upgrades I already have.