FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

8 hours ago, AwesomeJedi said:

On your ship bases that say "Squadron" you should change it to "Sq." That is what FFG does after all.

Plus, doing this will make the text look not as small.

I'm on it. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: just updated the PDF (it was good because I spotted a typo in one pilot)

Edited by Odanan

18 hours ago, Odanan said:

Very well made, as usually are all your custom card expansions. :)

However I hope if the Gunboat is ever released by FFG, they come up with something new and different, not just a BTL-4 Y-Wing ripoff. That is a ship the Empire doesn't need, especially now that they have the TIE/SF with better stats and upgrade options.

Actually I'd say that the Agressor will be the Imperial Y-wing.

An idea to update the Gunboat would be to have a number of titles denoting special roles. So a bomber would get bomb upgrades and SLAM, ordnance gets some upgrade to make ordnance modified or easier to fire and/or regen for naked ships.

35 minutes ago, Xerandar said:

Actually I'd say that the Agressor will be the Imperial Y-wing.

An idea to update the Gunboat would be to have a number of titles denoting special roles. So a bomber would get bomb upgrades and SLAM, ordnance gets some upgrade to make ordnance modified or easier to fire and/or regen for naked ships.

SLAM? Oh boy...

2 hours ago, Azrapse said:

Very well made, as usually are all your custom card expansions. :)

However I hope if the Gunboat is ever released by FFG, they come up with something new and different, not just a BTL-4 Y-Wing ripoff. That is a ship the Empire doesn't need, especially now that they have the TIE/SF with better stats and upgrade options.

The reinforcement mechanic would make the Gunboat exclusive. Also, pilots could have cool abilities. As for the stats, the ship is what it is - and it's strength is not having crazy new maneuvers or actions, but the versatility.  

22 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

The Lambda can never be too clean.

I'm not saying it needs rust and stripped paint and scorch marks like you might see on a Scum or Rebel craft.  I just think it would look better with an Imperial insignia on the central fin, or maybe on the folding wings.

11 minutes ago, clockworkspider said:

I'm not saying it needs rust and stripped paint and scorch marks like you might see on a Scum or Rebel craft.  I just think it would look better with an Imperial insignia on the central fin, or maybe on the folding wings.

It's such an Imperial symbol of power (projection) that it needs no symbols.

Which is why the Rebel Starbird is always so striking on the dorsal..!

On 5/20/2017 at 6:21 AM, clockworkspider said:

On 5/20/2017 at 6:33 AM, Captain Lackwit said:

It's such an Imperial symbol of power (projection) that it needs no symbols.

Which is why the Rebel Starbird is always so striking on the dorsal..!

I am going to align here with the cap.

The Empire is THE Empire. It's not "Palpatine's Empire", or "the Empire of Coruscant" or any other longer name. There aren't any other empires left to rival it, so an Imperial doesn't feel the need to qualify their empire as anything else than THE Empire. That is why their shuttles don't sport a big Imperial Cog symbol on them. There is no need for that. The shuttle is clearly a ship The Empire uses, and that is all symbology it needs.

At the same time, I don't think rebels would paint their starbird symbol on their ships either (other than on obviously rebel ships, like warships and starfighters), since their transports usually want to pass unnoticed and undetected.
Nothing would attract more an Imperial patrol or a bunch of bounty hunters than a shuttle or GR-75 covered with red starbirds.

In the case of the shuttle, probably they are stolen and used for infiltration and sabotage, so they will usually want them to look as Imperial-looking as possible.

To be fair, a star bird on a transport could be the equivalent of the Christian fish on Neros time: an innocuous symbol that's meant to identify friendliest so friendly raids and corsairing don't harass them.

edit: before anyone takes me up on this I'm aware of the dubious historicity of this usage of the Christian fish. I'm just providing an analogy.

Edited by Xerandar

Yes @Xerandar, that's a good analogy whether or not the 'scribed in the sand at first meeting fish symbol' to identify The Way from possible enemies is true history or no.

As far as symbols go, I think the Rebels had to mark their fighters to keep them from being mistaken as a cartel or mercenaries ship as they use a lot of older government stock and retrofits of less than standard military ships. Imperials however, when operating in controlled governmental space (most everywhere) need not mark their ships as they are the symbol of power. Where I personally think some Imperial markings might occur is in the less that opulent and controlled areas of the Empire such as the outer rim where prisoners and captives might be moved from one interrogation point to another and the ships might fall outside of the hierarchic control or care. At least that's how I imagine that part of the SW universe....

From the TIE Aggressor article today:

At the conclusion of the Clone Wars, and after the defeat of the Separatist Alliance, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine eliminated the Galactic Republic. He reformed it as the Galactic Empire and appointed himself its Emperor.

This Empire possessed a different character than its Republic predecessor, and as its vast military sought to establish order among the galaxy's countless star systems, the Imperial Navy changed to reflect the Empire's new character. The old Republic vessels were almost immediately repainted, and they were slowly retired in favor of new Imperial craft—imposing Star Destroyers and staggering quantities of TIEs.

Flying in the skies of occupied worlds, these TIEs served as reminders of the Empire's power and ambition. They helped establish its cruel order. They represented the Empire and its tyrannical regime. And they are the ubiquitous reminders of the Empire's far-reaching military might

Now, the upcoming release of the TIE Aggressor Expansion Pack looks to add new muscle and utility to this line of TIE variants, even as it hews closely to the aesthetics and mechanics that allow it to serve as an unmistakable symbol of Imperial power.

I don't know, but that text seems to gratuituously underline that the Empire used TIEs and only TIEs, and that this expansion was chosen because it closely uses the aesthetics of the Empire.

Is that a message to the Gunboat fans? Because to me it sounds like a "Forget about it, it's not gonna happen" written between the lines. :(

1 hour ago, Azrapse said:

From the TIE Aggressor article today:

I don't know, but that text seems to gratuituously underline that the Empire used TIEs and only TIEs, and that this expansion was chosen because it closely uses the aesthetics of the Empire.

Is that a message to the Gunboat fans? Because to me it sounds like a "Forget about it, it's not gonna happen" written between the lines. :(

No this is just a suspense before the Gunboat triumphant arrival. From the next Imperial article: 

"See, not all Imperial starships are TIEs..."

8 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I suppose if you consider removing a huge turd from your pizza "dumbing down" said pizza, then sure.

Well, you would know all about turds DEX.  If the last 243 pages have made anything clear, it's that "turd" is your native language.

9 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I suppose if you consider removing a huge turd from your pizza "dumbing down" said pizza, then sure.

In what sense having several companies supplying a Navy is a turd? Or was Cygnus a turd? (and why?) Or the entire gunboat/shuttle/missile boat is a turd?

I know that it's a pet peeve of yours that the Empire has to be as cartoonish as possible, like those evil organizations in old James Bond movies, or Doctor Evil organization in Austin Powers.

I do think there are some designs that are not of my liking, but I don't call them turds because others probably love them.
The Sentinel shuttle looks like a lambda shuttle had an allergic reaction to peanuts. The "new" Delta-class shuttle (Krennic's) is absurd in proportions and cubist in design. But there are out there people that love them for whatever reason. I don't go around telling them how *** they are.

What do you get from this?