FTS Gecko

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

After a quick look - the book says blaster gas colour is dependent on both the gas type and the crystal focusing the bolt. Doesn't say anything about green bolts being associated with higher-quality gas though.

So THAT's why the empire has a base on Ilium! I thought it was just for jedi hunting!

..fluff made up by somebody after the event, it clearly was never planned...

What do you mean by made up fluff?

I mean it is fluff that was made up after the event rather than something planned before the effects were ever made.

Yeah, but this would be the case for 99% of technical data regarding Star Wars ;)

I mean it is fluff that was made up after the event rather than something planned before the effects were ever made.

Yeah, but this would be the case for 99% of technical data regarding Star Wars ;)

And the other .9998, yeah :P

Curiously, in the OT, sometimes TIEs appear shooting red lasers

It's not red. It's darkish yellow.
Isn't that orange?

No, dark yellow is a gross browny colour. Needs red in it to make it orange.

DARK_YELLOW.PNG

Edited by mazz0

What are we talking about again?

GUNBOAT COMETH!

I wonder if this discussion about laser colors and Interceptor laser numbers is some anti-gunboater's plot to get usoff topic from the Gunobat?!? Haha.

No... it's a plot to keep the Gunboat thread bumped. :ph34r:

IT took 15 months for this thread to reach page 50.

It took almost 7 months to reach page 100.

It took just over 1 month to reach page 150

At this rate, by the time wave 10 is announced this thread will have crashed FFG's servers and bankrupted them with forum upkeep.

No wonder some peope feel like the gunboat is being talked about too much.

It took just over 1 month to reach page 150

Well, the thread got "Imperial Reinforcements"...

At this rate, by the time wave 10 is announced this thread will have crashed FFG's servers and bankrupted them with forum upkeep.

Working as intended. When the voice of justice is not heard, we employ terror.

No wonder some peope feel like the gunboat is being talked about too much.

There is a way to fix this...

The TIE Bomber doesn't have those nipples. From where does it shoot its lasers?

tiebomber1.jpg

I think the Bomber's two lasers are between the cockpit and the bomb/missile tube. If you look closely there are two circles, one on top of the other, in the bottom center. That seems like it should be the lasers, since there's no other place for them.

In the failed beta for Star Wars: Attack Squadrons, those two circles are indeed exactly where the lasers came from. In all of the other X-Wing games that I have played, it was from the sides. However, there's nothing on any model I can find that indicates a laser cannon on or around the sides of the bomber.

Along the lines of fluff and things that were not originally intended.... 

The Empire is not officially run by the Sith. The Republic used green lasers - there might be a tie-in with the Republic's laser colors, the Clonetroopers' blaster bolt colors, and the lightsaber colors used by the Jedi. 

The Separatists used red and virtually everybody knew (whether they admitted that it was the truth or chalked it up to a Jedi lie and Republic propaganda) that the Seppies were led by a Sith. While the Empire might not desire to hold onto anything left by the Jedi, the legacy of the Separatists would be even more despised. After all, the Republic won. The entire galaxy knows the Republic uses green and the Empire's legitimacy is built on the strength and bureaucracy of the Republic, not on the unpopularity of the Jedi. 

Edited by Vigil

tiebomber1.jpg

I think the Bomber's two lasers are between the cockpit and the bomb/missile tube. If you look closely there are two circles, one on top of the other, in the bottom center. That seems like it should be the lasers, since there's no other place for them.

In the failed beta for Star Wars: Attack Squadrons, those two circles are indeed exactly where the lasers came from. In all of the other X-Wing games that I have played, it was from the sides. However, there's nothing on any model I can find that indicates a laser cannon on or around the sides of the bomber.

RIP, Attack Squadrons ; _ ;

Found it. It's from the Star Wars Fact File.

Which issue, which page, and what was the exact phrasing?

Curiously, in the OT, sometimes TIEs appear shooting red lasers

It's not red. It's darkish yellow.

I was under the impression that when a red blaster bolt is fired, it often has a yellow muzzle flash, despite the bolt itself being red all the way through.

Edited by Ironlord

Found it. It's from the Star Wars Fact File.

Which issue, which page, and what was the exact phrasing?

Weapons&Technology, Page: LAS2.

