FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

I wonder how you would have felt if a yellow graffiti'd TIE turned up and started shooting at the Imperials...

It feels weird unless you consider that while Imperials are all about uniformity, rebels are about desperation and whatever they can get their hands on. The graffiti really helps there.

I wonder how you would have felt if a yellow graffiti'd TIE turned up and started shooting at the Imperials...

It feels weird unless you consider that while Imperials are all about uniformity, rebels are about desperation and whatever they can get their hands on. The graffiti really helps there.

It would be stupid given how IFFs and roes actually work.

I don't get why so many folks are so into this one. Sure it's a cool ship but I've never thought it really felt imperial.

Even back in the day when I was playing X-Wing, it always kinda harshed my buzz when they showed up. It was so out of place it always sorta broke my immersion.

That's specifically why people love it. It was a flexible, albeit sluggish and rugged ship that came out of hyperspace to save your ass. You have to had played TIE Fighter to appreciate non TIE or shielded Imperial craft. In X-wing or Rogue Squadron, you just sat there and mowed TIEs down without too much trouble. Then Harkin turns on you and five of these ******* drop out and stack ****.

The Empire could commission whatever craft it wanted, some backwater planet could have had Imperial Z-95s and training TIEs for all we care.

Edited by incinerator950

Death on Black Wings... I always loved the launch animation in TIE. Especially for the Gunboat.

Was there ever an animation in the games of the gunboat actually unfolding its wings? It seems in TIE Fighter we have the launch from the bay and then boom we are flying and the wings are already deployed. Also GUNBOATS make hyperjumps with their wings deployed, just like big brother Lambda, while X and B-wings close their s-foils...strange.

Death on Black Wings... I always loved the launch animation in TIE. Especially for the Gunboat.

Was there ever an animation in the games of the gunboat actually unfolding its wings? It seems in TIE Fighter we have the launch from the bay and then boom we are flying and the wings are already deployed. Also GUNBOATS make hyperjumps with their wings deployed, just like big brother Lambda, while X and B-wings close their s-foils...strange.

I think that's because the wings on the Lambda and the Gunboat aren't s-foils, per se.  They're meant to fold strictly for storage, whereas s-foils are for <insert supposed purpose of s-foils, which I'm too lazy to look up at this particular moment>.

Edited by JJ48

I think that's because the wings on the Lambda and the Gunboat aren't s-foils, per se.  They're meant to fold strictly for storage, whereas s-foils are for <insert supposed purpose of s-foils, which I'm too lazy to look up at this particular moment>.

TIE Hunters had shields, Ion cannons, and S-foils.  The Imperial commander's guide had Madines scribbling saying he loved the craft, dumping them in a reservoir and pulling them out no worse for wear. 

By the way, the Missileboat has only two pilots, a ps4 mu 1, and ps 9 Maarek Steele.

Wasn't Maarek Stele the pilot of Mu 1?  Maybe Mu 2 would be better as the second one.

Also, Missile Boats shouldn't have to discard missile cards in order to use them (other munitions should still be limited).

Also, Missile Boats shouldn't have to discard missile cards in order to use them (other munitions should still be limited).

An xwing can, in universe, carry 6 torpedoes, but only one ingame; a B wing 12 (extra munitions ingame). A fully loaded missile boat could carry 30 torpedoes or 40 missiles. So ingame, it should be 5-7 at max.

Probably this will be represented as 2 slots of torpedoes and 2 of missiles, like a TIE bomber. That, with extra munitions, are 6 shots. Maybe a title that let the boat use those slots indistinctly.

TIE Hunters had shields, Ion cannons, and S-foils.  The Imperial commander's guide had Madines scribbling saying he loved the craft, dumping them in a reservoir and pulling them out no worse for wear. 

I feel that a tie fighter floating in a lake, top hatch just above the waterline, with the pilot perched on top with a fishing line, would make an amazing picture.

I feel that a tie fighter floating in a lake, top hatch just above the waterline, with the pilot perched on top with a fishing line, would make an amazing picture.

Remind me to commission this later, I'd even pay that marvel artist who redid Marek Steele if it was worth it.

An xwing can, in universe, carry 6 torpedoes, but only one ingame; a B wing 12 (extra munitions ingame). A fully loaded missile boat could carry 30 torpedoes or 40 missiles. So ingame, it should be 5-7 at max.

Probably this will be represented as 2 slots of torpedoes and 2 of missiles, like a TIE bomber. That, with extra munitions, are 6 shots. Maybe a title that let the boat use those slots indistinctly.

Or, a Missileboat only 4 attack missile that doesn't require a discard. But does require a focus or target lock.

"Advanced concussion missile pods"

Attack: Focus Or Target lock.

When attacking at range 1 you may turn a blank result into a focus result. When attacking at range 3, you may spend a target lock after the "modify defense dice" step.

4 attack, range 1-3.

1 point (which is dumb cheap, but due to the ships pricing still limits you to one a squad)

By the way, the Missileboat has only two pilots, a ps4 mu 1, and ps 9 Maarek Steele.

Wasn't Maarek Stele the pilot of Mu 1?  Maybe Mu 2 would be better as the second one.

Yea I made a typo, it should be "Mu Squadron pilot" and Steele.