FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

I am thinking something similar - two fully-loaded Gozanti cruisers and four Gunboats.

Or a Lambda alongside it's punchy little brethren.

I'm just looking forward to finally being able to hyper in and inspect containers of various shapes and sizes to figure out which ones have contraband!

(Wasn't that something like 90% of flying a gunboat in TIE Fighter?)

I am thinking something similar - two fully-loaded Gozanti cruisers and four Gunboats.

I'm just looking forward to finally being able to hyper in and inspect containers of various shapes and sizes to figure out which ones have contraband!

That was EVERY ship in that game. Because the Empire had an actual job to do.

That was EVERY ship in that game. Because the Empire had an actual job to do.

I think it happened a bit more often in gunboats, though, seeing as how often you had to hyperspace to where you were inspecting things, anyway.

That being said, one thing from those games that I absolutely do NOT want to see remade are those accursed Type C mines.  <shudder>

The inspection objectives were usually side objectives from what I remember.  The main goal was usually just attack, defend, or disable certain ships.

The Order was more concerned with the inspections as they were trying to find a traitor, so yes, they were mostly optional objectives.

Also, please Rebels, please give us the Gunboat.

If I remember my Tie Fighter correctly, Thrawn designed the Missile Boat. I for one would love to see that in x wing. A dedicated ordinance ship with high maneuverability and a truly absurd payload. *Sigh, a guy can dream

I could see logic that could lead that to it happening.

"What has thrawn done in legends, that we can be inspired by?" *goes to wiki*

"Thrawn trilogy... Thrawn duoligy... Whats this? Designed a starfighter before endor? Tell me more!"

I like to believe Thrawn didn't personally design the fighter so much as he said, "Missiles are the primary enemy of the TIE Defender, so design a fighter that uses concussion missiles as the primary armament, and can outrun said missiles". Secret Imperial designers granted his request while slapping in another then-experimental system of the SLAM. They only existed for elite pilots to put a dagger in Zaarin's throat, and once they were done they weren't needed anymore and got lost.

If Rebels gives us a Gunboat, I swear I will never bad mouth anything Rebels ever again. Even if Hera and a resurrected Inquisitor have a romance whilst riding rainbow dash and twilight princess in a My Little Pony crossover.

But I'm a realist so I guess my last purchase will remain the TAP.

I caved. <_<

I still have absolute faith that FFG will release the Gunboat in the future, but I could wait no longer. I started to think of what cool model I could use as a proxy for my B-wing in my HotAC campaign seeing as my friends have cool ships. The obvious answer was the beautiful Gunboat, so I bought one. Ultra detail because it's worth it. Now I can't wait to get it and paint it up!

The excitement is killing me! :)

I caved. <_<

I still have absolute faith that FFG will release the Gunboat in the future, but I could wait no longer. I started to think of what cool model I could use as a proxy for my B-wing in my HotAC campaign seeing as my friends have cool ships. The obvious answer was the beautiful Gunboat, so I bought one. Ultra detail because it's worth it. Now I can't wait to get it and paint it up!

Please show us later pictures of the beauty painted!

Saw this thread was at the bottom of page 1, so figured it needed a friendly bump.

I haven't played TIE Fighter since I was a kid. Which edition do I need to buy to fly the Defender and Gunboat? Should I download off of gog.com, or find a used cd? I don't know the differences between TF special edition (95, 95), X-wing vs TF, etc. 

Any recommendations for a good joystick that isn't expensive? 

You get to fly the TIE Defender in the last two-three missions of the main game. The Gunboat is with you as early as mission...3? Where you have to take out the Lulsla. You want to get the Defenders of the Empire expansion with the set if possible, since that's where you get many Defender missions and also some play with the Missile Boat.

I use a XBox 360 USB controller for my joystick needs. I can almost imagine it's a TIE Fighter control yoke as well, which is nice.

Saw this thread was at the bottom of page 1, so figured it needed a friendly bump.

I haven't played TIE Fighter since I was a kid. Which edition do I need to buy to fly the Defender and Gunboat? Should I download off of gog.com, or find a used cd? I don't know the differences between TF special edition (95, 95), X-wing vs TF, etc. 

Any recommendations for a good joystick that isn't expensive? 

"X-Wing vs TIE fighter" is a distinct game from TIE Fighter.  As I recall, it was more geared towards multiplayer than towards campaign, and you could fly a TIE Defender because it would have been too overpowered.

Digital copies of TIE Fighter aren't a bad idea, and will probably ensure a complete experience, but you may need to look around a bit for instructions on how to get it to work on a Windows 10 system, as the sound and graphics can be a bit buggy.

If Rebels gives us a Gunboat, I swear I will never bad mouth anything Rebels ever again. Even if Hera and a resurrected Inquisitor have a romance whilst riding rainbow dash and twilight princess in a My Little Pony crossover.

Surely you meant Twilight Sparkle?  Don't worry, Hera is one step ahead of you.

13256619_608895019271048_1571659133_n.jp

You get to fly the TIE Defender in the last two-three missions of the main game. The Gunboat is with you as early as mission...3? Where you have to take out the Lulsla. You want to get the Defenders of the Empire expansion with the set if possible, since that's where you get many Defender missions and also some play with the Missile Boat.

I use a XBox 360 USB controller for my joystick needs. I can almost imagine it's a TIE Fighter control yoke as well, which is nice.

Ok. GOG includes Defenders of the Empire expansion. I don't think I can use a Xbox 360 controller on my mac or on my windows xp pc. Thanks!

Ok. GOG includes Defenders of the Empire expansion. I don't think I can use a Xbox 360 controller on my mac or on my windows xp pc. Thanks!

You can. The u in USB means universal.

You can. The u in USB means universal.

Yeah, but if it's a wireless controller, you'd need an adaptor as most computers don't have the integrated wireless capability that the 360 has.

I'm not sure if Best Buy still sells joysticks, or what their selection is like if they do, but you should be able to find a cheap joystick online for $10-20, maybe a bit more if you want a smoother feel or more buttons and whatnot.

Didn't all the controllers come with a breakaway cable? For charging? Cause it does more than that.

If you bought it used, as I did, it may not have that cable or the cable may be old and worn out.  (I always either used physical batteries or battery packs that recharged on a stand)

Surely you meant Twilight Sparkle?  Don't worry, Hera is one step ahead of you.

13256619_608895019271048_1571659133_n.jp

I like the Rainbow Power colors on the Phantom.

Edit: You know, from the end of Season 4, and that one episode in Season 5.

Edited by jodudeit

I caved. <_<

Looking forward to seeing it!

My own plan was to give FFG until the Cyber Monday sales this year, if still no news, then look elsewhere. Unfortunately, thanks to the exchange rate crash, Cyber Monday's probably not going to save me much anyway! Yet another reason to curse Brexit...