FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

I'm so glad other people hate Rebel's ship designs. Lots of people I know are really into them and I feel like I'm crazy sometimes.

The Shadowcaster will be the first ship I don't get. The new arc turret concept is cool and is probably how turrets should have always been, the ship just happened to fall from the ugly tree and managed to hit every branch on the way down.

It's like the designers were given a mandate to only use cylinders and prisms. At first I thought it was a rendering thing, but that B-Wing last season was pretty alright and their A-Wings are chunky but passable. 

I'm not a huge fan of the hammer heads, but at least the KOTOR ones look pretty good if you chop off that ridiculous head. Rebels managed to completely screw up the aft section by oversimplifying it and reorienting some of the parts they did keep. 

I'm always left wondering, "Why?"

I'm so glad other people hate Rebel's ship designs. Lots of people I know are really into them and I feel like I'm crazy sometimes.

The Shadowcaster will be the first ship I don't get. The new arc turret concept is cool and is probably how turrets should have always been, the ship just happened to fall from the ugly tree and managed to hit every branch on the way down.

It's like the designers were given a mandate to only use cylinders and prisms. At first I thought it was a rendering thing, but that B-Wing last season was pretty alright and their A-Wings are chunky but passable. 

I'm not a huge fan of the hammer heads, but at least the KOTOR ones look pretty good if you chop off that ridiculous head. Rebels managed to completely screw up the aft section by oversimplifying it and reorienting some of the parts they did keep. 

I'm always left wondering, "Why?"

Weeeell, 's just personal taste isn't it?  I can't stand the art style in general - the people, the way they render existing ships, but plenty people do, so  :)  Seriously though, the bridge on the Star Destroyers!!

Yeah, the Shadow Caster is the first ship I haven't pre-ordered too, although I'll probably pick one up for BMST.

Lol @ the hammerhead looks OK if you chop the head off :P

Edited by mazz0

Hate's a strong word. I haven't watched Rebels myself but the clips I've seen haven't dne much for me. When it comes to the miniatures though, the Rebels ships look a bit cartoony and clean-cut alongside the rest of the X-Wing range.

I didn't pick up the Ghpst or Inquisitor's TIE, and I can't see myself getting the Shadow Caster or Protectorate Fightsr either. I don't object to the ships being in the game, they're just not for me.

I didn't like the shadow caster in Rebels itself but having seen the model, they did a **** good job. It looks substantially better than the show would suggest. Tangental gripe though, the rebel TIE is annoying but the title especially is. How is it a paint job allows room for a crew member. 

I didn't like the shadow caster in Rebels itself but having seen the model, they did a **** good job. It looks substantially better than the show would suggest. Tangental gripe though, the rebel TIE is annoying but the title especially is. How is it a paint job allows room for a crew member. 

A paint job doesn't.  Extensive internal modifications do.

The actual cockpit has plenty of space in it for two, it's just that it's not set up that way.

The actual cockpit has plenty of space in it for two, it's just that it's not set up that way.

Must have missed the part where they rip out the interior, Must have been quick since they immediately had one of them riding parrot when they stole it.

Must have missed the part where they rip out the interior, Must have been quick since they immediately had one of them riding parrot when they stole it.

They fit three people in one in the cartoon.  Easily room for a crew member!

I kinda like the ghost. it screams big freighter/gunship that's heavily armed to me. Space truckers represent.

What strikes me about Ghost is that in the cartoon in can take out a Gozanti in a single round of firing.  I don't think that's come across in X-Wing.

Hate's a strong word. I haven't watched Rebels myself but the clips I've seen haven't dne much for me. When it comes to the miniatures though, the Rebels ships look a bit cartoony and clean-cut alongside the rest of the X-Wing range.

I didn't pick up the Ghpst or Inquisitor's TIE, and I can't see myself getting the Shadow Caster or Protectorate Fightsr either. I don't object to the ships being in the game, they're just not for me.

My nephews watch Rebels, I tried but cannot. To be realistic, it's geared towards 7-14 year old kids; therefore the ship design and especially the coloration and/or finishes represent that young cartoon flavor. So yes, "clean-cut and "cartoony"....wish the actual miniatures designers took this into account and made them look like actual rebel ships that were cartoon-ishly simplified in details and coloration for the kids show; kind of a reverse engineering, if you will. But alas, they did not, so this is the cartoon-ish pot most of the new ships are being scooped up from; unexciting to say the least. I don't own any of these ships save the Inquisitors TIE, and that's just because it is the least cartoon-ish and the Title makes it fly so well.

Doing such things to a TIE (paint job that's cool notwithstanding) is paramount to blasphemy. They should be ashamed.

Which is why the title adding it is silly. All TIE fighters should have a crew slot in that case. Only reason I can see is imperial doctrine but all the Rebel TIE should just innately have it in that case. If I want to sink points into a TIE fighter I should **** well be able to.

My nephews watch Rebels, I tried but cannot. To be realistic, it's geared towards 7-14 year old kids; therefore the ship design and especially the coloration and/or finishes represent that young cartoon flavor. So yes, "clean-cut and "cartoony"....wish the actual miniatures designers took this into account and made them look like actual rebel ships that were cartoon-ishly simplified in details and coloration for the kids show; kind of a reverse engineering, if you will. But alas, they did not, so this is the cartoon-ish pot most of the new ships are being scooped up from; unexciting to say the least. I don't own any of these ships save the Inquisitors TIE, and that's just because it is the least cartoon-ish and the Title makes it fly so well.

Yes indeed.  They didn't make the ships from the computer games look exactly like they did in the computer games, I agree it would have been nice to have had the styles translated to match the style of the other ships.

