FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

Is there some rule somewhere that everything with Disney's stamp on it has to be canon?

...yeah technically. The people who decide what canon is have said that's the case.

It's goddamn stupid, but that's what they said. And fans don't get to decide was is and isn't canon. That's fanon.

Edited by DarthEnderX

In that case they're pretty much screwing their own pooch by making something in a game that directly contradicts what was seen on screen.

Either R2 was in the back of Luke's X-Wing or he was stuck in the Death Star.

Either Yavin IV was a gas giant with no rings, or it was a rocky planet with rings.

Either Chewie was shooting up the inside of the Death Star, or he was in the Falcon with Han as they were supposed to be leaving the system.

So no, Disney can't say that the level is canon and have their single level of canon. If the level is canon, then ANH no longer is canon. There's no reconciliation.

In that case they're pretty much screwing their own pooch by making something in a game that directly contradicts what was seen on screen.

Either Yavin IV was a gas giant with no rings, or it was a rocky planet with rings.

Either Chewie was shooting up the inside of the Death Star, or he was in the Falcon with Han as they were supposed to be leaving the system.

So no, Disney can't say that the level is canon and have their single level of canon. If the level is canon, then ANH no longer is canon. There's no reconciliation.

Fret not. Nobody ever said that Battlefront's events were the canon one. Just that elements may indeed be canon.

Such as the TIE Defender. But debating that is moot isn't it? We've seen its schematics in Rebels.

Fret not. Nobody ever said that Battlefront's events were the canon one. Just that elements may indeed be canon.

Such as the TIE Defender. But debating that is moot isn't it? We've seen its schematics in Rebels.

Actually, they said it themselves that the games after (something title) where to be canon. Granted this is because they didn't want to answer the question. It also doesn't help when people were too stupid to use common sense when games that use canon scenario's didn't change the background. TIE Defender schematics weren't on the Death Star, and Commanders isn't canon. It might be that the new canon background is entirely for the sake of explaining movie backgrounds and justifying not expanding the universe.

On to another topic, I always wondered why they stopped making Proton Bombs a forward warhead over a ground based bomb.

GUYS!!!!

I've come to visit from the Armada Forums!

Salutations to you all!!!

JUST found out about this from one of our Wave 6 Prediction threads! JUST had to chime in here and also voice my support for the Gunboat!! I mean, if it comes out on X-Wing it's bound to come out on Armada yeah???

Man...FFG/Disney - please please please make this happen - would be like a hundred Christmas' in one!

You gave us the Interdictor (THANKS!) now it's just the Gunboat!!

...ohh guys, I absolutely LOVED the original TIE Fighter PC games!!

...don't know, how to describe it, just the feeling you get when you're all alone on a mission, things go hairy and then you press Shift + S - Spacebar: "2 x Assault Gunboats from FG Rho entering area at 2KM"

Ahh...SO awesome that the Empire can reinforce you so quickly!

Man!! Then there was that mission where an X-Wing I think it is, drops out of hyperspace followed hotly by two Gunboats!

SO awesome. ...gee did I type all of that ^?

Still not enough! Please give us the Gunboat!!!!

Hehehehe!!!  :lol:

K guys. I'll be out with it.

Rebels has probably just killed the Gunboat.

It (spoiler alert) has introduced the TIE Defender way ahead of ESB Stating also that it's the first Imperial Fighter with Shields.

While it isn't stated to have a hyperdrive come on, it's a TIE Defender, of course it does. Now, For all we know the Rebels will do something that pushes the Defender production back by a few years - meaning that cygnus makes the gunboat as a stopgap. That would be great. But this is all supposition at this point, as it stands right now. Imperials are manufacturing at least prototypes for the T/D A good 3-4 years before Yavin.

If the Imps have Defenders in production, then they don't need Gunboats.

Edited by DariusAPB

It (spoiler alert) has introduced the TIE Defender way ahead of ESB Stating also that it's the first Imperial Fighter with Shields.

While it isn't stated to have a hyperdrive come on, it's a TIE Defender, of course it does. Now, For all we know the Rebels will do something that pushes the Defender production back by a few years - meaning that cygnus makes the gunboat as a stopgap. That would be great. But this is all supposition at this point, as it stands right now. Imperials are manufacturing at least prototypes for the T/D A good 3-4 years before Yavin.

If the Imps have Defenders in production, then they don't need Gunboats.

Well unless ofc the production facilities get blown up at some point by a certain Rebel cell, and they need to go to another company for a Hyperdrive enabled ship.

First TIE with shields. Presumably, first production model TIE with shields at that, given that tie-in material (Visual Guides) has already established that the TIE Advanced x1 and the TIE Advanced v1 both have shields, but, being prototypes, aren't counted.

Okay everyone time we started contacting Disney/Lucas Film over and over telling them we want the gunboat canon. I already sends tweets to StarWars.com, etc. With enough posts about the Gunboat I'm sure they'll give in eventually.

It'll happen, I have hope in the fact that it is a platform the Imps don't have and the Mouse is running out of cartoon ships to plasticize. I mean come on, they've included a space-tug who's only screen time was a detonation. It'll come; keep pressuring the designers

It'll happen, I have hope in the fact that it is a platform the Imps don't have and the Mouse is running out of cartoon ships to plasticize. I mean come on, they've included a space-tug who's only screen time was a detonation. It'll come; keep pressuring the designers

It did have screentime though.

200_s.gif

Does your ego really need that much of a boost that you have to be a downer on a plastic spaceship forum so as to convince yourself there are people less enlightened than you want to be?

Some people are just so negative...

If you want to take it personally sure, go ahead. I felt it was a double edged sword really. A reminder to myself that I need new material and that I have played a role in this threads continuance as much as it is a commentary on your practices.

It is refreshing though to see Darius still hopeful yet trying to wrangle the reality of it all too.

Gunboats can still be a thing. TIE/Ds are superior to Gunboats in many respects, so Sabine looking at the latest and greatest in TIE design doesn't magically mean Cygnus spaceworks is going to let Sienar win the space race.

I still like the notion of Gunboats ambushing the ghost. In fact with no lead time it would be a great surprise to see them.

I'm just tired of the TIE Fighter contributions being ignored constantly for the TIE Defender. The game was great and added many things to Star Wars, and there are fans of those things. LFL or FFG, it would be nice to see one of those two acknowledge it.