FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

I'll be a heretic.  Never liked the Gunboat.  There, I said it.  I didn't like it when it it was in the original TIE fighter game and don;t like it now. I always felt it was intended to fill an operational role for the Imperials, rather than grow organically from an Imperial aesthetic. yeah, I know, it resembles the Lambda shuttle.  but or me, that makes as much sense as a smaller assault craft resembling a C-130.  I've always preferred the TIE-based starfighters.

Having said that, I would not be upset if they arrived.  I might not buy one, though, as to me, they just feel "wrong." But that's just a personal opinion.  It looks like lots of folks here love it, and, hey, I'm all about personal preference. 

Three honest questions:

- Do you think the Gunboat would be "wronger" than any other controversial ship released for this game? Like the TIE Punisher, the Raider, the K-Wing, half of the ships in Scum, the E-Wing, the several clones of TIE Fighters?

- Do you think the Empire should look like a realistic military organization, or more like a cartoony evil organization?

- Why?

I'll try to answer:  

1) I think the Punisher and Raider look right at home in the Empire, though the Punisher is a BIT odd.  For some reason, the K-wing doesn;t bother me at all, though I do not like the E-wing design at all.  No problem with the TIE clones.  I like TIEs.  I'm not a Scum fan, in general, so I don;t have strong feelings about them.  

2) Star Wars is not a "realistic" genre.  I'd call the Empire more "pulpy" than cartoony, but there is a certain amount of mustache twirling involved, and it's one reason the Empire make fun villains.  If they were "realistic," they would be less fun, IMO. 

3) A great deal of this simply comes down to personal preference.  I don't particularly like the Gunboat, but that's largely because it doesn't fit my personal criteria for what I want in an Empire fighter.  The roar of the TIE fighter runs deeply in me.  

Einstein wasn't so great, basically every grade schooler knows E=MC2 so we have like entire generations of Einsteins. There's even a show called Little Einsteins and there's five of them. Nothing really impressive.

With the Punisher they took a good design and made it better by adding more of what made it good. With the gunboat they thought 'maybe it's the wings?' so they added two little dinky ones then took out the troops and added missiles. The missile boat is even sillier. Getting rid of the biggest wing and adding two more pods with duck tape or something. Neither of those ships can even drop bombs so they'll never be worth it. 

If we wanted cannons and ordnance in one chassis they should jsut errata the Punisher to include cannons. That'd make more sense than adding an entire ship.

Punisher errat to add a cannon, now I know you are either really dumb (which I doubt, though if you are serious on the Einstein part you flat out are ignorant!) or just trolling!

I honestly think you are just a troll at this point on this thread, McFoy. You are fine at times on other threads, but on this one you are seriously just annoying.

Please just go away.

Punisher errat to add a cannon, now I know you are either really dumb (which I doubt, though if you are serious on the Einstein part you flat out are ignorant!) or just trolling!

What does your heart tell you?

That at times he is an idiot, and mostly is just a troll. But dont miss that first part...his logic is pretty terrible, even a troll that isnt an idiot should at least try ot make sure their logic stays on course.

Einstein wasn't so great, basically every grade schooler knows E=MC2 so we have like entire generations of Einsteins. There's even a show called Little Einsteins and there's five of them. Nothing really impressive.

With the Punisher they took a good design and made it better by adding more of what made it good. With the gunboat they thought 'maybe it's the wings?' so they added two little dinky ones then took out the troops and added missiles. The missile boat is even sillier. Getting rid of the biggest wing and adding two more pods with duck tape or something. Neither of those ships can even drop bombs so they'll never be worth it. 

If we wanted cannons and ordnance in one chassis they should jsut errata the Punisher to include cannons. That'd make more sense than adding an entire ship.

I honestly think you are just a troll at this point on this thread, McFoy. You are fine at times on other threads, but on this one you are seriously just annoying.

Please just go away.

I'm glad that I am occasionally tolerable. Einstein was a standup guy, he had some pretty wacky hair and there's the one picture where he is sticking his tongue out so i guess he had a sense of humor too. His most famous works though are just theories, anybody can come up with theories. I have a few I could share if you want. So yeah, nothing impressive.

Adding a cannon to the Punisher would be really easy, just release a title. If they do that then you have everything you want from the gunboat available in game in one ship, cannons, missiles, torpedoes, slow dial, beefy ship, system slots with the added benefit of boost and bombs. It's basically the perfect ship with a proper imperial aesthetic.

I'm glad that I am occasionally tolerable. Einstein was a standup guy, he had some pretty wacky hair and there's the one picture where he is sticking his tongue out so i guess he had a sense of humor too. His most famous works though are just theories, anybody can come up with theories. I have a few I could share if you want. So yeah, nothing impressive.

