FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

My new headcannon is that the the Punisher and Gunboat were both developed to fill the same role and in the best timeline Cygnus beat out Sienar. So much so that they were also awarded the Missileboat contract when they needed another TIE killer.

Its possible, although the Punisher can carry more and because of newer lore made with the Punisher, theirs ordnance it carries that other bombers, or attack craft, can't.

In theory it should always be the Imps heaviest hitter.

Imperial ships that don't 'fit' the aesthetic (I.e. non-TIEs):

I-7 Howlrunner

A-9 Vigilance

Xg-1 GUNBOAT

xm-1 Missile Boat

And everything from Clone Wars, except the Eta-2.

Dig deep enough and you can find many more.

Oh, and I don't know if anyone ever noticed or cared but TIE designs always kept their weapons on the fuselage instead of the wings UNTIL the Interceptor added pointy guns on pointy wings. Even the TAP and Striker follow the old weapons Loadout. And the Interceptor (to me) was a very lazy design. If they could just add more guns on a TIE Fighter then WHY DIDNT THEY DO THAT IN THE OTHER MOVIES???? Oh well.

And the Phantom still looks like they stuck together some Legos, the Falcons cockpit and 3/4ths of an interceptor's wings to make an obvious Ugly Design that would fit in with the Scum faction of it was painted purple and pea green.

I know those look like kittile pointy guns, but if you look at yhem in sw complete vehicles, it looks like the laser cannons are inside the the beam they are part of, and run the length up to the targeting computer, its possible it fills the entire beam, the longest parts of the solar panel, the artist didn't make art showing the rear part of the panels exposed.

This is the freighter

LambaShuttle1a.jpg

this is the fighter

AssaultGunboat1.jpg

Both from the same manufacturer: Cygnus Spaceworks

The one model fits the Imperial space ships aesthetic, the other don't?

Please EXPLAIN this to me, young Einstein.

Well... the thing thats missing that teally really links those two ships is running lights. Add more light bulbs all over the star wing and it will be groovy gravy.

Despite how I make it seem on occasion I don't oppose it's inclusion, I just find the fanaticism amusing (alarming). You folks just get reliably riled up.

I don't think the fanaticism is real. Do not mistake a meme with a sect.

Asking for the Gunboat and getting once and again ignored by FFG, that instead releases totally unrequested, uninspired TIEs, has become something like a running joke. A meme that is copied/pasted in threads in the same way that facepalm-Picard or that scary grinning baby wookie are.

It's like saying "There is a 200+ pages thread where people request a popular ship, but they act like it doesn't exists. *rolleyes*" with a single word: "GUNBOAT!" (or BUNGOAT lately).

Also, it's not like they MUST include the ship or we leave with a tantrum.

It's just that is has been so long time, and pile up so many disappointments, that in its own way, it has become almost comical to ***** about it, even for those of us that would like to see it in the game.

For example, you should expect some "Gunboat!" memes being posted in the upcoming release of the TIE Pac-Man (Mining Guild TIE). A ship that nobody requested, nobody wants, has no interest, but will eventually come becase, as much as FFG has been scratching the EU-barrel in the last few waves, so they are doing the same with the Canon-barrel.

One is a fully realized design with actual screen time in a non niche format. 

The other is from my Grade 2 art book and I would like it back please.

Also, one is a fully realized physical model filled with detail to the brim, and the other is a low-poly count model for a game from 1993, retexturized.

Do you want to see how the lambda shuttle looks at that poly count?

Like this:

lambda1.gif

Also, one is a fully realized physical model filled with detail to the brim, and the other is a low-poly count model for a game from 1993, retexturized...

Yes, comparing a studio model from a Hollywood film to a polygon model from an early 90's video game is pretty stupid.

I mean, hobbyists can create better models nowadays than those seen in those early 90's games, so just imagine what the developers at FFG could do using modern design tools.

Maybe something like this:

AG_zps7lzho6cd.jpg

My new headcannon is that the the Punisher and Gunboat were both developed to fill the same role and in the best timeline Cygnus beat out Sienar. So much so that they were also awarded the Missileboat contract when they needed another TIE killer.

