FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

The picture here is what i am talkin

Please, please do not do me the disservice of ever assuming I don't know how to keep my lasers supercharged.

Seriously though, on a shot to shot comparison in XVT give it a test some time.

"Thats the one game in yhat series i barely had a chance to play. Maybe in that game they did make tie cannons weaker."

That's the only game apart from XWA you can objectively test.

X-wing, it's a given your guns are stronger than theirs because it's rebel centric.

TIE, the original demo your guns were amazingly weak, and were upgraded in the main game, I think they are still weaker than "red" lasers.

XvT is where you can test it, XWA ... I don't know, I always just assumed now you mention it..

As a side note: I'm not asking anyone to take my word for anything. Feel free to make your own tests in XvT against containers in multiplayer or something.

Edited by DariusAPB

The Tibanna Gas explanation is the one I'd heard before, but of course it's all just fluff made up by somebody after the event, it clearly was never planned.

Also, if the gas used in a TIE Fighter is so much better than that in a Y-Wing or A-Wing why do they have the same attack value?

Game mechanic, A4 Y-Wings carry two heavy laser cannons and would be much more powerful than the a-wing interceptors twin reg laser cannons.

It's always important to remember that game mechanics exist to make a playable and marketable game. They are not meant to precisely mimic the canonical fluff of the game's universe.

Nobody would play Imperials if you had to own 10 TIE Fighters that each died in one hit, lol. The same as Space Marines in 40K can't be representative of their fluff because otherwise the Space Marine player would need 15 models and the Tyranid one would need 200.  FFG wants you to buy models, and to do that, you have to want to play the game. So liberties are taken, and mechanics are streamlined. We're talking about a game that has very set probabilities on eight sided dice. There isn't enough room for nuance.

The Tibanna Gas explanation is the one I'd heard before, but of course it's all just fluff made up by somebody after the event, it clearly was never planned.

Also, if the gas used in a TIE Fighter is so much better than that in a Y-Wing or A-Wing why do they have the same attack value?

Game mechanic, A4 Y-Wings carry two heavy laser cannons and would be much more powerful than the a-wing interceptors twin reg laser cannons.

It's always important to remember that game mechanics exist to make a playable and marketable game. They are not meant to precisely mimic the canonical fluff of the game's universe.

Nobody would play Imperials if you had to own 10 TIE Fighters that each died in one hit, lol. The same as Space Marines in 40K can't be representative of their fluff because otherwise the Space Marine player would need 15 models and the Tyranid one would need 200.  FFG wants you to buy models, and to do that, you have to want to play the game. So liberties are taken, and mechanics are streamlined. We're talking about a game that has very set probabilities on eight sided dice. There isn't enough room for nuance.

True, but it's also true that a lot of this so called fluff was invented long after the phenomenon it explains first appeared, by different people, and is often kinda stupid.

In both X-Wing, TIE Fighter and XvT, green lasers and red lasers deal exactly the same amount of damage. In particular, 500 hp worth of damage.

The weak version of these lasers (when you weapon charge is under 50%) deals 250 damage, both for green and red lasers.

So the color is just cosmetic in the case of the videogames.

In both X-Wing, TIE Fighter and XvT, green lasers and red lasers deal exactly the same amount of damage. In particular, 500 hp worth of damage.

The weak version of these lasers (when you weapon charge is under 50%) deals 250 damage, both for green and red lasers.

So the color is just cosmetic in the case of the videogames.

It's so that you can easily identify the good guys and the bad guys.  Our military fires green (good) lasers while the rebel terrorists fire red (evil) lasers.

h*

Silly wookie, the thread about "h*" is Jimbonix's rant about stores not selling things before others get them. Not this gunboat thread.

Though, I have to admit the following is apt: Where the h*** is our Gunboat FFG?

Edited by knavelead