Adding a cannon to the Punisher would be really easy, just release a title. If they do that then you have everything you want from the gunboat available in game in one ship, cannons, missiles, torpedoes, slow dial, beefy ship, system slots with the added benefit of boost and bombs. It's basically the perfect ship with a proper imperial aesthetic.

Einstein's theories are just like many scientisteories sicne there is always a tiny tiny chance that they may be disproven...so dont under sell his theories one bit. Especially since in science theories are all many can get, ever, and that is because science is that way.

I'm sure your theories in whatever they may be, and the same goes for mine with my profession of history (though some have been proven through archaeological evidence) are no where near as extraordinary as Einstein's so please dont think they are, I sure dont.

yes youve been tolerable more than once in thepast, today not so much!

As for adding a cannon to the Interdictor/Punisher, yeah I highly doubt FFG will ever do that...and it still would be overcosted (even if they did it like the Defender).

And it wouldnt have a proper Imperial aesthitic, we've already established that the Punisher does suffer from EUitis, that you hate so much! while the gunboat doesnt, and fits the Imperial aesthetic better due to its similarity to the Lambda but still not berserk look since it doesnt have too many **** tubes on it (like we also established that you want to put on it).

Edited by knavelead

I am skipping all the silly Einstein trolling and flame-bait you keep on smearing on your posts. I had enough of that back when both the Internet and I were younger. It was fun for a while, but been there, done that.

Still, there is some little pearls of honest discussion hiding below the all that chaff, so I will focus on them. I hope you don't mind. I will let the others here feed your trolling as they please.

I am not going to convince you. That is impossible nowadays with most debates, where two  throw arguments at their peer while remaining impermeable to the other's arguments. Most people don't debate to find the truth, but to shove theirs into everyone else's face.

However, I will rebate the two points that I quote.

The TIE Bomber is a good design, in the sense that it has quality. It displays an entire new role for a ship, while retaining the identity of being a TIE. Those were the goals for the design and it nailed them. It's different enough to be something else, while similar enough to be recognizable. Also, it looks functional for its role.

What about the Gunboat? You may like it or you may not for personal taste. But it follows the same principles than the general design of the TIE Bomber or other good designs. 

It needs to fulfill a totally different role than that of the lambda, while somehow reminding of it. In particular, it needs to be a single man fighter with atmospheric dexterity, while able to act as a semi-heavy strike fighter.

I do think its design nails the goals too. Smaller hull, elongates cockpit for better visibility, s-foil winglets for atmospheric maneuverability (first deployment of the Gunboat was for protecting and supporting AT-AT against rebel fighters), sizeable cannon and missile pods for their main role, while still looking somewhat bulky and easy to hit because of their multidirectional wingspan because it has to be a heavy fighter, not a nimble interceptor.

It looks similar to what it has to look similar to, but it is at the same time totally different, and above everything, it looks functional.

Now, the TIE Punisher.

You say that the gunboat is a something like a rushed or careless design, while you praise the Punisher.

The Punisher IS a careless and rushed design. It's not just my opinion. It just is.

The Punisher appeared first on Galactic Battlegrounds. A clone of Age of Empires II with a Star Wars skin. If you have played any of the Age of Empires series, you know that every faction have some units that fulfill a particular role, and you can upgrade them. Whenever they are upgraded, their looks changes a little bit by adding more details or more armor pieces to it.

That is intentional, because the unit is supposed to be the same, only slitghtly more "bling" on it.

The same happened in Galactic Battlegrounds. You started with the TIE Bomber, and any successive upgrade you acquired for bombers as reflected on the looks of the ship by adding more chunks of hull, engines or pods.

The first upgrade to the TIE Bomber was this:

TIEHeavy-SWGB.png

Basically just adding another pod. The second upgrade was what we now know as the TIE Punisher. Just adding another pod.

Is that a good way to design new ships? What happened with "Stay similar, but look totally different"?

The design of Galactic Battlegrounds' "TIE Bomber upgrade tier 1" and "upgrade tier 2" is just consistent with the internal logic of that series of games. They weren't meant to be different units. They were just the same unit pimped once or twice with extra upgrades.

You cannot use that kind of design for actually creating an entirely new ship because that would be beyond lazy and derivative. That is what a 3D artist needing to complete tier 2 and tier 3 versions of other hundred units in the game would do. Something rushed and careless just to get it done.

The gunboat doesn't look like a lambda pimped in 5 minutes to get it done. It is a design done from the ground up to make it work as a strike fighter, while retaining the trademarked "origami swan" shape that is common to all Cygnus Spaceworks ships (did you know "Cygnus" is "Swan" in latin?). All ships that you create that must resemble a swan will somehow remind of the lambda shuttle, because of course it was the first one we saw.