Its possible, although the Punisher can carry more and because of newer lore made with the Punisher, theirs ordnance it carries that other bombers, or attack craft, can't.

In theory it should always be the Imps heaviest hitter.

Imperial ships that don't 'fit' the aesthetic (I.e. non-TIEs):

I-7 Howlrunner

A-9 Vigilance

Xg-1 GUNBOAT

xm-1 Missile Boat

And everything from Clone Wars, except the Eta-2.

Dig deep enough and you can find many more.

Oh, and I don't know if anyone ever noticed or cared but TIE designs always kept their weapons on the fuselage instead of the wings UNTIL the Interceptor added pointy guns on pointy wings. Even the TAP and Striker follow the old weapons Loadout. And the Interceptor (to me) was a very lazy design. If they could just add more guns on a TIE Fighter then WHY DIDNT THEY DO THAT IN THE OTHER MOVIES???? Oh well.

And the Phantom still looks like they stuck together some Legos, the Falcons cockpit and 3/4ths of an interceptor's wings to make an obvious Ugly Design that would fit in with the Scum faction of it was painted purple and pea green.

I know those look like kittile pointy guns, but if you look at yhem in sw complete vehicles, it looks like the laser cannons are inside the the beam they are part of, and run the length up to the targeting computer, its possible it fills the entire beam, the longest parts of the solar panel, the artist didn't make art showing the rear part of the panels exposed.

This is the freighter

LambaShuttle1a.jpg

this is the fighter

AssaultGunboat1.jpg

Both from the same manufacturer: Cygnus Spaceworks

The one model fits the Imperial space ships aesthetic, the other don't?

Please EXPLAIN this to me, young Einstein.

Well... the thing thats missing that teally really links those two ships is running lights. Add more light bulbs all over the star wing and it will be groovy gravy.

Psst, that GUNBOAT render is missing something else kinda important: GUNS.

Welcome back BKL, I thought you were gone for good.

Speaking as a BOATHEAD I have enjoyed all this attention these older designs have gotten even if FFG has been lax in bringing little plastic Starwings to our stores. Tongue-in-cheek or absoluty serious, it's good for the 'BOATS.

The Gunboat threadmaker challenged his fellow posters with this question. Did FFG create everything that exists? A poster bravely replied...The young poster's name? Albert Einstein!

Sorry McFoy, you are far from Einstein in much of anything, from what I've seen here today.

If you really respected Einstein you wouldnt have made that silly post either.

But on the subject of the Gunboat, yourtaste obviously varies from most of ours. You seem to like the Punisher, I and I'm guessing at least several others do not. Fine.

But when you say that you like the Lambda and that it is pleasing to you aesthetically, and then say that the gunboat isnt Imperial looking enough for you or pleasing to you. Your argument has completely dissolved.

Especially when you say it has suffered from EUitis..the Punisher is suffering from exactly that problem look at that damned ugly thing!

Oh and not to mention in the game it was released it didnt fly in space all that much (if at all) that I can remember- the TIE Interdictor was mostly a skimmer...and for some reason the designer that made it for Xwing, decided he liked the Multiple-tumor-TIE-bomber enough but not its name! Then why even bring it into Xwing if you really dont like it enough to use its name.

The point is that your argument on aesthetics is situational to the person, and yet bringing up EUitis is not going to cut it, when the same argument can be used to even greater effect on the ship that got released instead of the missilboat and Gunboat, the Punisher..it has EUitis possibly worse than any ship in the entire Star Wars universe!!!!!

Purely aesthetic, I won't delve into design mantra.

You won't get into discussion on design, yet that is one of the many reasons some of us WANT the Gunboat, and the reason I want the MissileBoat.

The SLAM action on the Missile Boat is the reason that the Kwing and Missile Boat not the Punisher should have been released together....but FFG wanted the TIE Engine Mk2 to come out, which they should have doen in the following wave, or released Imperial SLAM MissileBoat the next wave.

Then when we get to talking about the design of the Gunboat, it would be a Imperial version of the BTL-A4 Ywing for Imperials but using a cannon, and missiles (with hopefully an option of torps instead). That would be very different from almost anythign the Imperials have and would be amazing from a game play perspective!!!