Which is why the title adding it is silly. All TIE fighters should have a crew slot in that case. Only reason I can see is imperial doctrine but all the Rebel TIE should just innately have it in that case. If I want to sink points into a TIE fighter I should **** well be able to.

As if you'd be willing to sit as crew member in some boring grey and black TIE - you'd look ridiculous!

As if you'd be willing to sit as crew member in some boring grey and black TIE - you'd look ridiculous!

"Why can't Imperial TIEs have a crew slot!"

Because we are using TIE's for they are intended to be used for-A single man Figther.

Edited by Sir Orrin

Imperials dont get to sink points into their fighters- that's the rebel thing.

Insted, Impierials get cheap efficent aces with little customization beyond what they need for their gimmiks.

Gunboat shield recovery:

At end of turn, if you did not shoot this turn and do not have a weapon disabled token, put a shield token on this card. (max 2 tokens)

At the start of combat, if you have no shields, you may take  Weapon Disabled to move all shield tokens on this card to your ship.

I kinda like the ghost. it screams big freighter/gunship that's heavily armed to me. Space truckers represent.

What strikes me about Ghost is that in the cartoon in can take out a Gozanti in a single round of firing.  I don't think that's come across in X-Wing.

I really can't think of an episode where that has happened.

Indeed, any time the Ghost has run into a Gozanti, they always run...

Gunboat shield recovery:

At end of turn, if you did not shoot this turn and do not have a weapon disabled token, put a shield token on this card. (max 2 tokens)

At the start of combat, if you have no shields, you may take  Weapon Disabled to move all shield tokens on this card to your ship.

I like different recovery ideas thrown onto the table. Keep them coming! :D

I would change the first sentence. The fewer things players need to keep in mind without physical reminders, the better.

"At the beginning of the Combat phase, you may choose to assign a weapons disabled token to your ship to either place a shield token over this card (up to 2 shield tokens) or assign all shield tokens on this card to your ship (up to your shield value)."

Some unique pilot abilities or special Gunboat-only cards:

- "Weapon disabled tokens do not prevent you from performing (missile) attacks."

- "There is no limit on the amount of tokens you can place on the Advanced Shield Capacitors card." (Rakaydos' proposed card)

- "When attacking with your primary weapon, you may spend one shield token to roll one more attack die."

- "When defending, you may spend a shield token to reroll any amount of your defense dice."

- "When you are destroyed, before removing your ship, all enemy ships at range 1 of you are dealt a damage card."

I made some progress on the Gunboats bigger brother ^^

IMG_20160913_234200_zpslxqp2fbc.jpg

IMG_20160913_234213_zpscmc1idhg.jpg

That looks awesome!

I really can't think of an episode where that has happened.

Indeed, any time the Ghost has run into a Gozanti, they always run...

It was in season 1, I want to say near the middle, probably first half.  They took out the TIEs with the Phantom first.

[pics]

You do realize it's been about 5000 years right?
Yes, I do, and that's utterly irrelevant to my point. Well, actually, thought it was about four thousand, but either way you're missing the point.

My criticism is not that they did not simply take a KOTOR ship and replicate on in the Rebellion era; my criticism is that they took that ship design and made it far, far less pretty.

So? The Falcon ain't pretty either. You gonna tell me a Mon Cal is pretty? Like, in what world?

Who cares? This ship is smaller than the Hammerheads we know too. Quite frankly it is a completely different starship in function. It has a sodding cargo rack on the bottom, for goodness sake..!

I most certainly am going to tell you that!  Home One is pretty cool, Liberty is awesome!  So's the Falcon, obviously.  How can you be into Star Wars and not think the ships look brilliant?  How do you explain away silly things like s-foils etc without Rule of Cool to fall back on?

Yes, it's a different ship in function, but its obvious copyness means it's a constant reminder of something else.  It's like when Fred gets possessed by that demon/god/whatever it was in Angel and Wesley's super upset cos every time he sees her it reminds him of Fred.

I didn't say they were bad.

I said they were ugly. I like the Mon Cal stuff and Falcon just fine but they're ugly as sin. In a charming way.

I really, really really REALLY  REALLY do not appreciate the insinuation that I think the ships in Star Wars don't look brilliant. I can say one or two are ugly without saying every single one is ugly.

What is with you guys? This world of absolutes must be very hard to live in.

I didn't say they were bad.

I said they were ugly. I like the Mon Cal stuff and Falcon just fine but they're ugly as sin. In a charming way.

I really, really really REALLY  REALLY do not appreciate the insinuation that I think the ships in Star Wars don't look brilliant. I can say one or two are ugly without saying every single one is ugly.

What is with you guys? This world of absolutes must be very hard to live in.

Alright alright, calm down!  I don't know why you're getting in such a huff.  You seem very keen on your right to think awesome ships from the films are ugly, but not so keen on my right to think ships from the cartoons are ugly.

When it comes to the miniatures though, the Rebels ships look a bit cartoony and clean-cut alongside the rest of the X-Wing range.

The Rebel Aces, Imperial Aces, and Imperial Veterans miniatures look to me to be at least as stridently coloured as the Rebels TV Series ones.

When it comes to the miniatures though, the Rebels ships look a bit cartoony and clean-cut alongside the rest of the X-Wing range.

The Rebel Aces, Imperial Aces, and Imperial Veterans miniatures look to me to be at least as stridently coloured as the Rebels TV Series ones.

181st paint scheme is not cartoony, neither is the royal guard red, by comparison the ghost and shadow caster both look like micromachine toys rather than x-wing toys.

I agree they look further along that scale then the ones in the films, but not as far along as the things from Rebels.  I actually struggle to describe exactly what it is about that look, rather than just saying it's "cartoony".