"Spitzenmodelle, oft schon an der typischen grünen Färbung ihres Lichtstrahls zu erkennen, die auf die Verwendung hochreinen Tibannagases hinweist, entfalten jedoch selbst auf große Entfernungen noch ihre tödliche Wirkung."

"Top line guns, often easily recognizable through their typical green color of ther ray, which is an indicator of highly pure Tibanna Gas, deliver their deadly force even at great distances."

To be on topic again ;)

IMG_20160619_023140_zpsoskmcu1x.jpg?w=48

Is that to scale? I always thought the Gunboat was bigger than that.

Edit: and I know it's not finished, I wasn't joking! :P

Edited by mazz0

To be on topic again ;)IMG_20160619_023140_zpsoskmcu1x.jpg?w=48

Is that to scale? I always thought the Gunboat was bigger than that.

Edit: and I know it's not finished, I wasn't joking! :P

Yep it's to scale ^^

The Gunboat is rather short but pretty wide.

Why should it be a joke? xD

I thought people might have thought I was implying it's too small because it doesn't have any wings! :P

tiebomber1.jpg

I think there different versions that have cannons placed in different spots. The standard tie bomber doesn't have laser cannons in the place your talking about because that is were its special tactical jammer is stored, reactor, and retro and maneuvering thrusters.

The pilots cockpit on standarx bombers has the cannons on each side of the cockpit.

The different color of Blaster and Laser (which in the SW Universe are in facto Plasma weapons) shots is mainly explained by the quality of the Tibanna gas which is used.

Red -> Low Quality

Green -> Good Quality

Hand blasters and vehicle weapons are so commonly powerful enough compared to their enemies to geht their job done with low Quality gas.

But on capital ships the Empire wants to have more punch and this is using high Quality gas.

The Alliance simply can't afford food quality and thus shoots red lasers.

Blasters are plasma particle beam weapons. Lasers, going be new description in swep7 cross section book, are hard light lasers. See the gas that is used in the lasing process is super cold, hence why its used as hyperdrive cooling, the laser is crafted into a bolt before leaving the barrel, it now.can deliver more energy photons psi in its new forum and it shouldn't defuse itself because of traveling great distances since the photons are bound together, look similar to molecules.

I am basing their hard light on how we have made it in 2013. The description for what lasers are in sw fits this too a t.

Your color examples are correct.

The Tibanna Gas explanation is the one I'd heard before, but of course it's all just fluff made up by somebody after the event, it clearly was never planned.

Also, if the gas used in a TIE Fighter is so much better than that in a Y-Wing or A-Wing why do they have the same attack value?

Game mechanic, A4 Y-Wings carry two heavy laser cannons and would be much more powerful than the a-wing interceptors twin reg laser cannons.

And why in the x-wing series do "green" lasers do 25% less damage?

Going by the players guide and playing time, i can say thats not true for TIE Fighter, its part of the x-wing series not sure if you are not counting it as such though.

Basically turbos, most the time, and every laser cannon does the same ammount of damage. Even if you twin link or quad link there wont be much change in damage. The only benefit you get for twin or quad linking is making it easier to hit your enemy.

Because there is not better explanation, I would take the one given in the TIE Fighter game. In the TIE Interceptor, they are warhead launchers.

Even when the standard load is zero most of the time, sometimes TIE Interceptors were equipped with a special load of 8 missiles. Perhaps that would explain why we see it shooting red "things" in that scene. They aren't lasers, but missiles looking like "red comets" (just like those from the A-Wings and Falcon in the same movie).

Thats not a scene from the movie, rather its a scene from the movie thats edited to have a interceptor in it. If you look closely the scene your looking at is the scene right after lando talks about fighting sd at point blank range, two interceptors chase the falcon of the screen. The picture here is that scene only its stretchedvand shrunk and has a new fighter added in the picture.

There is a better explanation:chin_by_odanan-da6otgo.jpg

The picture here is what i am talking about

And why in the x-wing series do "green" lasers do 25% less damage?

Transfer more energy to Weapons.

Please, please do not do me the disservice of ever assuming I don't know how to keep my lasers supercharged.

Seriously though, on a shot to shot comparison in XVT give it a test some time.

Thats the one game in yhat series i barely had a chance to play. Maybe in that game they did make tie cannons weaker. Edited by Black Knight Leader