FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

As for speed I'm sure it was in some legends book I read.

The early speeds given in The Thrawn Trilogy (127 light years per hour was "point five" - the top speed of a VicStar pushing its engines to the limit) ended up being retconned by the later maps - with planets being further apart than the novel timeframes and novel speeds would suggest. 

These maps seem to have been carried over to the newcanon mostly unchanged.

And the PT seem to be going with "can get from Coruscant to Mustafar (40,000-odd light years going by maps) in minutes/a couple of hours or so" (Yoda begins his fight with Palpatine as Padme's ship is entering Mustafar's atmosphere and appearing on the screens Vader is watching, and Palpatine has reached Vader by the time their fight is over and Vader has been burning for a few minutes- the novelization went so far as to say Obi-Wan saw Palpatine's shuttle coming in.)

What, the Emperor doesn't have access to ships that could outspeed anything else in the galaxy?

Evidently not, The Mary Sue Falcon trumps all.

EDIT: It's a shame canon took Han Solo's claims about the Falcon being the fastest ship in the galaxy literally.  It's clear in the original movie that he was just spouting whatever to show off to the ignorant farmboy and crazy old man (a bit like the parsec quote).

Edited by Xerandar

Alright. So you know universes where "what if the plane took off more than the car" and everyones flying everywhere?

Star wars is " what if the Space ship..?"

So you got all these shiny factory made imperial ships made by the lowest bidder. cheap. ubiquitous, easy to maintain.

Now, you get this hot rodded POS the falcon right. and it's falling apart constantly, it's an old naff hull but the internals - while barely staying together are amazingly hot.

The Falcon is FAST but not RELIABLE.

Imperial ships are by necessity reliable, or at least more so. but not as fast in the hyperdrive aspect.

If I know government procurement correctly, the Empire isn't paying bottom dollar for the TIE. ;)

Nah, it's Sienar who are cutting the corners to keep the contract. "Hyperdrive? Don't need THAT. Life support, pffft, that can go. Shields? Scrap 'em."

Poor Cygnus. They develop a well rounded and versatile space superiority fighter and are undercut by Sienar's wheeler-dealers.

EDIT: It's a shame canon took Han Solo's claims about the Falcon being the fastest ship in the galaxy literally.  It's clear in the original movie that he was just spouting whatever to show off to the ignorant farmboy and crazy old man (a bit like the parsec quote).

Lando first uses the phrase "fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy", to Han and Leia, in TESB.

And Han calls it "the fastest ship in the fleet" to Lando in ROTJ - in circumstances where hyperdrive speed would be irrelevant.

Annoyingly, a friend of mine jokingly told me that the XG-1 would have:

PS6 and PS7 Aces

Rho Sqd - PS4 A2, E1, H5, S3 - 23 points
EPT, Cannon, Missile, Missile, Torp, Title, Modification

Nu Sqd PS2 version. 21 points

Cannon, Missile, Missile, Torp, Title, Modification

Now he was drunk when he told me so I brushed it off as him fantasising about what the ship would be like and what it would need to be like to see competitive play. However, he has been right about a few things before and part of me really wanted to believe him. I guess only time will tell.

We also discussed the reason why the Gunboat and Havoc have yet to see play and we theorised that it was due to the state of the game.

Triple jumps have made quite an impact, something that even the Imperial Veteran version bombers are unlikely to achieve. Now the TIE/Punisher COULD of done matched this impact, had it of had an EPT. . . instead, it is rarely used other than to add to the completionists shelf and turn ANH grey with dust.

The release of an actual ship, known to be devastating with missile barrages and to have quite a following is a dangerous step. It MUST have an EPT for deadeye OR have an alternative way to gain target locks on higher PS targets, it MUST have guidance chips to make them more effective/actually worth using and then it needs to do something that isn't just fly straight at the enemy and focussing, just like the Jumps do. But do we really need another one of those kinds of ships?

Then you have the issue that it is a third Imperial ship that is designed for secondary weapons that just aren't used. Competitive Imperial doctrine states and I quote: "Thou shalt not remain in mine enemies arcs unless tokened" This isn't exactly what the XG-1 is going to do so unless it does it exceptionally well and consistently, it will flop.

I think it is exceptionally difficult to balance, both in game and to appease its' followers.

Believe me, the last thing I want to see is this ship die a death ala Punisher/Scyk.

GUNBOAT COMETH WAVE X!

(Marks the spot in our hearts)

I just love to think of the commotion that would come about by the Gunboat being announced. The forums would erupt (at least for a little while), all the Gunboat haters would groan, and this thread would most likely live on with discussions of strategy and photos of play.

To be perfectly honest, I just want to see the model and own half a doze of them, at this point I don't give a fiddler's fart what it's stats and rules are.

Although I think a Gunboat/Blastboat/Starchaser wave would be a good place to introduce "ion primary weapon" rules (honebrew cards to follow)

I'd play them at every opportunity because I tend to theme my lists.

I suspect I'd own 4 at first, then later down the line it'd increase to 8 (custom paint scheme).

The Mando Fang fighters will also likely get this Treatment, Clan Bartha needs custom paint.

I'm too into RPG and Fantasy, having the squad.

We've got the 128th Recon wing for Empire. Sunrider Squadron for Rebels, Now Clan Bartha for Scum.

Edited by DariusAPB

Yep. 4 tricked X and Y (BTL, ion) vs 4 Gunboats(missiles) 4 alphas, 4 scimitar (torpedos, missiles) and 2 minimum gozers.

I'd play it.

X-wings and Y-wings would have to have EPTs though and a higher PS to make up.

Edited by DariusAPB

If I know government procurement correctly, the Empire isn't paying bottom dollar for the TIE. ;)

Nah, it's Sienar who are cutting the corners to keep the contract. "Hyperdrive? Don't need THAT. Life support, pffft, that can go. Shields? Scrap 'em."

Poor Cygnus. They develop a well rounded and versatile space superiority fighter and are undercut by Sienar's wheeler-dealers.

You don't need an M&E contract if the TIE's blown up!

Lando first uses the phrase "fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy", to Han and Leia, in TESB.

And Han calls it "the fastest ship in the fleet" to Lando in ROTJ - in circumstances where hyperdrive speed would be irrelevant.

Thats what I meant by canon!