FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

I think they're waiting until this thread hits 250 pages, since that's how much 10 gunboats with Multi-Role Loadout and Linked Firing Array cost, which is how many Gunboats I'd buy to play in Epic. The other 50 points would go to ordnance I already own. So, yeah, let's get to 250 pages. Keep posting everybody! Maybe once we have a Gunboat subforum they'll finally listen...

3 hours ago, Joe Censored said:

I'm expecting FFG to purposely piss off everyone here and release it as "Captured XG-1 Star Wing" with some interesting rebel pilots :P

Given the SW LCG it will be an Alpha Class Starwing

4 hours ago, Kieransi said:

I think they're waiting until this thread hits 250 pages, since that's how much 10 gunboats with Multi-Role Loadout and Linked Firing Array cost, which is how many Gunboats I'd buy to play in Epic. The other 50 points would go to ordnance I already own. So, yeah, let's get to 250 pages. Keep posting everybody! Maybe once we have a Gunboat subforum they'll finally listen...

Getting so close!

On 5/6/2017 at 8:27 PM, Kieransi said:

I will sacrifice my Tie punisher to some unspeakable god out there the day they will release the gunboat!

On 6/5/2017 at 6:40 AM, sgs said:

So, after waiting for nearly four years for a ship that I believe should have been included in Wave 5 or 6, I finally crumbled and bought a couple of those Gunboats with the foldable wings. So, what's the consensus on the best "version" of Gunboats that has been tried here? The 2-2-4-3 looks ok to me, is there a place where I can see all of those variants in a single place?

Here's hoping that FFG will make my purchase obsolete sooner, rather than later.

Have you tried Thugs with BTL-A4 ions and R4 agromechs?

lots of foreward firepower and action efficency.

Been thinking of some pilot abilities that would directly complement the reinforcement ability. Remember how you'd be in your letter Wing, minding your own business, fulfilling the mission objectives when all of the sudden, you see the following:

3 Assault Gunboats from FG Rho have arrived at 2.4 km

And almost INSTANTLY the yellow light above your reticle starts flashing and you have to start shunting power to shields, get ready to start weaving, and/or jam the H key if you're just mopping up TIE Fighters for points.

What if Rho Squadron, the generic, had the innate ability to gain a TL on a ship at Range 3 if used in conjunction with the Reinforcements card? This would give the Gunboat a more solid role as not only an alpha strike fighter, but also as the cavalry coming to the rescue of overwhelmed Imperial forces. You could even make it part of a reference card for Reinforcements so that it could be innate for all Gunboats. This would actually make the Reinforcements upgrade a bit more worth it (raising the cost obviously). It would also carve out a unique niche for the Gunboats and influence the game a lot more. It wouldn't work with Unguided Rockets so hopefully not too OP.

Another thing that would be interesting to introduce would be a missile/torpedo symbol. Pretty much a diagonal split with a cut image of one on top and the other on the bottom. The explanation being that you can mount a missile OR torpedo upgrade. This would help separate the heavy fighters like the Gunboats from the dedicated bombers like the Y-Wings. We would no longer have to haggle over how many ordnance slots are balanced for one ship.

47 minutes ago, flyboymb said:

Been thinking of some pilot abilities that would directly complement the reinforcement ability. Remember how you'd be in your letter Wing, minding your own business, fulfilling the mission objectives when all of the sudden, you see the following:

3 Assault Gunboats from FG Rho have arrived at 2.4 km

And almost INSTANTLY the yellow light above your reticle starts flashing and you have to start shunting power to shields, get ready to start weaving, and/or jam the H key if you're just mopping up TIE Fighters for points.

What if Rho Squadron, the generic, had the innate ability to gain a TL on a ship at Range 3 if used in conjunction with the Reinforcements card? This would give the Gunboat a more solid role as not only an alpha strike fighter, but also as the cavalry coming to the rescue of overwhelmed Imperial forces. You could even make it part of a reference card for Reinforcements so that it could be innate for all Gunboats. This would actually make the Reinforcements upgrade a bit more worth it (raising the cost obviously). It would also carve out a unique niche for the Gunboats and influence the game a lot more. It wouldn't work with Unguided Rockets so hopefully not too OP.