What did the punisher bring into to the table, hmmm, a Systems slot on the TIE bomber and some shields, not really all that much. Something that could have been accomplished with a title for the bomber like the Advanced (though I admit that is copying things).

Though both the Gunboat and Missileboat could have had a Systems slot, and both have shields, so boom,the Punisher becomes irrelevant if theyd of made them (and honestly I hope Punisher does become irrelevant if and when the release the boats).

Also, one is a fully realized physical model filled with detail to the brim, and the other is a low-poly count model for a game from 1993, retexturized...

Yes, comparing a studio model from a Hollywood film to a polygon model from an early 90's video game is pretty stupid.

I mean, hobbyists can create better models nowadays than those seen in those early 90's games, so just imagine what the developers at FFG could do using modern design tools.

Maybe something like this:

AG_zps7lzho6cd.jpg

I needed to quote on this. Niiiice model!

I love TIE Bombers so the punisher is a mixed bag for me. It looks like a suped up Super Bomber that was designed in a modular fashion, but ignores the other design solution of replacing the 4 ordnance pods with two larger pods with the same capacity, or a unified fusalage similar to the Scimitar only larger (or longer as the case may be...schwing!).

And I'm still waiting for the:

TIE Scout (basically replaced by TIE shuttle, mix feelings for that too)

TIE Avenger (already got two advancedeseses...need a third?)

Stormtrooper TRN: needs to be more than a Lambda without wings

I love these designs, but they aren't coming to us any time soon. But the GUNBOAT? It is a star (wing), the cavelry coming to the rescue, a true multirole fighter that can be designed that way from the start, unlike the poor X-wing.

GUNBOAT!

The Gunboat threadmaker challenged his fellow posters with this question. Did FFG create everything that exists? A poster bravely replied...The young poster's name? Albert Einstein!

Sorry McFoy, you are far from Einstein in much of anything, from what I've seen here today.

But on the subject of the Gunboat, yourtaste obviously varies from most of ours. You seem to like the Punisher, I and I'm guessing at least several others do not. Fine.

But when you say that you like the Lambda and that it is pleasing to you aesthetically, and then say that the gunboat isnt Imperial looking enough for you or pleasing to you. Your argument has completely dissolved.

Especially when you say it has suffered from EUitis..the Punisher is suffering from exactly that problem look at that damned ugly thing!

Oh and not to mention in the game it was released it didnt fly in space all that much (if at all) that I can remember- the TIE Interdictor was mostly a skimmer...and for some reason the designer that made it for Xwing, decided he liked the Multiple-tumor-TIE-bomber enough but not its name! Then why even bring it into Xwing if you really dont like it enough to use its name.

The point is that your argument on aesthetics is situational to the person, and yet bringing up EUitis is not going to cut it, when the same argument can be used to even greater effect on the ship that got released instead of the missilboat and Gunboat, the Punisher..it has EUitis possibly worse than any ship in the entire Star Wars universe!!!!!

You won't get into discussion on design, yet that is one of the many reasons some of us WANT the Gunboat, and the reason I want the MissileBoat.

The SLAM action on the Missile Boat is the reason that the Kwing and Missile Boat not the Punisher should have been released together....but FFG wanted the TIE Engine Mk2 to come out, which they should have doen in the following wave, or released Imperial SLAM MissileBoat the next wave.

Then when we get to talking about the design of the Gunboat, it would be a Imperial version of the BTL-A4 Ywing for Imperials but using a cannon, and missiles (with hopefully an option of torps instead). That would be very different from almost anythign the Imperials have and would be amazing from a game play perspective!!!

What did the punisher bring into to the table, hmmm, a Systems slot on the TIE bomber and some shields, not really all that much. Something that could have been accomplished with a title for the bomber like the Advanced (though I admit that is copying things).

Though both the Gunboat and Missileboat could have had a Systems slot, and both have shields, so boom,the Punisher becomes irrelevant if theyd of made them (and honestly I hope Punisher does become irrelevant if and when the release the boats).

I'm definitely no Einstein, I certainly won't be credited with the invention of the Chronosphere or Prism towers. Not sure why I should respect a video game character though.