The thing I dislike most about the TIE Punisher isn't just the fact that it's a Bo.ber with a couple of additional pods, it's the fact that the entire model looks oversized.

The pods are bigger than the Bomber's pods, with wings are bigger than the Bomber's wings - it looks like it was designed and built at a different scale to the rest of FFG's TIE Series.

The thing I dislike most about the TIE Punisher isn't just the fact that it's a Bo.ber with a couple of additional pods, it's the fact that the entire model looks oversized.

The pods are bigger than the Bomber's pods, with wings are bigger than the Bomber's wings - it looks like it was designed and built at a different scale to the rest of FFG's TIE Series.

I'm pretty sure the pods and the cockpit module are all the same size as the bomber modules. I was checking when I first got the egg bomber. The wings are definitely larger, but the original wings would look silly and undersized on the Punisher. Just like the Bomber has larger wings than the Advanced.

Doesn't excuse how silly it can look next to other TIEs tho.

I am skipping all the silly Einstein trolling and flame-bait you keep on smearing on your posts. I had enough of that back when both the Internet and I were younger. It was fun for a while, but been there, done that.

Still, there is some little pearls of honest discussion hiding below the all that chaff, so I will focus on them. I hope you don't mind. I will let the others here feed your trolling as they please.

I am not going to convince you. That is impossible nowadays with most debates, where two  throw arguments at their peer while remaining impermeable to the other's arguments. Most people don't debate to find the truth, but to shove theirs into everyone else's face.

The TIE Bomber is a good design, in the sense that it has quality. It displays an entire new role for a ship, while retaining the identity of being a TIE. Those were the goals for the design and it nailed them. It's different enough to be something else, while similar enough to be recognizable. Also, it looks functional for its role.

What about the Gunboat? You may like it or you may not for personal taste. But it follows the same principles than the general design of the TIE Bomber or other good designs. 

It needs to fulfill a totally different role than that of the lambda, while somehow reminding of it. In particular, it needs to be a single man fighter with atmospheric dexterity, while able to act as a semi-heavy strike fighter.

I do think its design nails the goals too. Smaller hull, elongates cockpit for better visibility, s-foil winglets for atmospheric maneuverability (first deployment of the Gunboat was for protecting and supporting AT-AT against rebel fighters), sizeable cannon and missile pods for their main role, while still looking somewhat bulky and easy to hit because of their multidirectional wingspan because it has to be a heavy fighter, not a nimble interceptor.

It looks similar to what it has to look similar to, but it is at the same time totally different, and above everything, it looks functional.

Now, the TIE Punisher.

You say that the gunboat is a something like a rushed or careless design, while you praise the Punisher.

The Punisher IS a careless and rushed design. It's not just my opinion. It just is.

The Punisher appeared first on Galactic Battlegrounds. A clone of Age of Empires II with a Star Wars skin. If you have played any of the Age of Empires series, you know that every faction have some units that fulfill a particular role, and you can upgrade them. Whenever they are upgraded, their looks changes a little bit by adding more details or more armor pieces to it.

That is intentional, because the unit is supposed to be the same, only slitghtly more "bling" on it.

The same happened in Galactic Battlegrounds. You started with the TIE Bomber, and any successive upgrade you acquired for bombers as reflected on the looks of the ship by adding more chunks of hull, engines or pods.

TIEHeavy-SWGB.png

Basically just adding another pod. The second upgrade was what we now know as the TIE Punisher. Just adding another pod.

Is that a good way to design new ships? What happened with "Stay similar, but look totally different"?

The design of Galactic Battlegrounds' "TIE Bomber upgrade tier 1" and "upgrade tier 2" is just consistent with the internal logic of that series of games. They weren't meant to be different units. They were just the same unit pimped once or twice with extra upgrades.

You cannot use that kind of design for actually creating an entirely new ship because that would be beyond lazy and derivative. That is what a 3D artist needing to complete tier 2 and tier 3 versions of other hundred units in the game would do. Something rushed and careless just to get it done.

The gunboat doesn't look like a lambda pimped in 5 minutes to get it done. It is a design done from the ground up to make it work as a strike fighter, while retaining the trademarked "origami swan" shape that is common to all Cygnus Spaceworks ships (did you know "Cygnus" is "Swan" in latin?). All ships that you create that must resemble a swan will somehow remind of the lambda shuttle, because of course it was the first one we saw.

Where is the 100 likes button? 

Edited by Odanan

Einstein's theories are just like many scientisteories sicne there is always a tiny tiny chance that they may be disproven...so dont under sell his theories one bit. Especially since in science theories are all many can get, ever, and that is because science is that way.

I'm sure your theories in whatever they may be, and the same goes for mine with my profession of history (though some have been proven through archaeological evidence) are no where near as extraordinary as Einstein's so please dont think they are, I sure dont.

yes youve been tolerable more than once in thepast, today not so much!

