FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

"State your name, pilot."

ODANAN

(the same I used for my first pilot, back in 1994 - once a TIE pilot, always a TIE pilot) 

Funnily enough, my username was also my clan tag/callsign for X-Wing Alliance back in the nineties.  It was a more civilized age.

Edited by FTS Gecko

But I don't know if you are going to like this:

Shield regen for everybody! (but with a LOT of drawbacks)

x_wing_miniatures_game___custom_elite_ca

I wish there were a category of upgrade cards called "Maneuvers", so this one wouldn't take the Elite slot. 

There is design room to make it a title, a modification, or why not, an entirely new category like Titles and Modifications are.

It would certainly be dangerous for the game to have too much regeneration going on without some kind of drawback.

I should make it evident for the rival when a gunboat is going to start regenerating, so that if they really want, they have some way to prevent it.

Let's think on the title we were talking about before, the one that does something about buffing the offense of this ship (like linked fire, or something with the cannon, or something like that).

Now, make it dual and in the other face place this card you proposed, (perhaps removing the weapon disabled token part?). 

The gunboat needs to flip it at the beginning of the planification phase, before setting dials.

That would represent that the gunboat is either in Attack Run mode or in Recovering mode, so their rivals can predict when it is going to start regenerating shields and are able to stop it from happening if they are able to.

By doing this, we could have regeneration as a general trait of all gunboats, not something tied to a single unique pilot or unique droid, without make every gunboat a Miranda or Poe nightmare.

It would also allow the gunboat player to fool their rivals into thinking that they are going to start doing speed-1 maneuvers to recover shields, and instead, actually do something else, more aggresive.

Edited by Azrapse

Defenders regenerating shields would be a terror for anyone.

With X7 they've become a force to be reckoned with, even more if the title is paired with Juke.

Fast, hard striking and resilient.

As stated above, shield regeneration should be well planned to prevent abuse, as it is a matter of fact that some matches become extremely frustrating. Like against high agility ships such as Corran Horn that also get to buff shields up again.

I've never fully understood why only scum and rebels get regen and imperials don't. Bah.

Defenders regenerating shields would be a terror for anyone.

With X7 they've become a force to be reckoned with, even more if the title is paired with Juke.

Fast, hard striking and resilient.

As stated above, shield regeneration should be well planned to prevent abuse, as it is a matter of fact that some matches become extremely frustrating. Like against high agility ships such as Corran Horn that also get to buff shields up again.

I've never fully understood why only scum and rebels get regen and imperials don't. Bah.

Maybe because imperial fighters generally don't have shields. But - in case of the Gunboat - it would fit.

There's been a lot of debate over the Gunboat's potential stats, and one of the biggest contentious points is the Evade value - 1 or 2? There's a good argument for both.

Evade value of 1 with regen? That would work.

Very good question. When I remember my TIE FIGHTER gaming experiences and imagine that a Tie Fighter is 3 evade, a Tie Bomber is 2 evade ... the Gunboat would be about 1,5 evade. If it would get means to regen shields, 1 evade would be ok. If not, 2 evade would be ok.

Isn't it obvious what's going on?  FFG don't want to produce their mini based on the version from TIE Fighter only for it to be superseded by a newly canonized model from the films.  Clearly they're waiting for Disney's awesome designers to get to work producing the best looking version of the Goat we've ever seen, and THEN they'll bring it to the game.

Isn't it obvious what's going on?  FFG don't want to produce their mini based on the version from TIE Fighter only for it to be superseded by a newly canonized model from the films.  Clearly they're waiting for Disney's awesome designers to get to work producing the best looking version of the Goat we've ever seen, and THEN they'll bring it to the game.

Less so the films than Rebels, I would think. With the addition of Thrawn, the chances of seeing a Gunboat probably triple (to a grand total of about 0.6%, sadly).

Less so the films than Rebels, I would think. With the addition of Thrawn, the chances of seeing a Gunboat probably triple (to a grand total of about 0.6%, sadly).

Ah, in that case, it may not be the best looking version of the Goat we've ever seen :(

(I'm not a fan of ship design in Rebels)

Well I think this should be a descendant of the old Hammerhead Class.

After it mated with the Ghost or some other squat, boxy, chubby looking Rebels ship?