I love the shuttle model and I adore the bomber model. Punisher is just more bomber so how could I not love it. The gunboat has similar structure to the shuttle but loses the cockpit and downward nose and the wings don't go down far enough. Possibly if the missile pods on the side were rounder and there were 4 of them instead of 2. I would also adjust the wings so the they sort of deploy around the ordnance pods and had solar panels on them as well. That'd be a good change.

As far as design goes, you all have pretty thoroughly fleshed that out. I'll still maintain that its roles have already been supplanted though by the Defender (Cannons), Punisher (Ordnance), and Shuttlle (Cygnus Aesthetic). 

Edited by McFoy

One is a fully realized design with actual screen time in a non niche format. The other is from my Grade 2 art book and I would like it back please.

You meant you want this Grade 2 art project back:

B86EEDEC-84EC-4FFA-9304-00B307CCEDB2.png

That's also one of mine. I drew inspiration from my micro machines.

I'm definitely no Einstein, I certainly won't be credited with the invention of the Chronosphere or Prism towers. Not sure why I should respect a video game character though.

I love the shuttle model and I adore the bomber model. Punisher is just more bomber so how could I not love it. The gunboat has similar structure to the shuttle but loses the cockpit and downward nose and the wings don't go down far enough. Possibly if the missile pods on the side were rounder and there were 4 of them instead of 2. I would also adjust the wings so the they sort of deploy around the ordnance pods and had solar panels on them as well. That'd be a good change.

As far as design goes, you all have pretty thoroughly fleshed that out. I'll still maintain that its roles have already been supplanted though by the Defender (Cannons), Punisher (Ordnance), and Shuttlle (Cygnus Aesthetic).

Further disgracing one of the greastest minds in history...even if trying to get in a good videogame reference doesnt fully excuse you, comes close though, but moving on.

The TIE Interdictor/Punisher "is more bomber"- is the reason I said it suffers from EUitis, yet you like it and fault the gunboat for EUitis, that is a ne and special kind of denial and stupidity if I've ever seen it.

That is the reason the Punisher looks so dumb, they tried to out-do a good design by one upping it by putting on more stupid pods. ..and it came out as if a Tie Bomber got cancer or got "terrible Pod implants"

Look at the TIE Striker now, it looks fine, at least pod wise, since there is a thing called "less is more."

And you really dont seem to understand that.

Then you say that the gunboat needs 4 pods, but have you looked at the Missile Boat it has 4 pods, so you must LOVE THAT if you use your logic..but your logic isnt actually logic since your logic isnt logic, its complete wishywashy opinion that you cant even stick with one set of reasoning of why you like things.

and also by your logic (aka wishywashy opinions) you should like the gunboat twice as much more than you like the Lambda. It has 2 missile pods on it, and 2 more wings on it than a Lambda . But again your logic isnt logic and isnt sound.

And lastly the part about the gunboat being supplanted by the TIE Defender, and the Punisher and the Lambda shuttle...um what? It is a bit of each of the first two in game play, actually mixing pars of both of them into one chassis...so thus isnt supplanted by them.

To get what the gunboat brings to the table youd have to take both a Punisher and a Defender in the same list, and then each of them would do only half of what a Gunboat could do! Half at best!

And then you think that the Lambda brings the aesthetic to the table well how is that gameplay? Oh ight it isnt!

Most if not all of your argument is really really poor!!!!

Edited by knavelead

Further disgracing one of the greastest minds in history...even if trying to get in a good videogame reference doesnt fully excuse you, comes close though, but moving on.

The TIE Interdictor/Punisher "is more bomber"- is the reason I said it suffers from EUitis, yet you like it and fault the gunboat for EUitis, that is a ne and special kind of denial and stupidity if I've ever seen it.

That is the reason the Punisher looks so dumb, they tried to out-do a good design by one upping it by putting on more stupid pods. ..and it came out as if a Tie Bomber got cancer or got "terrible Pod implants"

Look at the TIE Striker now, it looks fine, at least pod wise, since there is a thing called "less is more."

And you really dont seem to understand that.

