FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

6 minutes ago, Alpha Xg1 said:

Do you think the Gunboat will make an appearance in Battlefront II??? It's TOUGH, has shields, can hyperspace, is an independent platform. All boxes checked!

SO awesome, imagine that. A Gunboat Squad flying out of an Imperial Raider!!! ^Mind spinnnnnnnn^ ^Fingers Crossed^!!!! :D:D:D

Jesus, that would be amazing. (not to mention future Ace pack with the Inferno Squad pilots)

But, to be honest, I'm afraid they won't do it, favoring the more known designs (Fighter, Bomber, Interceptor...)

Just now, Odanan said:

Disney buried the Avenger with their TIE "Vendetta". :(

Pff, I would love to see both and having both one for Palpatine's Empire and one for Snoke's First Order makes even sense. Just like we have TIE/LN and TIE/FO. And btw, the TIE Silencer (TIE/VN) looks like a modern upgrade of the Avenger, so it would be even cooler to have its predecessor in the game. 

4 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

The raider has no hangar ;-)
Though the Vigil has hangar compartments and those might be big enough to drop Gunboats Gozanti style. Quick, someone tell FFG that we want a vigil corvette as third imperial epic. ^-^

Whoa - are you sure the Raider has no Hangar?

The Battlefront II Reveal trailer showed some X-Wings falling out of a hangar bay at 1:24 - then it skips to an outside shot showing a Raider at the lower left hand corner immediately after that!

Does that mean that I'm guessing Inferno Squad were using X-Wings covertly???

...hoping against hope that I'm right... Hehehhe.

3 hours ago, Alpha Xg1 said:

Whoa - are you sure the Raider has no Hangar?

That is how FFG decided to write him in their RPG, and they should no, it is their baby. No hangar, just 30 Troop, a crew of 77 and 15 officers.

As compact as the raider is, it would be hard anyway to add anywhere hangar space that is more an oversized airlock. 

9 hours ago, Odanan said:

Disney buried the Avenger with their TIE "Vendetta". :(

Nah.  No more than they buried the TIE Fighter with the TIE/fo, or the TIE Aggressor with the Special Forces TIE.  If anything, the Silencer is a simuilar First Order evolution of the Avenger and Vader's TIE Advanced.

1 hour ago, SEApocalypse said:

As compact as the raider is, it would be hard anyway to add anywhere hangar space that is more an oversized airlock. 

Well, that's more or less how the Gozanti works.  I wouldn't say it has a "hanger" either, but it can still carry TIEs.  Because it has a series of glorified airlocks.

The Arquitens also doesn't have a hanger, but Lambda Shuttles dock with the weird fork on the front.

Edited by DarthEnderX

10 hours ago, Alpha Xg1 said:

...random query that's been bugging the **** out of me - WHY do they design starfighters so that astromech droids sit exposed???? For comic relief? I'm sure it's not a laughing matter for pilots with exploded droids!

They are covered by the shields. And if the shields are down, you are in most cases already dead.

13 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

3 or 2 nu squadron blockers with no title, long range sennsors, and a Plasma torp

Major vinder with VI, advance slam, assault config, flechette cannon, Possibly another main gun.

Plasmas over Cruise Missiles? The e̶x̶t̶r̶a̶ ̶d̶a̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ consistent four dice might be nice but I'd rather have the Target Lock to spend.  With either though I feel like LRS plus ASLAM means I can quickly get back out to Range 3+ for another TL, too, although I'm going to have to get used to timing that and Reload.

Edited by Tsiegtiez
I am not good at formatting apparently

In the latter period of the galactic civil war, many In the Imperial Navy pushed to see the Assault Gunboat in use by all front line Imperial Navy units, this grouping of Naval Officers and Academies became known unofficially within the Imperial Navy as the 'Gunboat Mafia". It could be said that many campaigns, notably those between the battles of Hoth and Endor went very well for the Empire, with the Rebellion losing significant war Materiel to these 5 winged monstrosities.

A splinter faction of the Empire that was willing to defect to the Rebellion was completely foiled by recon efforts of these Star Wings.

7 minutes ago, DariusAPB said:

In the latter period of the galactic civil war, many In the Imperial Navy pushed to see the Assault Gunboat in use by all front line Imperial Navy units, this grouping of Naval Officers and Academies became known unofficially within the Imperial Navy as the 'Gunboat Mafia". It could be said that many campaigns, notably those between the battles of Hoth and Endor went very well for the Empire, with the Rebellion losing significant war Materiel to these 5 winged monstrosities.

A splinter faction of the Empire that was willing to defect to the Rebellion was completely foiled by recon efforts of these Star Wings.

Well if Zaarin wasn't an egocentric maniac the Galactic Civil War might have ended well before Endor, but whatcha gonna do.

Just now, Tsiegtiez said:

Well if Zaarin wasn't an egocentric maniac the Galactic Civil War might have ended well before Endor, but whatcha gonna do.

Hey, yo, whatcha gonna do?

We're obviously gonna come on and SLAM and welcome to the JAM 

Because gunboat's in the house (that's right!) 

1 hour ago, Tsiegtiez said:

Plasmas over Cruise Missiles? The e̶x̶t̶r̶a̶ ̶d̶a̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ consistent four dice might be nice but I'd rather have the Target Lock to spend.  With either though I feel like LRS plus ASLAM means I can quickly get back out to Range 3+ for another TL, too, although I'm going to have to get used to timing that and Reload.

Plasmas  are  simply cheaper.  Putting  LRS on instead of ASLAM or GC means I'm already at an action deficency, but as built that ship costs 22-24 points for an early punch, a SLAM blocker, and if out of position can recharge and relock.

Just now, Rakaydos said:

Plasmas  are  simply cheaper.  Putting  LRS on instead of ASLAM or GC means I'm already at an action deficency, but as built that ship costs 22-24 points for an early punch, a SLAM blocker, and if out of position can recharge and relock.

Why on earth did I think I could take LRS and ASLAM? My bad.

I like the build a lot, but aren't Plasmas and Cruisers both 3 points? That was my gist, sorry.

3 minutes ago, Tsiegtiez said:

Why on earth did I think I could take LRS and ASLAM? My bad.

I like the build a lot, but aren't Plasmas and Cruisers both 3 points? That was my gist, sorry.

Remember when plasmas were considered stupidly good for their price? :P

Hmm. I'd probably still go for the torpedos that can be fired at any speed, when I'm trying to catch a higher PS ace who already knows I'm after him.

2 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

Remember when plasmas were considered stupidly good for their price? :P

Hmm. I'd probably still go for the torpedos that can be fired at any speed, when I'm trying to catch a higher PS ace who already knows I'm after him.

Concussion Missiles for me.  Because I'm a traditionalist.

I still got a lot of use out of Plasmas for that price, mainly because of the sheer number of large ship/heavy shield ship builds I used to see here. Not so much anymore...

I am curious as to what ordnance selections people are leaning towards here, though. I'm finding it hard to not look at Homing Missiles, despite the price. I've gotten so much use out of them with TIE Bombers, that I'm not sure if I'm doing it out of habit, or because they're genuinely as good as I remember.

2 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

Back in my day we used Protons. Because Drea Renthal with R4b11 handled everything except focus, and chips wernt out yet.

Drea Renthal?  R4-B11?  Pffffffffffft, yer don't know yer born.

When I was a lad we ran Horton Salm with Ion Cannon Turret and Proton Torpedoes and we considered ourselves lucky to have that!

Edited by FTS Gecko