As for adding a cannon to the Interdictor/Punisher, yeah I highly doubt FFG will ever do that...and it still would be overcosted (even if they did it like the Defender).

And it wouldnt have a proper Imperial aesthitic, we've already established that the Punisher does suffer from EUitis, that you hate so much! while the gunboat doesnt, and fits the Imperial aesthetic better due to its similarity to the Lambda but still not berserk look since it doesnt have too many **** tubes on it (like we also established that you want to put on it).

With no point reduction you can slap a mangler cannon on it for a total of 25 points, fly four of those puppies and there you have it. Even if it suffered from 'EUitis' (a gem of a term, where did you come up with that?) it's still distinctly a TIE thus of the imperial aesthetic.

Now, the TIE Punisher.

TIEHeavy-SWGB.png

You can bypass the Einstein bit, thats fine. The next stage is to misquote him in stupid voices and that doesn't translate at all into text anyway. It's funny how you mention the tiny pearls honest discussion whereas I see tiny pearls of awareness that just aren't quite on the surface yet. All these arguments you make basically amount to 'The Punisher is stupid while the Gunboat has this long storied history and is capable of this and that and this and that'. It's fluff you use to prop up your standpoint but none of it matters in the context of why it should be released. I'm arguing from a position of strength because the Punisher has a already been released, any issues you have with it besides how it looks are moot because it's been invested in enough that they'll fix it as they see fit.

You're right that neither of us will convince the other especially since we seem to be discussing subjective elements primarily.

Does the Punisher look silly? Yes absolutely.

Do I still like it? Yes absolutely

Why? I love the TIE bomber and this to me is just a TIE bomber+

I didn't mean to imply that the gunboat design was rushed or careless, I know for a fact that I took meticulous care when I drew my spaceships. 7 year old me can be credited with the following designs:

Gunboat, Punisher, YT-2400, E wing, A-9, several uglies, the quadjumper, and a rad looking lizard with jet boosters and rocket launchers on either side of him.

There are certainly similarities between the shuttle and gunboat, they both have more than one wing for example. I think though that the common folk who don't have 100 TOD's or dare go into this thread would make the connection that easily and see a case of 'you got your star citizen into my star wars' instead. Still not opposed to it's release I just don't see it as inevitable like you all do. 

Still not opposed to it's release I just don't see it as inevitable like you all do. 

I do not think it will be released anymore.

In my opinion, the release of the TIE/SF Fighter marked the the point of no return, since it already almost fills the "Imperial B-Wing" role the Gunboat was supposed to fill.

Edited by Azrapse

Still not opposed to it's release I just don't see it as inevitable like you all do.

In my opinion, the release of the TIE/SF Fighter marked the the point of no return, since it already almost fills the "Imperial B-Wing" role the Gunboat was supposed to fill.

I honestly never believed it will be released if it has such a fanbase and was ignored for 8 editions.

I honestly never believed it will be released if it has such a fanbase and was ignored for 8 editions.

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!!!!

GUNBOAT FOREVER!!!

10 waves don't mean anything! It might take 20 waves, 100 waves, GUNBOAT WILL BE OURS!!!!

Wait, 100 waves?? Um...ok maybe not that long, that's just a wee bit crazy.

GUNBOAT!

The Tie/sf is supposed to be the imperial B-Wing? :lol:

I honestly thought the Aggressor was supposed to fill the turret fighter role. The /sf is nothing more than a suped up /FO, which isn't much more than a modernised /ln.

The TIE Defender fit the role of a Assault/Superiority fighter.

I honestly thought the Aggressor was supposed to fill the turret fighter role. The /sf is nothing more than a suped up /FO, which isn't much more than a modernised /ln.

And the Tie Aggressors role is still there, isn't it? The one and only turreted TIE.

Um, yeah, what Starkiller said. The TIE/SF is not, not, not a B-Wing; nor would the Empire want a B-Wing or its supposed "equivalent." Did I say it was not a B-Wing. I don't really think that much of the TIE/SF as I haven't really seen one and certainly not played it...but it's not, not, not....and not.

And the Tie Aggressors role is still there, isn't it? The one and only turreted TIE.

I really wish I played galaxies to enjoy Heavy Lines and Aggressors. Yes the actual role is still there, I don't even remember what the /sf is supposed to fulfill.

I really wish I played galaxies to enjoy Heavy Lines and Aggressors. Yes the actual role is still there, I don't even remember what the /sf is supposed to fulfill.

In a world where only Tie/sf and Tie/fo exist, the tactical role for the Tie/sf would be a destroyer, kind of.

Maybe a heavy space superiority fighter ..

Edited by TheRealStarkiller