Then you say that the gunboat needs 4 pods, but have you looked at the Missile Boat it has 4 pods, so you must LOVE THAT if you use your logic..but your logic isnt actually logic since your logic isnt logic, its complete wishywashy opinion that you cant even stick with one set of reasoning of why you like things.

and also by your logic (aka wishywashy opinions) you should like the gunboat twice as much more than you like the Lambda. It has 2 missile pods on it, and 2 more wings on it than a Lambda . But again your logic isnt logic and isnt sound.

And lastly the part about the gunboat being supplanted by the TIE Defender, and the Punisher and the Lambda shuttle...um what? It is a bit of each of the first two in game play, actually mixing pars of both of them into one chassis...so thus isnt supplanted by them.

To get what the gunboat brings to the table youd have to take both a Punisher and a Defender in the same list, and then each of them would do only half of what a Gunboat could do! Half at best!

And then you think that the Lambda brings the aesthetic to the table well how is that gameplay? Oh ight it isnt!

Most if not all of your argument is really really poor!!!!

Einstein wasn't so great, basically every grade schooler knows E=MC2 so we have like entire generations of Einsteins. There's even a show called Little Einsteins and there's five of them. Nothing really impressive.

With the Punisher they took a good design and made it better by adding more of what made it good. With the gunboat they thought 'maybe it's the wings?' so they added two little dinky ones then took out the troops and added missiles. The missile boat is even sillier. Getting rid of the biggest wing and adding two more pods with duck tape or something. Neither of those ships can even drop bombs so they'll never be worth it. 

If we wanted cannons and ordnance in one chassis they should jsut errata the Punisher to include cannons. That'd make more sense than adding an entire ship. 

Edited by McFoy

Iirc, TIE Interdictors/Punishers were designed to carry a severe load of ordnance into places Star Destroyers couldn't, such as Asteroid fields. Scimitar Assault Bombers were the modern Imperial upgrade to TIE Bombers and were more efficient and cost effective than the Dupe designs.

TIE Defenders outclass every fighter except the fastest interceptors and super-heavy bombers in their roles. Trying to compare overgen or superiority craft to multi-role strike-fighters never works, much to the chagrin of F-35 fanboys. The Gunboat fit the niche of a Assault Fighter-bomber to take on missions regular TIEs couldn't. The only Imperial craft capable of doing the same mission profile was the TIE Defender, which is over costed and had the facilities to produce it destroyed during Zaarin's attempted coup along with the Avengers. I'm excluding TIE Oppressor s and TIE Hunters for a reason, one was an experimental craft and the other was solely used by Storm Commandos.

The most important thing you forget is that all three roles you blurted out are subjective. Starwings are cheaper than Defenders even if you get rid of ion cannons or trtractor. Punishers are completely situational and over priced, and lastly you threw in aesthetically because you have no real credibility to your opinion. The only real reason why you're not going to see a Gunboat is because of FFG comforming to Disney and riding the New gen hype train.

Iirc, TIE Interdictors/Punishers were designed to carry a severe load of ordnance into places Star Destroyers couldn't, such as Asteroid fields. Scimitar Assault Bombers were the modern Imperial upgrade to TIE Bombers and were more efficient and cost effective than the Dupe designs.

TIE Defenders outclass every fighter except the fastest interceptors and super-heavy bombers in their roles. Trying to compare overgen or superiority craft to multi-role strike-fighters never works, much to the chagrin of F-35 fanboys. The Gunboat fit the niche of a Assault Fighter-bomber to take on missions regular TIEs couldn't. The only Imperial craft capable of doing the same mission profile was the TIE Defender, which is over costed and had the facilities to produce it destroyed during Zaarin's attempted coup along with the Avengers. I'm excluding TIE Oppressor s and TIE Hunters for a reason, one was an experimental craft and the other was solely used by Storm Commandos.

The most important thing you forget is that all three roles you blurted out are subjective. Starwings are cheaper than Defenders even if you get rid of ion cannons or trtractor. Punishers are completely situational and over priced, and lastly you threw in aesthetically because you have no real credibility to your opinion. The only real reason why you're not going to see a Gunboat is because of FFG comforming to Disney and riding the New gen hype train.

Yes