Jump to content
FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

Recommended Posts

Thank you FFG! Thank you Lucasfilm! Thank you Disney! Thank you fellow Gunboat forum supporters! 

I promised back on March 17 that I would purchase no more X-Wing products until I could purchase a Gunboat...well...it appears that later this year I will be able to happily make that purchase! I am excited beyond words...I think my wife thought I was going insane for a few minutes laughing and giggling so much lol. 

 

I have wanted a good-quality model of the gunboat since the X-Wing game first came out in early 1993...yes...I played it back then...on 5 1/4" floppy discs...and I loved every second of it. I was intrigued by the Star Wing in the game and was glad it was a playable ship in the Tie Fighter game that followed (I think that one I got the 3 1/2" disc version lol). Ever since, I have been a fan of the Star Wing gunboats and they should be a natural for the X-Wing miniatures game. It took many years and constant crusading to finally get FFG to make them...and I am excited to end my embargo and open that pack to hold my gunboat model. Truly it will be a day long remembered... :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mep said:

No idea why people are getting all excited about this ship. You know the Kimogila is going to face roll the gunboat just because it is scum and this is x-wing.

Why are people getting exited? Because its a non-shuttle, non-TiE-variant fighter with links to awesome characters and lore, looks unbelievably fitting and badass?

My joy aside though, this thing is also supposed to be high-tech, so it could give us some very interesting options and/or fixes for the imperial faction as a whole. Think of an early warning system against bombs, or some squad coordination mechanics outside of the box, for instance. Even if none of that is the case, the point above still stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super happy for the gunboat. I am stoked for my 90s nostalgia to hit the mat.

Also really like how both generics are from the actual squadrons in the game Tie Fighter. Shame we don't get another Maarek Stele pilot since he also flew the gunboat ... Oh well he's moved into the defender I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mep said:

No idea why people are getting all excited about this ship. You know the Kimogila is going to face roll the gunboat just because it is scum and this is x-wing.

Im scared of that as well. Waiting for more details but so far we got anothe ship with low customization options (no tech, system, crew, etc) and probably another Xpac with no unique upgrade. We already know there is another scum/rebel unique comming (crew).

I really hope this ship is as good as some of the crazy stuff scums/rebels already have. If not they need to start thinking about firing the guy who designs the Imperial materials...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DampfGecko said:

YES! How awesome is that?

Comes with a SLAM, too!

Gunboats didn't have SLAM!

You people are the worst!  You pretend to be Gunboat fans, but still lose your **** even when the ship they give you is not true to the classic Gunboat!

Posers!  The lot o' ya!

Edited by DarthEnderX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Did anyone notice after the Kimoglia and Phantom II were announced, there was a brief pause before they brought up the next slide... well played FFG, well played!  :)

Is there a way to watch the unveiling? I'd like to see that moment.

 

Anyway, we got it! This is awesome! And we probably got Missile Boat as a title.

*Edit*

Or rather, we got a Missile Boat-ish Assault Gunboat, with a title to make it more like the Assault Gunboat. That's still fine with me, since I can choose how to run them.

Edited by Knightcrawler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

Gunboats didn't have SLAM!

You people are the worst!  You pretend to be Gunboat fans, but still lose your **** even when the ship they give you is not true to the classic Gunboat!

Posers!  The lot o' ya!

Missile Boats had SLAM drives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's 3 AM right now and I just saw this. There was a lot of silent hype going on so I didn't wake up the wife. That being said, I'm having to hold back everything I can from calling my FLGS owner buddy who's at GenCon right now to A) tell him to pre-order 4 of these beauties and B) curse him out for not telling me about this.

 

In any case, I already have my music lined out for when I open these babies!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any thoughts? Almost 200k messages after we get the Gunboat!! I never was really hoping this, but this community has committed to the gunboat and that is what is coming out! 

So you guys feel like you have been listened by developers? I think that being the most biggest thread in here it should send message. All I hope that this won't be trashing your dreams how it will be.. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll just say that I'm glad we get the model, to start with. 

We still need to see how they have translated the ship into the game's mechanics. 

As many have said, it seems they are squishing two ships into one, then adding two titles to separate them. However that leaves us with the title less version that is some strange hybrid. 

The missile boat and the gunboat we as much the same ship as a B-wing and a K-wing were the same ship. That is, not at all. 

In feeling conflicted because the gunboat "should" have been a b-wing. But b-wings are too simple for the game today, and that would have made the gunboat dead on arrival. So the slam certainly adds something to its possibilities, at the cost of not being lore-accurate at all. 

As I said, conflicted, but just happy. We can still play it as lore accurate as we want if we want. 

Still, I'm looking forward to reading its article. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really feel good that they specifically mentioned this thread when making the announcement. Considering how many companies just try to figure out how to make their new release intentionally as game breaking as possible to force you to buy it in order to stay competitive in the game (COUGH40KCOUGH), to see a pure shout out to the players makes me feel like the devs want fans to enjoy the game as much as they want profit.

That being said, I know we put out a ton of ideas for what the Gunboat could do in this thread and it would be impossible to implement them all. I also know that the frustration and eventual hype may lead to some unrealistic expectations about the Gunboat. That being said I believe that FFG will treat it fairly and even if it turns out to be an average fighter I'll still use it in my games.

I am sorta bummed that poor Mu Squadron was left out though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4? Have we got confirmation on points values already? I must have missed it. I just assumed you'd be maxing out 3 on this. Hitting 4 would be Bomber prices.

Not that I'm complaining. I love my 4x Bomber lists, but I'll trade/swap in for Gunboats happily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cpdilloway said:

Thank you FFG! Thank you Lucasfilm! Thank you Disney! Thank you fellow Gunboat forum supporters! 

I promised back on March 17 that I would purchase no more X-Wing products until I could purchase a Gunboat...well...it appears that later this year I will be able to happily make that purchase! I am excited beyond words...I think my wife thought I was going insane for a few minutes laughing and giggling so much lol. 

 

I have wanted a good-quality model of the gunboat since the X-Wing game first came out in early 1993...yes...I played it back then...on 5 1/4" floppy discs...and I loved every second of it. I was intrigued by the Star Wing in the game and was glad it was a playable ship in the Tie Fighter game that followed (I think that one I got the 3 1/2" disc version lol). Ever since, I have been a fan of the Star Wing gunboats and they should be a natural for the X-Wing miniatures game. It took many years and constant crusading to finally get FFG to make them...and I am excited to end my embargo and open that pack to hold my gunboat model. Truly it will be a day long remembered... :) 

I am with you on that one mate.

The last thing X-wing I bought was the hounds tooth back when it first came out, yes there have been a few ships I should have bought since then but I totally lost interest with starwars due to that maus...happy to say that I AM BACK! 

 

OH YES!!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...