FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

I would argue that a minority of people wanted the /fo because everyone thought the /sf was cooler.

No argument, but I would have preferred if Lucisney made an upgrade to the Interceptor, not line fighter.  Nostalgia and fanservicing doesn't take into account military logistics and competency in the SWverse apparently.

Isn't the first order's whole deal that they're fanboys captured at birth?

Unlike the Imperial Remnant from the EU

I would argue that a minority of people wanted the /fo because everyone thought the /sf was cooler.

No argument, but I would have preferred if Lucisney made an upgrade to the Interceptor, not line fighter.  Nostalgia and fanservicing doesn't take into account military logistics and competency in the SWverse apparently.

Isn't the first order's whole deal that they're fanboys captured at birth?

Unlike the Imperial Remnant from the EU

This is probably the most acceptable headcanon I've heard in years.  You've earned a beer from me. 

Who says they wont in the next movie...?

Updated A-wings have been confirmed for Ep 8. No word on any actual new ships other than some production art from Ep 7 that might hint at future ships.

And military competency? I never saw any of this in the OT!!!! Why would the sequels be any different?

Personally I'm kind of disappointed that the the /sf didn't have Interceptor wings. Same 2-seat cockpit and external wrap-around engine layout, same deuterium tanks ringed around the connecting struts, but those beautiful Interceptor wings. And completely removing the standard below-the-cockpit TIE lasers in favor of the whole bottom section of the ball being a combined turret assembly and missile magazine.

If I had any artistic talent, I'd mod a TIE/sf along those lines.

Edited by Red XIV

Updated A-wings have been confirmed for Ep 8. No word on any actual new ships other than some production art from Ep 7 that might hint at future ships.

And military competency? I never saw any of this in the OT!!!! Why would the sequels be any different?

When were improved A-Wings confirmed? Were they snuck in when LA made those ******* terrible U-Wing and TIE Stryker concepts?

Also, Lucas isn't directing. They can afford to pay a few contractors and veterans to improve immersion and up the factor in these movies.

New A-wings are for Episode 8, not Rogue One. There are some partial pictures of the new A-wing in a green screen studio from when Prince William and Prince Harry visited the set. No details about it and none of the photos show the whole ship, but it's different enough from the RotJ A-wing to clearly be a new version.

95846388_harry-large_trans++CVUZkBwq4EHT

Edited by Red XIV

Personally I'm kind of disappointed that the the /sf didn't have Interceptor wings. Same 2-seat cockpit and external wrap-around engine layout, same deuterium tanks ringed around the connecting struts, but those beautiful Interceptor wings. And completely removing the standard below-the-cockpit TIE lasers in favor of the whole bottom section of the ball being a combined turret assembly and missile magazine.

I would have loved an update to the Advanced, similar to the Avenger. We can always dream.

I would have loved an update to the Advanced, similar to the Avenger. We can always dream.

I just move on. Instead of the new canon books, I'm thinking of starting The Culture series.

I just move on. Instead of the new canon books, I'm thinking of starting The Culture series.

This is probably a great move, just start with Player of Games instead of whichever one's the chronological start.

This is probably a great move, just start with Player of Games instead of whichever one's the chronological start.

Keep in mind that the Culture is more Star Trek than Star Wars. Utopian supercivilization that justifies it's existance by how subtly it can violate the prime directive and guide civilizations to peaceful utopia.

Hi guys,

​let me join your ranks. Since the old games, the XG-1 Star Wing is my favorite ship. Like you guys i hoped for so long that FFG will release that ship from the classic X-Wing\ Tie-Fighter series.

Now i think if that ship is not appearing in SW-Rebels, there won't be a place for it again in the few waves.

I didn't to wait any longer so i think FFG doesn't want my money. I'm sure i'm not the only one . ( I would have bought 10 of it for sure )

I see no interest in Wave 9  & 10. For me it seems to go in the wrong direction.

So i made my own Cards / Upgrade Cards for the gunboat.

​"Tau" Squadron, Standing by
Gunboat.png

Edited by DarkmanSW

Hi guys,

​let me join your ranks. Since the old games, the XG-1 Star Wing is my favorite ship. Like you guys i hoped for so long that FFG will release that ship from the classic X-Wing\ Tie-Fighter series.

Now i think if that ship is not appearing in SW-Rebels, there won't be a place for it again in the few waves.

I didn't to wait any longer so i think FFG doesn't want my money. I'm sure i'm not the only one . ( I would have bought 10 of it for sure )

I see no interest in Wave 9  & 10. For me it seems to go in the wrong direction.

So i made my own Cards / Upgrade Cards for the gunboat.

​"Tau" Squadron, Standing by

Gunboat.png

You children are lovely!

Can you show us more pictures? (and the cards)

Keep in mind that the Culture is more Star Trek than Star Wars. Utopian supercivilization that justifies it's existance by how subtly it can violate the prime directive and guide civilizations to peaceful utopia.

As I understand it, it's more space opera than Wars and Trek.

The Culture's not really like Star Trek much at all. They decidedly don't have a Prime Directive to break, as you said interfering with other civilisations is how they justify their existence.

Unless it's touched on in some comics or books, we don't really know what the Republic's stance on less advanced civilisations is.

Why would you start with Player of Games instead of Consider Phoebus? CB is a great introduction to the concept of the Culture, with both an insider and an outsider's perspective.

Edited by mazz0

Wasn't Imperial Veterans something that was like really really close to some suggestion posted in this forum? I certainly remember someone quoting his own post to compare it with the official contents when that expansion was announced last year.

The double tap mechanic with ion cannon and primary for the Defender was something discussed and requested in these forums for years. That didn't keep FFG from producing and releasing what was virtually exactly that in the form of the TIE/D title.

That was me. Here are the custom cards I made about 5 months before the announcement of Imperial Vets. It's probably just coincidence, but let me dream I inspired the devs somehow...

Dream? You predicted the x7 and /D titles, with quite similar mechanics (lose cannons and missiles, gain evade action, -2 cost!), the double tap mechanic with the cannon. Tomax Bren and Countess Ryad...

If the Imperial Veterans expansion pack isn't basically your proposal, iterated a few times under testing passes, then you are either a FFG infiltrate, or a mentalist.

Edited by Azrapse

Wasn't Imperial Veterans something that was like really really close to some suggestion posted in this forum? I certainly remember someone quoting his own post to compare it with the official contents when that expansion was announced last year.

The double tap mechanic with ion cannon and primary for the Defender was something discussed and requested in these forums for years. That didn't keep FFG from producing and releasing what was virtually exactly that in the form of the TIE/D title.

That was me. Here are the custom cards I made about 5 months before the announcement of Imperial Vets. It's probably just coincidence, but let me dream I inspired the devs somehow...

Dream? You predicted the x7 and /D titles, with quite similar mechanics (lose cannons and missiles, gain evade action, -2 cost!), the double tap mechanic with the cannon. Tomax Bren and Countess Ryad...

If the Imperial Veterans expansion pack isn't basically your proposal, iterated a few times under testing passes, then you are either a FFG infiltrate, or a mentalist.

It's the midiclorians - he sees things before they happen.