Another thing that would be interesting to introduce would be a missile/torpedo symbol. Pretty much a diagonal split with a cut image of one on top and the other on the bottom. The explanation being that you can mount a missile OR torpedo upgrade. This would help separate the heavy fighters like the Gunboats from the dedicated bombers like the Y-Wings. We would no longer have to haggle over how many ordnance slots are balanced for one ship.

I like how you think sir.

I was thinking the cannon or missile weapons and the ion weapon should be chained in a way. i.e. You can shoot ion then a secondary weapon or ion then a cannnon upgrade in the same attack. I'd love it if it were odd (and cheap base cost as it only has an ion weapon); therefore the ion weapon is the primary and then the open cannon slot that can be filled with an existing cannon mod and the Title gives it the link (double-tap) and additional (extra munitions like) missiles for the missile that was selected and added to the ship.

....am I making sense? Or is it the beer? Haha!

Gunboat!

Edited by clanofwolves

16 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

That's my favourite Gunboat proxy.

Gold Squadron Pilot - BTL-A4, Ion Cannon Turret, Proton Torpedoes, Extra Munitions, Targeting Astromech, Guidance Chips - 31 points

It's pretty much as close as we can get at the moment (shame it's in the wrong faction)

16 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

It's pretty much as close as we can get at the moment (shame it's in the wrong faction)

Luckily is in the wrong faction (otherwise the chances for the Gunboat would be even smaller).

17 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

No, I haven't played Ion-Thugs, as I don't really like the Scum-faction. Do they play similar to how the Gunboat should play in the game, when FFG finally comes to their senses?

Edited by sgs
brain not turned on for original reply

14 minutes ago, sgs said:

No, I haven't played Ion-Thugs, as I don't really like the Scum-faction. Do they play similar to how the Gunboat should play in the game, when FFG finally comes to their senses?

2 dice laser attack with a (shorter ranged) 3 dice ion double tap, relatively slow and cumbersome to fly, tough enough to tank a couple of shots, capable of loading up on ordnance... yeah, it's a pretty close comparison.  Not perfect, but close.

5 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

That's my favourite Gunboat proxy.

Gold Squadron Pilot - BTL-A4, Ion Cannon Turret, Proton Torpedoes, Extra Munitions, Targeting Astromech, Guidance Chips - 31 points

Interesting the Y-Wing as a comparison. I guess the dial will be better on a Gunboat as it isn't turreted. Or, they could give it an auxiliary arc? or give it the ability to fire missiles at targets out of arc?

15 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

Interesting the Y-Wing as a comparison. I guess the dial will be better on a Gunboat as it isn't turreted. Or, they could give it an auxiliary arc? or give it the ability to fire missiles at targets out of arc?

Comparison between the Y-wing and my ideal of Gunboat:

• Cannon instead of turret in exchange of better dial.
  • Better agility in exchange of fewer hitpoints.
  • Missiles instead of torpedoes.
  • System instead of Astromech.

Since the Y-wing is overcosted by about 3 points (balanced out by the fact that it can equip TLT), the Gunboat should have exclusive ability (upgrade, title) that is within that value, or better if we want to push its cost above that of the Y-wing.

• Either a TIE/D / BTL-A4 kind of title that allows a second attack after a first attack. Or that combines both attacks in one for higher chance of hitting and better action economy.
  • Or some good action economy ability.
  • Or some unique mechanics in the same spirit of the K-wing's SLAM, the Quadjumper's backward movement, the Phantom cloacking, etc. (I mean, as unique as those, but not those). The Imperial Reinforcements card is a good candidate, but so would be something about tractor beam, missiles, or ions.
Edited by Azrapse

3 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

Why those last two suggestions? It never could do anything like that.