After it mated with the Ghost or some other squat, boxy, chubby looking Rebels ship?

I think it looks like a NERF gun to be honest...

Rebels has a very stylised, animated look and feel to it, and I'm still not convinced it meshes well with the studio models from the films.

Vader got evil eyes, Stormtroopers got a silly facial expression, Tie Fighters are stubby, generic imperial officers are laughingstock ... all imperial is a ugly but Agent Kallus. I bet he will deflect to the Rebels at some point of time - just because he is not ugly. I've watched season 1 so far .... so I don't know that is happening thereafter.

Rebels has a very stylised, animated look and feel to it, and I'm still not convinced it meshes well with the studio models from the films.

Urgh I hate rebels designs they offered me as an artist, I'd be very sad if it was a rebels version we got.

No one wants to see the hairy guy cry.

[pics]

You do realize it's been about 5000 years right?
Yes, I do, and that's utterly irrelevant to my point. Well, actually, thought it was about four thousand, but either way you're missing the point.

My criticism is not that they did not simply take a KOTOR ship and replicate on in the Rebellion era; my criticism is that they took that ship design and made it far, far less pretty.

Edited by mazz0

[pics]

Yes, I do, and that's utterly irrelevant to my point. Well, actually, thought it was about four thousand, but either way you're missing the point.

My criticism is not that they did not simply take a KOTOR ship and replicate on in the Rebellion era; my criticism is that they took that ship design and made it far, far less pretty.

They tend to made all chunky-looking like toys for toddlers. Basically thats why I disliked Rebels in the first place.

Eh, I dunno - but compared to the (very first Star Wars ships any of us ever saw) CR90, the 'Rebels' version of this ship aesthetic fits far more stylistically than the KotOR design.

(Not that the KotOR design isn't cool, but it has a certain...I dunno, 'sharpness' to it that the KotOR models all seem to have, and feels more than a bit out of place with the 'found parts' aesthetic of the Original Trilogy.  Which, IMHO, the 'Rebels' inspiration from these transports seems to more fully embrace.)

Eh, I dunno - but compared to the (very first Star Wars ships any of us ever saw) CR90, the 'Rebels' version of this ship aesthetic fits far more stylistically than the KotOR design.

(Not that the KotOR design isn't cool, but it has a certain...I dunno, 'sharpness' to it that the KotOR models all seem to have, and feels more than a bit out of place with the 'found parts' aesthetic of the Original Trilogy.  Which, IMHO, the 'Rebels' inspiration from these transports seems to more fully embrace.)

Yeah, I agree the Old Republic aesthetic isn't the same as the Original Trilogy Rebellion aesthetic, and the Rebels aesthetic is closer.  Could have just been from a different company though.  The Lambda has a very different aesthetic from the YT-1300.

[pics]

So? The Falcon ain't pretty either. You gonna tell me a Mon Cal is pretty? Like, in what world?

Who cares? This ship is smaller than the Hammerheads we know too. Quite frankly it is a completely different starship in function. It has a sodding cargo rack on the bottom, for goodness sake..!

Urgh I hate rebels designs they offered me as an artist, I'd be very sad if it was a rebels version we got.

No one wants to see the hairy guy cry.

Artist here too. Doesn't qualify us for anything special in terms of judgement.

Times change, as does the world around us. Though the technology sometimes appears stagnant (TFA shows that it most certainly is not), the world in Star Wars changes a lot too.

These Hammerheads are not proud warships of The Republic anymore.

They're just lightly armed transports.

[pics]

So? The Falcon ain't pretty either. You gonna tell me a Mon Cal is pretty? Like, in what world?

Who cares? This ship is smaller than the Hammerheads we know too. Quite frankly it is a completely different starship in function. It has a sodding cargo rack on the bottom, for goodness sake..!

I most certainly am going to tell you that!  Home One is pretty cool, Liberty is awesome!  So's the Falcon, obviously.  How can you be into Star Wars and not think the ships look brilliant?  How do you explain away silly things like s-foils etc without Rule of Cool to fall back on?

Yes, it's a different ship in function, but its obvious copyness means it's a constant reminder of something else.  It's like when Fred gets possessed by that demon/god/whatever it was in Angel and Wesley's super upset cos every time he sees her it reminds him of Fred.

Edited by mazz0